Author Topic: Need help with expansion sound's taking up to much space - help with compression  (Read 1950 times)

I have over over 10 expansion packs i purchased that all have sounds and styles
i need but i am not able to fit them all at the same time

i need suggestions tips and tricks on how to make more room or
be able to fit more expansion sounds and styles on my keyboard

whether it be through converting or compressing
please help me out

thanks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:41:10 PM by shneurslonim »

Offline EileenL

Re: I need more expansion room Help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
If you are using All the voices and Styles in the packs then there is nothing you can do. once the memory is full that's it.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »
It all depends on what format the Pack is. They can be like ppi, ppf, cpi or cpf. In this video, I explain the difference between these formats.
https://youtu.be/abOb0fUIC2Y

In this video you can see the procedure of how to install cpf in the keyboard. The procedure is the same if you have ppf.
https://youtu.be/YhO2ZHlvmX0
Watch my video channel

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
You cannot increase the space available for expansion waves.

The best you can do is within YEM, go through those 10 packs and deselect any voices you do not really need to install. That will reduce the space they take up and give you a little more to play with.

Alternatively if you don't need them all at once, make up more than one install file and switch between them (i.e. replace one with another on the keyboard) when you need to. I'm not saying this is a great solution, but it might work for you.

But if you genuienly want all the voices in those 10 packs available at once, and more, then I'm afraid no matter how much you might want it to be different, you have hit the limit.
Genos

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:38:33 PM »
Is there a way to make voices and drum kit's take up less space

like a way to compress them

I'm especially dealing with custom drum kit's with custom sound's

is there a certain method of sampling that would sample the sound's still in good quality but take up less space?

i would really appreciate as much help as possible with this

thank you

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
Is there a way to make voices and drum kit's take up less space

like a way to compress them

I'm especially dealing with custom drum kit's with custom sound's

is there a certain method of sampling that would sample the sound's still in good quality but take up less space?

i would really appreciate as much help as possible with this...

Hi shneurslonim,

Yamaha (and probably some companies that work directly with Yamaha for Voice programming) can use a special, compressed sample format (patent pending).

All other third-party companies and we "normal users" can only use uncompressed samples (.wav or .aif, 44.1 kHz, 16bit, stereo).

Ways to reduce the Wave memory requirements of Custom Voices are:

- Use of shorter samples, looped if necessary

- Using fewer samples per voice (e.g. not a separate sample for each key, but only one sample for 2, 3, 4 or more notes mapped, and/or deleting complete, not absolutely necessary elements (layers) in Voices.)

- In the case of Drum kits with one shot sounds, there is usually not much that can be optimized (apart from completely deleting the waves of sounds within the Drum kit that are no longer required).

- When it comes to REX based Voices, probably the only way is to use shorter loops (e.g. only one measure long).

Unfortunately I can't give you a more positive answer here, but using as short or as few samples as possible per voice is the only way to save Wave storage space.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:42:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)