Author Topic: Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?  (Read 6360 times)

Live Musician Newbie

Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »
Hi Mods, If this question has been asked already, kindly delete this and point me to the right one.

Namaste

I am thinking to use the expression pedal to control volume of my R1 and R2 sounds.
The Manual says Yamaha FC7 .. which is difficult to procure here, or very costly (Approx 95$ if I convert to USD).

I am not very sure If I am ready to take the plunge.
I see other expression pedals on Amazon
- M audio EX P
- Nektar NXP
- Behringer FCV100 (Works both as a volume pedal and an expression pedal)
... at less than 1/3rd the price

Question 1
Are there other options to the FC7 that would do EXACTLY what the expression pedal does without affecting the response time , curve etc etc ? (Not sure about the right term) Would the above said work flawlessly?

Question 2
One thing I solely miss from the SX900 (reading the user manual) is the ability to control portamento timing via Foot controller ... Any chance if Yamaha would bring this feature to the S975 as an OS update ?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:50:11 AM by Live Musician Newbie »

Offline mikf

Re: Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Expression and volume control are just different words for the same thing. An expression pedal is just a variable resistor, and as well as controlling volume can also be used for all the other variable functions which can be pedal controlled, like pitch bend. A sustain type pedal, on the other hand is just an on/ off switch, but can also be used for all the on/off functions like harmony on/off etc. ( not 100% true because some keyboards have the half pedal function for piano, but not these arrangers)
Most alternative expression pedals will work perfectly well, although there are a few functions that might need adjusted. In truth though, you might also need to adjust these on the FC7 to suit your personal use anyway.
These functions are - range of motion, mechanical resistance, polarity, connector, span. The first two usually adjustable on the pedal, but not critical as it is just a minor comfort thing.
It is best to buy a pedal with the correct plug, because re-wiring requires some expertise.
Polarity is about pedal direction e.g. you normally want full volume to be pedal full down, but its it is the wrong way you can just change the polarity. This can often be done on the pedal but also on the keyboard setting. This will need to be changed anyway for some other functions, because on pitch bend for example you would probably want full pitch to be full up.
Span is normally adjusted on the keyboard, for example the pitch bend range can easily be set. 
Bottom line, most of these alternative cheaper pedals are functionally the same and would work well. Manufacturing quality may vary. But I had a real cheap one for years which worked perfect straight out the box.
Mike   

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
I'd bite the bullet, as they say. Buy the FC7.

Reasons? Build quality, reliability, it's heavy and solid enough to stay where you put it.

I started with a 'clone', it lasted 6 months. I bought an FC7. It's finally failed after 21 years. I can rebuild it with a new internal pot and cable for a few £, but I've had my money's worth - £60 divided by 21 years! I may just buy a new one and keep this for spares in 20 years time.

Others will work, of course, I have an old Technics pedal in the studio - another very well built pedal from a top maker.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
I'd bite the bullet, as they say. Buy the FC7.

Thanks for the response.
So in short, Yamaha FC7 footpedals are among the best in business, and the others (Branded ones that I listed above) may not last. Hope this is right
Thanks for the response.

Awaiting to hear from other experienced musicians too.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
It also depends on how much you are going to use it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
These devices are so simple there is little to go wrong. Especially if just for home use. The FC7 is heavy so it’s less likely to move about on non smooth floors. It’s also quite rugged so may be better for a gigging musician. The most important thing I have found is not the make, but the placement for comfortable operation. Not as easy as it sounds because the full up position can be awkward on the ankle/knee. If you have the wrong kind of keyboard stand, it’s hard to get the pedal far enough away to get a comfortable angle on your ankle. just try putting your lower leg close to vertical then articulate your ankle a few times to upwards 45 degrees and you will see what I mean. Sustain pedals are easy because you articulate the ankle downwards, but to do the upward motion comfortably you need the pedal further away.
mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
FC7 pedal is the best. It is built like a tank and will not move around the floor like the cheap ones do and it will last for years.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »
Definitely! It IS heavy! A good thing when it comes to pedals.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »
Namaste :)

FC7 pedal is the best. It is built like a tank and will not move around the floor like the cheap ones do and it will last for years.
Thank you for the response. As always you have been spot on Eileen

It also depends on how much you are going to use it.
This is actually a very good Question ... The answer is 'I am not sure'
Never used an expression pedal before ..... but seeing the potential, I think I will start using it forever. I was blown away by the capabilities of the roli seaboard (on instruments like Bansuri flute and violin) Now , after playing around with the s975 I am confident that I can recreate almost 75% of the nuances with the Expression pedal .. all with 1/3rd the cost.

Deciding factors .. how much practice I would require to perfect it.

... your ankle a few times to upwards 45 degrees and you will see what I mean.
Good thought .. Just like setting the proper Keyboard height vs your seating position.
Did a small test with my slipper upside down and have found a comfortable position (not sure though)
Planning to use my right leg for it. Giving my left leg a break, as it takes all the beating during a a long drive on my Manual Transmission. :)

Thank you all for your responses .. Shall look out for more

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Namaste all

Finally I took the Plunge

Bought a Korg EXP 2.
Expression pedals are difficult to procure, and most shops do not even understand Expression pedal and would give you Volume Pedal.
Finally after a lot of search, found a shop that was out of stock of FC7 and they are not sure when it would arrive. They only had the EXP 2

So Yamaha PSR with Korg EXP 2 ?
It works .. had to fumble around with the polarity a bit and fortunately the keyboard has the polarity settings.
I have configured it to control volume and I am having no problems other than getting a good practice.

The arrangement looks very promising and shall update in case I face issues.

PS :
Why I didn't buy online ?
1. Most of the suggestions that come up are Chinese companies (MAudio etc)
2. The KORG and Yamaha ones are costlier than the ones available over the counter.
3. No way to return them in case it doesn't work. At least I got a promise from the Shop that I would come back in case this is not compatible.

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 12:48:51 PM »
Volume - expression?? They are the same thing.  There is no big technical thing here, the pedal is always a simple rheostat device, and they pretty much all work. The differences between manufacturers are more about form and feel than whether they work.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
Sometimes they are called “swell pedals”  on organs. Volume, expression, swell - all exactly the same thing. Still a Rose by any name.

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »
Volume - expression?? They are the same thing.

Technically yes, but one cant be substituted for the other.

I will try to explain.
[-A-]
A Compatible expression pedal say for a PSR, would have one port for the connection.
In essence, ONE cable runs from the PSR to the Pedal.

[-B-]
The Volume pedal that the shopkeepers show you will have one Input and One output (in some case two inputs and two outputs)
How does this connect ?
A cable runs from your Keyboard's AUX OUT (L/R Mono or never mind) into your pedal.
A second Cable runs from your Pedal into an External Amplifier
So you are basically controlling your entire output volume from your keyboard to your external speakers.
A pedal like this wont work as an expression pedal.

As an Expression pedal configuration [-A-] explained above,
- I can configure my keyboard to say control volume or any set of assignable parameters.
- I can tweak what part to change, E.g. as to control volume, I can set it to change only my R1 volume, while my style / accompaniment and everything else remain unaffected.

OTOH the [-B-] configuration (Volume pedal that they show me) I control the volume of the entire instrument via its output.

On a side note.
Korg EXP has both the functionality.
One Input and Two outputs.
I run my cable from the PSR into the Out1 and this functions as an expression pedal.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:09:19 AM by Live Musician Newbie »

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »
Of course you have to ensure that whatever pedal you buy has compatible connectivity with your keyboard. But that is not because volume and expression pedals are different. It’s just because there are different connection styles. In fact the pedal you were shown is possibly designed for guitar players. But you could use it with a keyboard, input from the keyboard, output to you amp. But Yamaha and many other keyboards are designed to neatly do this with a single cable.
Volume, expression are the same thing. The name came from the fact that on an organ there is no keyboard feel, so all expression has to come from changing the volume pedal hence the interchangeable name. Most guitar players would call it a volume pedal (which is likely why the store uses that name) while most organ and keyboard players call it an expression pedal. But they do the same thing, ie change the volume.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 09:25:46 PM »
I should have added that while in the keyboard world volume and expression are historically the same, in the guitar world they introduced pedals which control other pedal functions. To distinguish these pedals they seem to have now adopted the name expression pedal to describe this second type of pedal. That may be why it has two outputs.

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 03:07:23 AM »
Apologies for the BOLD lettering  ;D ;D

No idea how this happened .. shall edit it to rectify

Offline humreymar

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 01:40:48 AM »
i had the same doubt that live musician newbie did it about the expression pedals, so i decided to search first in the forum related responses before release my queston, and thank to your comments above i got my answer. so, i have decided to order the yamaha fc7 and is good to know the korg pedal works also very well, thank you everybody.

Kínd regards,

Humberto,

https://youtube.com/channel/UC3NIPBg4Ntxpkx5eKnY8zDQ