Author Topic: Shiny spots  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Ingar

Shiny spots
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:12:50 PM »
My new, but used Genos have a shiny spot on the the matt surface which is due to fingertouch. Is there any way to get rid of it? It is recomended to wipe the surface with a dry cloth, but it does not help. What do you use to clean your Genos?
Regards Ingar

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:15:15 PM by Ingar »

Offline Toril S

Re: Shiny spots
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:23:11 PM »
I too have a couple of shiny spots on my Genos now! They do not vanish after wiping the surface with a soft cloth with a drop of clean water on it. So my guess is that the surface has been worn down a little bit by the touch of my fingers. Other members here have also told of this happening.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
My musician friend bought a cheap toy keyboard for my grandson a few years back. My grandson played it from about age 4 to 10. I can say he wasn't always gentle with it and there were lots of buttons to explore. The surface of that "toy" is still mint. My $6,000 Genos has shiny spots and one factory defect. For the factory surface defect, Yamaha refunded me some money, so it's not really in the equation. What is in the equation is the fact that they have cheaped out on the quality of the case.

The good news is the internal stuff is pristine. I'd rather have a few blemishes than a terrible sound for my $6,000, althought we used to get both in the same package - the Tyros series comes to mind :)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
Years ago all black keyboards would do this especially Technics keyboards. It would not be long before you had shiny rings around the volume knobs and buttons but we accepted that this would happen if we used it a lot for hours of enjoyment and did not let it worry us.

Janus

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
Years ago all black keyboards would do this especially Technics keyboards. It would not be long before you had shiny rings around the volume knobs and buttons but we accepted that this would happen if we used it a lot for hours of enjoyment and did not let it worry us.

You can use transparant pieces of tape under the knobs
When they become dirty use new pieces
And by resale remove the tape and the keyboard looks as new

Gr.Jan

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
I have always used a SMALL amount of a regular household spray liquid glass cleaner on my boards ie. Windowlene or Mr Muscle etc...
Obviously not spayed onto the board itself - but a just a little on a soft cloth CAREFULLY APPLIED has always worked well to remove grease, which is often the cause of shinny patches.
Heavy use around switches and knobs does erode the plastic surface and you would think for the cost makers could provide added protection for these areas.

As Janus says...the clear transfers do help to protect from damage or stop it looking/getting worse.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
Yes I manage to remove the shiny spots beside exit button..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Janus

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
My new, but used Genos have a shiny spot on the the matt surface which is due to fingertouch. Is there any way to get rid of it? It is recomended to wipe the surface with a dry cloth, but it does not help. What do you use to clean your Genos?
Regards Ingar
I have anothe resolutie
I got a 20 years old psr9000pro
i use it as master board most knobs are the same as on the tyros
The greatest advantage is i spare the key contacts on the tyros
The contacts on the psr9000pro are metal selfs cleaning springs
In the 20 years a us it never trouble with the contacts

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Yes I manage to remove the shiny spots beside exit button..
How?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:02 PM »
Yes, how please?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
Hi
Shiny spots will disappear --How, see the doctor!!

Spray alcahol on the keyboard surface , Which comes in the form of Spec Savers glass cleaner or even vinyl record cleaner.
Always wipe with a glass cleaner cloth  as you do when cleaning your spectacles.
Or even a soft camera cloth or TV screen cloth.
Always clean the transparent screen  with soft cloth and alchahol based spray.

Another tip hairspray is good for getting biro ink from pens off a leather sofa. Works a treat. ;)

All the best
John :) Ps, if you want fun, keep taking the tablets. ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:43:03 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »
Thanks John😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
In my case, the surface was not worn, but the shiny spot was glazes grease from fingers, and I simply lift it off with some not to aggressive tape. Be wery careful about solvents because the screen printed letters can easily become affected.

Best regards Ingar

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:20:39 PM by Ingar »

The following users thanked this post: EileenL

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 11:20:52 PM »
Record cleaner works a treat  and Spectacle cleaner. Shiny spots disappear with a light spray and  rub with a very soft cloth.
Anti static cleaner. Or CD wipes.
None of this is harmful to the keyboard surface  It is very nice to my vinyl records which i treasure . It sometimes gets on the label but drys in seconds, no harm done.
I would of thought tape to be more aggressive and sticky.. especially Gorilla tape!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:22:16 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
I used spectacle cleaner and a soft cloth, but unfortunately the spots did not vanish. They are a little less visible, but still there...
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
I used spectacle cleaner and a soft cloth, but unfortunately the spots did not vanish. They are a little less visible, but still there...

If the surface is actually worn, I guess you have to live with it. But if it is glazed greas from fingers, then maybee it helps to let the cleaner work for a while. The grease maybee need som time to dissolve.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:05:08 PM by Ingar »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Thanks Ingar😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 04:02:49 PM »
Hi Toril
I suppose some people have acidy fingers
Try the spectacle cleaner again or even record cleaner , same stuff amost.
It works for me. I do it as soon as anything shiny starts to appear.
I always use a vacuum cleaner with a flat nozzle to get between the espace between the keys and bottom part of the casing.
Also go lightly over the top around the buttons and knobs and finish with a anti-static cloth.
Always use a clean damp cloth to clean the keys.
No Problem!! :)

For stubborn spots , i wonder if a little Fairy liquid would degrease the spot ( Only a very minute amount on a clean cloth or it will take forever to get off.)
It is a degreaser for sure. Use a lttle clean water on cloth not dripping and soft paper towel. Then use some spectacle cleaner to finish.
Failing that get a chainsaw on it!! ;D

All the best
John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:09:14 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks John! Good tips, minus the chainsaw😀😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
Hi folks,

I wonder why so many (arranger) keyboard owners always want an instrument that looks like it has just been unpacked from the box.

In my opinion, an instrument that is used regularly can also show certain signs of use.

Guitarists, for example, give a lot of money for brand new "Custom Shop" instruments, that look like they have been played on the road for 50+ years. This Fender Custom Shop 1963 Stratocaster (it's brand new and comes straight from the factory!) costs e.g. about 7,500 euros: ;)

>>> https://www.musik-produktiv.de/guitar-gallery/fender-custom-shop-1963-stratocaster-heavy-relic-3tsb.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:48:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »
Yes, we are a little crazy.😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »
Point taken, overover. However, where I buy my keyboards they accept trade-ins and offer very good value when I want to upgrade. They have a formula for the trade-in value of your keyboard. It has three levels:
  • Standard - functions perfectly but has some damage to the surface case and buttons
  • Clean - functions perfectly and has some wear
  • Extra clean - functions perfectly and has almost no signs of wear
In the past 25 years, I have traded in 12 keyboards - all extra clean. I received top dollar for them and hence avoided the questionable people coming to my house to "try out my keyboard for sale" for about eight hours and then not buying it. The keyboards were extra clean because I looked after them. Unfortunately, the Genos will not attain the same level on trade-in when the time comes. It gets cleaned after every gig but the cheap finish will cost me. I'll be lucky to be in the Clean category. Your vintage Fender example is totally different. You're really comparing apples and oranges :).

To be fair to overover, I've heard it said that, "If your gear is in mint shape, you're not gigging enough :)!" Whoever owned that Fender was a great player, I'm sure.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »
I used my PSR-2100 for over 14 years, and there was not a mark on it. I have had my Genos for 11 months now, and have shiny spots that do not go away with cleaning. A little sad about that, here in Norway the Genos is super expensive, but I will probable not sell it, so I will try to stop thinking about the finish. By the way, my accordion have many signs of use, it has even tumbled to the floor a couple of times :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 09:46:09 AM »
Hi
The reason for looking after your Genos is to keep it pristine for a maximum trade in for Genos 3,4,5 etc Until  the Quantum 1 is released.
Also i, like anyone else, would not like to sell a worn keyboard to anyone.
It takes only little care to keep the Genos in tip top condition.
I notice with youngsters today that their mobile phones are all scratched to pieces and they throw them around, recklessly(easy come ,easy go) then change them every year. Even on Furlough!!
I think some of us older generation did not have a lot years back and looking after things was bred into us.
All well and good with an electric guitar, as Instruments like guitars, mandolins , violins etc. They seem gain value the more they are worn in.
Thank god for musicians keeping moog synths, jupiters etc in pristine order. History there.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:21:51 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Ingar

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 02:25:58 PM »
I used my PSR-2100 for over 14 years, and there was not a mark on it. I have had my Genos for 11 months now, and have shiny spots that do not go away with cleaning. A little sad about that, here in Norway the Genos is super expensive, but I will probable not sell it, so I will try to stop thinking about the finish. By the way, my accordion have many signs of use, it has even tumbled to the floor a couple of times :)
Come to think of it, the surface on an expensive instrument like Genos can`t be of such poor quality that it get worn by finger touch. I do not belive that, there must be a way to remove greas stains.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:22 PM »
ALCOHOL BASED SPRAY!!::)

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »
I've only ever used warm water on a soft cloth.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:28 PM »
Yes that is all I use  and mine shows no shiny spots at all so far and I have had it for two years now.

Offline Stubby

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »
I agree with the recommendations for eyeglass cleaner, in addition to washing my hands before fingering the keys, assuming I remember.  It's a little easier these days since I'm not only washing more but using more alcohol-based hand sanitizer due to that nasty thing that's been circulating.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
Not grubby stubby !!! :P ;D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
Did not work for me!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
Well, why not use Preparation H for itchy spots!! ;D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 12:38:03 PM »
Don't think it would work on a keyboard surface that well John. How do you tell if it is itchy  :-\
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:39:54 PM by EileenL »

Offline mikf

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
john - doesn't work for spots on the topside, only the underside.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »
Hi Mikf

You have got that wrong . ;D
It does work on the backside!! 8) :P Midi out
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:46:11 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
Ha ha :) I will give you MIDI out .. :) LOL!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 02:12:24 PM »
I think the matt finish is very thin and easily scuffed. Below it is the solid plastic composite that is naturally shiny. No amount of anything is going to solve the problem. Those who are able to remove the shiny bits are actually removing skin oils where the surface matt finish is still intact. Give it time. It will eventually fail and reduce the keyboard's value on trade or resale, unlike the Genos predecessors :(.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
All Keyboard like cars depreciate in value the older they get. Having had some of the older keyboards especially Tecnics  that went shiny very quickly I never lost that much when part exchanging. I once worked it out that what I lost was only around £5 to £10 pounds a week which was well worth paying for something I really enjoyed using. You pay more than that for a game of Bingo which is only a couple of hours a week. Just enjoy playing lovely music.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »
HI Eileen
You are right, as if you calculate how much it is costing you on a yearly basis, also the fun factor. Roughly a thousand a year.
That is before next change.
That is Approimately £20 a week for a great keyboard. You would have to pay more weekly if you go to a football match.
I worked on the same principle by purchasing those DXR 8 Powered speakers  which has great sound quality in my room at a £1000. This for the keyboard listening.
Also i could throw a party with them if needed.
My Focal Alphas are for mixing flat response the same as my open back AKG 702's headphones for mixing. They were £400 and £119 and what a deal that was.
If i keep these speakers for the next two Genos's or whatever , then they have paid for themselves
£300 for Yamaha speakers which i personally think are sub standard for a Keyboard like the Genos with a boom box attached.
Too tinny and boomy for me with battery wires. This is my opinion only.
It is like having a Rolls Royce with a mini engine.
As you said Eileen  "You cannot take it with you to the great beyond"!!! ::) ;D
How do i know!!! ::)
It is what Guy Lombardo sings " Enyoy Yourself"!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxjnUPRwx4
All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:47:41 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »
I think Lee is spot on. The matt finish is thin. I use the data wheel and dec and inc buttons a lot., and tend to touch the surface around the buttons when I press them repeatedly. That is where the surface has become shiny.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Genos!

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:49 PM »
I'm the odd duck (one of them at least) on this forum...

I bought Mackie studio speaker monitors in 2004 for $600+ish a piece. That with a Roland VS-2480 and 4x Studio Mastering effects cards totalled at over $3k in 2004. I still use that kit for final mixing/mastering and the Antares AutoTune & United Audio LA2A & 1176LN plugs.

Yes, I do have Ike, Spike, and Nevo (waves) and iZotope Nectar, Neutron, and Ozone, plus RX7 and TONS more VST and VSTi, but I really like the "vintage warmth" of the Roland Studio.

Now, onto the odd-duck part...  We bought the Genos for its sounds and 2 keyboards-in-one perspective. I didn't buy it because it's an arranger and I'm a performer. My main instrument is Sax and my wife's is Guitar, but not a problem and sometimes we do perform. We both can play the arranger (chording) and melody with harmonies on the right hand no problem and intros/outros, etc. are second nature due to owning a Casio Workstation well over 15 years ago.

This is the odd part; we keep the Genos covered almost 100% of the time except for power-on and power-off. We have a huge air-conditioner in the studio to keep all of the equipment warm. AND, because of its cost at around $5k I tend to use other keyboards for midi, especially my 88-key weighted Roland FA-08.

I use the Genos as a 100% double sound module and now have access to Richard Losper's (through Barbara's post) interesting Backing Track Maker software. So that door is wide open and available to walk through when I get a chance to slow down a little.

So, while I do like the "black" (gray/silver would have been fine), it's magnetic dust personality and now potential wear keeps me from touching it a lot.

What that equates into is probably because I am not touching it on a regular basis, I "probably?" will never buy another Genos.

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
I love Eileen's Bingo metaphor. That's why we love you, Eileen :)!

I certainly agree that at the end of the day the big question is, "Does the Genos keyboard sound good?" It certainly does. Our seniors (and a lot of other people) love to hear us play.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
True. And instruments get worn, marks of use are normal. But we paid A LOT for these babies, so we are a little crazy when it comes to their appearance :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:49 PM »
Get your grubby little hands off that Genos!! :P :P :P ;D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
Never😀😀😀😅
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »
True. And instruments get worn, marks of use are normal. But we paid A LOT for these babies, so we are a little crazy when it comes to their appearance :)
You can buy all over protection shield for Genos.  I am considering buying a set from Prossic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:17:31 PM by Ingar »

Offline Ingar

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2020, 05:56:08 PM »
It looks like Yamaha has opted for an exclusive surface look at the expense of durability. If the matte surface get worn that easily, we can ask ourselves how exclusive it is. I think maybee it is a miss from Yamaha.

Offline soryt

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
I posted this in April and it made me think I was the only one who cared about the shiny spots on the Genos.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54954.msg429246.html#msg429246

S.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:28:17 PM by soryt »
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Ingar

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
I posted this in April and it made me think I was the only one who cared about the shiny spots on the Genos.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54954.msg429246.html#msg429246

S.
No, your not the only one. I try the best I can to only hit the buttons without touching the surface. Its not only greas from fingers, but our hands and fingers do have sweat glans an sweat contains salt who can make shiny spots wery fast. On gigs and jamming it can be wery "hot", no doupt about it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:44:26 PM by Ingar »

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2020, 01:41:46 PM »
The matt surface is not only worn off by natural body grease, which over time, is corrosive but also by your finger prints.

Human finger prints are the same as a 800 grit sandpaper or rougher, depending on the type of external work one does. I do a fair amount of physical labor and hence, have pretty rough fingertips. Had Yamaha stuck with the quality finishes of the past, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Like every other company on the planet, they put profits ahead of surface quality. Thank goodness they didn't cheap out on the sounds, which are of course, far more important :)!