Author Topic: Transmitting control change messages.  (Read 1210 times)

Offline gd47

Transmitting control change messages.
« on: July 13, 2022, 10:45:49 PM »
This is probably an easy question with a difficult answer!
Basically, I’m trying to transmit control changes 72 and 74 from my SX900 to a Hammond XPK200GL pedalboard (which controls cutoff and release on the inbuilt sound generator on the Hammond).
Ideally, I would like to assign two buttons of the Live Control section of the SX900 for these functions.
Is this possible or do I have to resort to a Yamaha MFC10/ Behringer FCB1010?
Many thanks in advance,
George.

Offline DerekA

Re: Transmitting control change messages.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46:49 AM »
#72 is release time and #74 is cutoff. If you assign those functions to the live control knobs for say R1, and you've set R1 to transmit on the MIDI channel that the Hammond is listening on, then it should work.

If you don't want the SX to be controlling the notes being played on the Hammond, then use the live control knobs to affect say R3 only and put the Hammond and R3 on the same MIDI channel.
Genos

Offline ayeff

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:17:22 PM »
Is this possible or do I have to resort to a Yamaha MFC10/ Behringer FCB1010?

The SX series do not support either of these pedal controllers!

Alan.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 03:52:15 PM »
The SX series do not support either of these pedal controllers!

Alan.

They are not pedal controllers, they are sound controllers.

Actually it does... both transmit and receive.  Look at the Implementation Chart in the Data List Book.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ayeff

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 08:07:50 PM »
Hi Joe H,

I was refering to the pedal operated hardware (strictly speaking I should have used to term "Foot Controller" rather than Pedal Conroller).

The CCs 72 and 74 are "Sound Controllers" not the MFC10 or FC1010!

It is the Foot Controllers that are not supported on the SX series - unlike the Tyros models which did support these pieces of hardware.

If you know a way to do this, then I am sure the OP would appreciate your answering his question with instructions as to how, as indeed I would, as my FC1010 is now lying redundant since I changed my Tyros for the SX900.

We await your instructions with eager anticipation.

Alan.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »
He can do it several ways.  Use the Live Control knobs for R1 ch1 and R2 ch3 (if the Hammond can be set to receive on the correct channel),  Use the Mixing Console controls for Song files (send to the Hammond on the correct channel), or use an external MIDI controller.

If the sx900 allows you to assign a Live Control function to the foot pedal... then go for it!

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 02:28:05 AM »
I forgot to mention that he will have to select the MIDI Template for Song.  If he wants to control the Hammond while using a style then he will have to edit the ALL PARTS template and turn on the Song channels to transmit the controllers he adjusts in the Song Mixing Console.  He can save his User MIDI Template and give it a name. He can select a controller on any channel then use the Data Wheel for faster adjustments.

I don't see a way to use a sweep pedal to send the controller messages except for Volume.  As I stated above, if the sx900 allows Live Control options to be assigned the foot pedal that's the best case scenario.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 02:33:32 AM by Joe H »