Author Topic: External monitor?  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Stratcat

External monitor?
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »
Hello friends, I’ve read in the manual that there is a list online at Yamaha of compatible USB display adaptors but I’m having trouble finding that.
Hoping someone here can direct me to that list or inform me of what you use that works for connecting external monitors
Thank you
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, PSR SX900, 1987 Strat+

Offline JohnS

Re: External monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
Hi Jim,
Surely there is no need for specific monitors, any make will do the job?
I may be wrong but  ......
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
I believe it is the adapter the member is talking about.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
Hi Jim,

Here is a link to all the SX900 downloads on Yamaha's UK site...

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

You will find the Display Adapter list in the 'Other Downloads' group near the bottom of the web page at the above link.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 11:58:26 PM »
Thank you everyone
Ian, I found it thanks to you.
Now to search for which one to purchase.
Thank you,
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, PSR SX900, 1987 Strat+

paulbeteivaz

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
Does anyone find any of the recommended USB to display adapters? I was unable to find any of them since mostly are discontinued.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 08:29:21 PM »
Does anyone find any of the recommended USB to display adapters? I was unable to find any of them since mostly are discontinued.

I use this one: https://www.diamondmm.com/product/diamond-bvu165-usb-external-video-display-adapter/

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline beginpsrsx900

PSR SX900, PA1000, 2x FCB 1010, BCF2000, NANO PAD, NANO KONTROL, Micro, ETC, ETC

paulbeteivaz

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 09:47:33 PM »
I did buy the Plugable USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA/HDMI, and tried to use it, but it did not work, then I contacted the manufacturer, and they told me that this device cannot support any musical keyboard.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 04:36:25 PM »
Hello everyone!

May I suggest two things to anyone buying a display adaptor – either:
1)   Buy the Yamaha-tested adaptor or
2)   Do research on which non-Yamaha-tested adaptor uses the exact same chipset as the one (or ones) that are Yamaha-tested. Be aware that chipset models are usually named as a series of letters and numbers and for two chipsets to be identical, the entire name has to be identical. Even if the difference is in one letter or number, you could be looking at a completely different chipset and therefore zero guarantee it will actually work. In addition, be aware that it is very likely that some chipsets are better than others which, in the end, is why some of them work with a wider range of equipment than others. If you do happen to find some information regarding this (I myself haven’t looked into it), please be sure to post your experiences here.

I hope this is of some value to you guys.

Cheers,
Antun

paulbeteivaz

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »
Yamaha recommended display adapters are all discontinued and outdated. It is on Yamaha experts to revise their suggestion to something up to date. Unfortunately, Yamaha is lacking in this matter and although they have PSR-sx900 advertised as equipped with such a feature, it is an unreal advertisement, which either Yamaha has to do the research based on their requirements specs or all in all remove this feature from this keyboard's capabilities.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 07:29:54 PM »
Hello Guys,

I wanted to know how much it would cost the final value of the keyboard, if yamaha had inserted an HDMI video output.
Or if you didn't want to install an HDMI, at least leave the old VGA output, which already helped a lot.
This thing of having to buy an adapter I think is a marketing move, to then launch (the HDMI) in the next model and have another reason to sell the new keyboards.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 07:45:11 PM »
Or at least leave the RCA output.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Perhaps the best option today would be to mirror the keyboard display on a tablet or monitor. Wireless technology is there to be explored.
The keyboard market is always one step behind existing modernities. Korg always seems more suggestive of innovations. Yamaha two steps behind innovations.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:46:31 PM by Enildo »

Offline Patmart00n

Re: External monitor adapter solved
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
I found the Diamond Multimedia BVU-195 on EBAY USED for $21 and it works perfectly.  I did also need a Display port to HDMI cable but that was under $5.   So search EBay and see if you can grab one. 

Now if I could figure out a way to output the hdmi signal to a smart phone or tablet I wouldn’t need a big monitor.   Small monitors are just as expensive.  $75 to $150.   Some day I might be able to play a gig in the sunlight.   

SX-900

Offline mhack

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 02:26:40 AM »
USB2HDTRIO
I PURCHASED THIS ONE FROM THE LIST. THE USB IS A “2”.  From I-TEC A USB ADAPTER WHICH HAS USB 2 CABLE FOR PLUGGING INTO KEYBOARD. COMES WITH CONNECTORS. MY MONITOR IS SPECTRE 24H. YOU SHOULD READ ABOUT IT FIRST. HOPE THIS HELPS.
HACK

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 12:18:39 PM »
Hello Guys,

I wanted to know how much it would cost the final value of the keyboard, if yamaha had inserted an HDMI video output.
Or if you didn't want to install an HDMI, at least leave the old VGA output, which already helped a lot.
This thing of having to buy an adapter I think is a marketing move, to then launch (the HDMI) in the next model and have another reason to sell the new keyboards.

Enildo

Hi Enildo!

I don't know how much it would cost but I imagine it wouldn't cost a lot. That being said, there are numerous costs associated with HDMI, many of which are not obvious. Licensing being one of them.

Big corporations like Yamaha always refer to the universal question of what is good enough for majority. Because Yamaha's upper-end models come equipped with big displays (certainly compared to yesteryears), they concluded that a video output is not necessary for the majority and so they didn't include it.

I think Korg has always been more forward-thinking in this respect. I hope this is not considered blasphemy on a Yamaha forum! ;)

Cheers!
Antun

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 01:51:02 PM »
Hi Enildo!

I don't know how much it would cost but I imagine it wouldn't cost a lot. That being said, there are numerous costs associated with HDMI, many of which are not obvious. Licensing being one of them.

Big corporations like Yamaha always refer to the universal question of what is good enough for majority. Because Yamaha's upper-end models come equipped with big displays (certainly compared to yesteryears), they concluded that a video output is not necessary for the majority and so they didn't include it.

I think Korg has always been more forward-thinking in this respect. I hope this is not considered blasphemy on a Yamaha forum! ;)

Cheers!
Antun

Hello Artun!

So if it wasn't possible to implement HDMI, they could have left the old VGA or RCA port, at least we had an option.
I don't think HDMI would raise the final price that much, this is not new technology. Today everything has HDMI, my TVs and desktop computer have several HDMI ports.
But I'll ask the question again: how much more would it cost if we had an HDMI output on our keyboards? $50, 100, 200?
I think it would be less than a Grant ballot!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Enildo

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »
Hello Artun!

So if it wasn't possible to implement HDMI, they could have left the old VGA or RCA port, at least we had an option.
I don't think HDMI would raise the final price that much, this is not new technology. Today everything has HDMI, my TVs and desktop computer have several HDMI ports.
But I'll ask the question again: how much more would it cost if we had an HDMI output on our keyboards? $50, 100, 200?
I think it would be less than a Grant ballot!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Enildo

There might be technical reasons why they didn’t include a VGA or a composite video output. Those are analogue connections.

If you need a video output, why not just get this one:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/i_tec_usb2hdtrio.htm

It is the same one that Yamaha recommends and it is widely available.

You’ll never get an exact number on how much something like this cost because economics of this manner are not simple. Profit margins aren’t all that high with equipment of this type (unlike TVs you’ve mentioned), hence there are so few companies that actually make hardware synthesizers.

Considering how much R&D goes into making these things and to think they can only sell a certain number of them (unlike TVs), and to sell it for low profit, one has to wonder how they even do it. It’s really amazing when you think about it.

Cheers!
Antun

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline mhack

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »
I paid about $65 for my USB2 trio adapter fron Thomann. This included $35 in shipping from UK.
Mhack