Author Topic: S970/S770 expansion pack on sx900  (Read 4564 times)

rocky11

S970/S770 expansion pack on sx900
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »
Hello friends
How to install Yamaha S970/S770 old expansion pack on Yamaha sx900 model??
Please reply
Thanks

Offline overover

Re: S970/S770 expansion pack on sx900
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
... How to install Yamaha S970/S770 old expansion pack on Yamaha sx900 model?? ...

Hi rocky11,

if the original Pack format (the files that you have imported into the YEM before) is .ppf, you can install these Packs also on the SX900. (You have to make a new "SX900" Install Target by importing the SX900 Instrument Info file (.n27) into the YEM, of course.)

If your "old" Packs are in .cpf (= protected) format, there are different possibilities as there are different internal formats of .cpf files.

First you can try to simply select the "old" packs in the "SX900" Install Target. However, this may not be possible and a message such as "This pack cannot be installed on the selected instrument." will occur.

In this case you would have to ask Yamaha or the third party manufacturer from whom you purchased the .cpf Packs whether you can get an SX900 version of your purchased Packs. (You may have to send the instrument info file (.n27) of your SX900 to the Pack manufacturer.)

P.S.
All Yamaha Expansion Packs have recently been available free of charge. However, there are still various problems on the new Yamaha MusicSoft website ( https://shop.usa.yamaha.com ) and there is still no clear assignment of the packs to the individual instruments.

P.P.S.
I recommend to use the current YEM version 2.7.0. But if you are Windows, note that this new version only works on Windows 10 or 8.1, but NOT on Windows 7. If you still are on Windows 7, I recommend to use YEM version 2.6.0 or at least version 2.5.3. (Older YEM versions do NOT support the PSR-SX series.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:57:56 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

rocky11

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
Thanks a lot
Means we can't install pack direct from pen drive ? We have to use yem software to install expansion pack in keyboard ?

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
Thanks a lot
Means we can't install pack direct from pen drive ? We have to use yem software to install expansion pack in keyboard ?

Yes, you always have to use the YEM software and make a new, original Pack Install file (.ppi if only .ppf Packs are involved, or .cpi if at least one .cpf Pack is involved). A .ppi is always created for one specific instrument. So, you cannot use your "old" S970 .ppi file (that may still be on your USB stick) with the SX900.

As mentioned, you have to use the YEM and save a new, original .ppi/.cpi file for the SX900 on the USB stick.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:40:53 PM »
Chris,

I have a question about YEM v2.5.6 and v2.6.0 running on Windows 7 that is permanently off-line. 

I currently have a S970. If I upgrade to an sx900 will I be able to use the S970 expansion packs on the sx900?  I have many combined packs saved as .ppi to install in my S970.  I'm wondering if these existing .ppi files will load into the sx900.  This is a different question than creating a new .ppi file in YEM using the S970 packs for the sx900.

I have several Easy Sounds packs, some of which I can download for the sx900, some I bought before the sx900 came out.  I have only 1 Yamaha pack... Euro Dance that may be a problem.

What do you think?

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:20:27 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
Chris,

I have a question about YEM v2.5.6 and v2.6.0 running on Windows 7 that is permanently off-line. 

I currently have a S970. If I upgrade to an sx900 will I be able to use the S970 expansion packs on the sx900?  I have many combined packs saved as .ppi to install in my S970.  I'm wondering if these existing .ppi files will load into the sx900.  This is a different question than creating a new .ppi file in YEM using the S970 packs for the sx900.

I have several Easy Sounds packs, some of which I can download for the sx900, some I bought before the sx900 came out.  I have onl;y 1 Yamaha pack... Euro Dance that may be a problem.

What do you think?

Joe H

Hi Joe,

I have not tested this behavior so far (trying to install a .ppi file that was originally created for the S970 now on a SX model). But I guess this is NOT possible. Normally (on the "older" models (Tyros5, S970, Genos), only .ppi/.cpi files originally made for your specific model can be installed.

So, when you are still on Win7, you have to use at least YEM V2.5.3 (best will be V2.6.0) to make NEW .ppi files of your Pack compilations for your new SX900 Install Target.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:38:33 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: notebleue

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »
... So, when you are still on Win7, you have to use at least YEM V2.5.3 (best will be V2.6.0) to make NEW .ppi files of your Pack compilations for your new SX900 Install Target.

Best regards,
Chris

Well I specifically mentioned that there is only one Yamaha pack.  I suspect the issue you are referring to only applies to Yamaha packs and with the last YEM release, or has Yamaha also added code to the OS of sx900 and Genos also. I have YEM 2.5.3 installed at the moment, so I don't know if v2.6.0 creating a .ppi file will not allow me to do what I asked. 

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 11:42:49 PM »
Well I specifically mentioned that there is only one Yamaha pack.  I suspect the issue you are referring to only applies to Yamaha packs and with the last YEM release, or has Yamaha also added code to the OS of sx900 and Genos also. I have YEM 2.5.3 installed at the moment, so I don't know if v2.6.0 creating a .ppi file will not allow me to do what I asked. 

Joe H

Hi Joe,

basically it doesn't matter whether you use YEM 2.5.3 or 2.6.0: The support for the SX900 was implemented with 2.5.3, but I recommend you to use 2.6.0 because there were some "minor problems" fixed, and the "Quick Installation" method was implemented.

The main thing is that a .ppi file (= Pack Installation file) is always made for exactly the one model you have currently selected as "Install Target".

Just suppose you have three keyboards: Tyros5, S970 and S770, and you have imported some .ppf Packs into the YEM (in "My Packs"). Now you select the S970 as "Install Target", select the desired Packs, and, if desired, deselect some contents in some Packs. Finally you click "Save as Pack Install File" button to make a .ppi file on the connected USB stick.

THIS .ppi file will ONLY work on an S970, but NOT on a Tyros5, NOT on an S770, and also NOT on an SX model. These are my previous experiences with .ppi files.

In my opinion, after you have added your SX900 to the YEM, you will have to select the desired Pack "compilation" for this new "Install Target" and create a NEW .ppi that can then be used with the SX900.

The whole thing has nothing to do with whether it is Yamaha Packs or third-party Packs or Packs you have created yourself. If only .ppf Packs are used, a .ppi file will be created with the "Save as Pack Install File" button. If at least one .cpf file is involved, a .cpi file will be created with the same button.

But regardless of whether .ppi or .cpi: As far as I know, a Pack Install file can only be used for the one model for which it was originally created (e.g. S970).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:54:43 PM by overover »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »
Hi Chris,

I understand what you are saying. I haven't upgraded to a sx900 yet so I can't test this for myself.  But it seems to me that people have posted they have installed packs from Easy Sounds or other 3rd party packs from one keyboard model to another.  The issue may very well be the specific .n27 ID and not the model (except for Yamaha packs).  I created a pack for a different S970 with the .n27 file from my brother.  I couldn't load it into my own S970.

Can anyone verify the fact (from experience) that s970 packs can be loaded into an sx900.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H

Offline Telmo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:40:02 AM »
Hi Chris,

I understand what you are saying. I haven't upgraded to a sx900 yet so I can't test this for myself.  But it seems to me that people have posted they have installed packs from Easy Sounds or other 3rd party packs from one keyboard model to another.  The issue may very well be the specific .n27 ID and not the model (except for Yamaha packs).  I created a pack for a different S970 with the .n27 file from my brother.  I couldn't load it into my own S970.

Can anyone verify the fact (from experience) that s970 packs can be loaded into an sx900.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H
Hi Joe, I did try that using a  ppi file from my Psr-S975 that I had saved on my pc and I thought I could load it to my SX900 but didn't work. You need to send the instrument info file (.n27) of your SX900.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:17:56 AM »
Thank you Telmo for your response.

You answered my question.  It sounds like I can use the S970 packs in YEM once I have a sx900. I will just have to recreate the .ppi file for the sx900 as the target keyboard with the correct .n27 ID.

Joe H

Offline Patrick

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Hi Joe, you can use all the registration from your S970 in the new SX 900, nothing to change! Also, all the S970 expansion packs are working great, just import the new YEM and the N.27 ID of the SX900 in YEM; all the best Joe cheers Patrick

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 11:46:39 PM »
Thanks Patrick.

Joe H