Author Topic: The lead vocal microphone is muted when you turn vocal harmony on and off?  (Read 4374 times)

does anyone else have this problem and has it happened on previous models that have Vocal harmony?

When you turn the Vocal harmony on and off, the microphone turns off for a moment even the Vocal harmony is reduced.
For ex. When on balance L63>H the microphone turns off when you turn Vocal harmony on and off, same is for normal (0) L-H balance.

Offline EileenL

Never had a problem with my Sure 58S Mic.

it's not up to the cable or the microphone, I use sennheiser e935, but I have a problem when I change the vocal harmony or when I want to turn on or off while singing the lead vocal is off for a moment which was not the case on tyros 5 I had
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:04:42 PM by Johnypvable »

Now I have psr sx900

Offline overover

Hi Johnypvable,

have you already updated your SX900 to the latest Firmware (V1.05)?

>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_psr-sx900.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Re: The lead vocal microphone is muted when you turn vocal harmony on and off?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »
Yes I’m, it’s a problem from the start. while singing when you turn the vocal harmony on or off, lead vocal is interrupted, even though VH is reduced, i.e. Balance Lead 63 - VH. The VH on and off function interrupts the microphone, does anyone else have this problem or is it set at the factory.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
I don't have an SX900, but I can remember that a user had reported this problem in the past (the microphone drops out when the Vocal Harmony is switched on / off).

I was hoping that the current firmware would fix the problem.

If you have not already done so, you could reset the System settings (so that the Factory settings of the V1.05 update really take effect). Please refer to page 132 in the SX900 Reference Manual in this case.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
i did a factory and user effect reset but it didn't change.

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
i did a factory and user effect reset but it didn't change.

I would ask the Yamaha Support in this case. The main Mic signal (Lead) should definitely NOT be interrupted while switching the Vocal Hamony on/off or while selecting a different VH setting.

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »
I hope they read this, thank you all for the advice😊

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »
Have you tried a different microphone? Does the problem occur with a dynamic microphone as well?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

dflstarry

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
Have you tried a different microphone? Does the problem occur with a dynamic microphone as well?
Toril I have the Shure SM58 dynamic mic & the lead does not drop out at all.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 11:05:29 PM »
Hi Johnypvable,

just an idea:

If have the Noise Gate in the Mic Setting active, you could try to switch off the Noise Gate as a test (or reduce the Treshold value). Possibly the Noise Gate is causing the "dropouts" of the Mic signal you mentioned.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
Thanks Chris! I also have the problem that the microphone suddenly falls out. Will try this😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
i tried without noise gate and compressor still the same problem

The following users thanked this post: sardonyx

Offline Patrick

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 11:30:47 PM »
Hi Johnypvable, you must check what is assigned to the two live control (micro volume, ...) then you've to check your registration (micro settings, ....) and perhaps also change your micro settings, your VH settings, if you have always the same problem just make a total reset of your SX900; I wish you a nice sunday, all the best Patrick
 :)

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
Johny, how long does he stay off until he calls again? Can you calculate an average?
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
it lasts about a second, it happens while singing, it sounds like the microphone is interrupting which is not good for earning and it looks unserious😳

Offline Enildo

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
it lasts about a second, it happens while singing, it sounds like the microphone is interrupting which is not good for earning and it looks unserious😳

Friend, this is not a defect, this is the yamaha system. Whenever you turn the VH on and off it will happen.
It is an interruption of less than 1 second that causes a click on the audio of the voice. It is minimal but a little boring.
I always calculate the time of leaving and entering the VH. I've gotten used to it and it's not a headache for me,
but it would be good for yamaha to correct it in future models.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: Johnypvable

Same problem on Genos. I've even noticed this effect on Tyros 5. I like the VH and don't want to use an external vocalist. Switching in vocal breaks cannot be the solution.
Cheers, Joe

Genos | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Korg PA4X | Mainstage

DonM

This is one of my MAIN pet peeves about Yamaha arrangers.  The VH has always worked that way, and it is a shame.  I also have Korg, Roland and Ketron arrangers and they all work seamlessly. 
I have brought it up several times over the years.  Yamaha is not going to do anything about it.  I use an outboard harmonizer because of this. Have used T.C. Helicon units for many years. 
If you are not a big user of the VH you could adjust to it, and learn to time when you turn it on or off so as not to interrupt the flow of your vocal, but that is too big a compromise for the way  I want to use it.