Author Topic: Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?  (Read 283 times)

Offline Live Musician Newbie

Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »
Hi Mods, If this question has been asked already, kindly delete this and point me to the right one.

Namaste

I am thinking to use the expression pedal to control volume of my R1 and R2 sounds.
The Manual says Yamaha FC7 .. which is difficult to procure here, or very costly (Approx 95$ if I convert to USD).

I am not very sure If I am ready to take the plunge.
I see other expression pedals on Amazon
- M audio EX P
- Nektar NXP
- Behringer FCV100 (Works both as a volume pedal and an expression pedal)
... at less than 1/3rd the price

Question 1
Are there other options to the FC7 that would do EXACTLY what the expression pedal does without affecting the response time , curve etc etc ? (Not sure about the right term) Would the above said work flawlessly?

Question 2
One thing I solely miss from the SX900 (reading the user manual) is the ability to control portamento timing via Foot controller ... Any chance if Yamaha would bring this feature to the S975 as an OS update ?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:50:11 AM by Live Musician Newbie »

Offline mikf

Re: Compatible expression pedals for PSR S975?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Expression and volume control are just different words for the same thing. An expression pedal is just a variable resistor, and as well as controlling volume can also be used for all the other variable functions which can be pedal controlled, like pitch bend. A sustain type pedal, on the other hand is just an on/ off switch, but can also be used for all the on/off functions like harmony on/off etc. ( not 100% true because some keyboards have the half pedal function for piano, but not these arrangers)
Most alternative expression pedals will work perfectly well, although there are a few functions that might need adjusted. In truth though, you might also need to adjust these on the FC7 to suit your personal use anyway.
These functions are - range of motion, mechanical resistance, polarity, connector, span. The first two usually adjustable on the pedal, but not critical as it is just a minor comfort thing.
It is best to buy a pedal with the correct plug, because re-wiring requires some expertise.
Polarity is about pedal direction e.g. you normally want full volume to be pedal full down, but its it is the wrong way you can just change the polarity. This can often be done on the pedal but also on the keyboard setting. This will need to be changed anyway for some other functions, because on pitch bend for example you would probably want full pitch to be full up.
Span is normally adjusted on the keyboard, for example the pitch bend range can easily be set. 
Bottom line, most of these alternative cheaper pedals are functionally the same and would work well. Manufacturing quality may vary. But I had a real cheap one for years which worked perfect straight out the box.
Mike   

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
I'd bite the bullet, as they say. Buy the FC7.

Reasons? Build quality, reliability, it's heavy and solid enough to stay where you put it.

I started with a 'clone', it lasted 6 months. I bought an FC7. It's finally failed after 21 years. I can rebuild it with a new internal pot and cable for a few £, but I've had my money's worth - £60 divided by 21 years! I may just buy a new one and keep this for spares in 20 years time.

Others will work, of course, I have an old Technics pedal in the studio - another very well built pedal from a top maker.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
I'd bite the bullet, as they say. Buy the FC7.

Thanks for the response.
So in short, Yamaha FC7 footpedals are among the best in business, and the others (Branded ones that I listed above) may not last. Hope this is right
Thanks for the response.

Awaiting to hear from other experienced musicians too.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
It also depends on how much you are going to use it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
These devices are so simple there is little to go wrong. Especially if just for home use. The FC7 is heavy so itís less likely to move about on non smooth floors. Itís also quite rugged so may be better for a gigging musician. The most important thing I have found is not the make, but the placement for comfortable operation. Not as easy as it sounds because the full up position can be awkward on the ankle/knee. If you have the wrong kind of keyboard stand, itís hard to get the pedal far enough away to get a comfortable angle on your ankle. just try putting your lower leg close to vertical then articulate your ankle a few times to upwards 45 degrees and you will see what I mean. Sustain pedals are easy because you articulate the ankle downwards, but to do the upward motion comfortably you need the pedal further away.
mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
FC7 pedal is the best. It is built like a tank and will not move around the floor like the cheap ones do and it will last for years.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »
Definitely! It IS heavy! A good thing when it comes to pedals.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »
Namaste :)

FC7 pedal is the best. It is built like a tank and will not move around the floor like the cheap ones do and it will last for years.
Thank you for the response. As always you have been spot on Eileen

It also depends on how much you are going to use it.
This is actually a very good Question ... The answer is 'I am not sure'
Never used an expression pedal before ..... but seeing the potential, I think I will start using it forever. I was blown away by the capabilities of the roli seaboard (on instruments like Bansuri flute and violin) Now , after playing around with the s975 I am confident that I can recreate almost 75% of the nuances with the Expression pedal .. all with 1/3rd the cost.

Deciding factors .. how much practice I would require to perfect it.

... your ankle a few times to upwards 45 degrees and you will see what I mean.
Good thought .. Just like setting the proper Keyboard height vs your seating position.
Did a small test with my slipper upside down and have found a comfortable position (not sure though)
Planning to use my right leg for it. Giving my left leg a break, as it takes all the beating during a a long drive on my Manual Transmission. :)

Thank you all for your responses .. Shall look out for more