Author Topic: SX900 Registration Memory Best Usage Scenario  (Read 1778 times)

HarmonyCore41

SX900 Registration Memory Best Usage Scenario
« on: August 23, 2020, 12:12:28 AM »
Hey Everyone,
Hope you're all safe and healthy.

I have a question regarding the reg. memory in my new PSR SX900.

What is the best usage scenario of the 8 reg. memory and reg. banks?

For instance, my structure is that I use one reg. bank per one song and I name the bank as the name of the song. These are the 8 voices that I programmed for that specific song. There is another scenario when you use one reg. button per one song, so you end up using the 8 buttons for 8 songs and you name the bank "Live@Royal Albert Hall". The latter scenario helps to economically save space for reg. banks but I think I shouldn't be worried too much about space because reg. bank file size is pretty small. For me, I use the first scenario and backup my bank files regularly. Also, I use the first scenario because I like to have many voices to play in a song.

So, which is better?

1 Reg. Bank / Song = 8 voices for one song and bank name is the name of the song (i.e please forgive me) - Pros: up to 24 right voices and 8 left voices for a song

Vs.

1 Reg.Button / Song = 8 songs for one night performance and bank name is the name of the performace (i.e Live @ royal albert hall) - Cons: only 3 voices for a song

Would like to know your opinion on this?

Offline Telmo

Re: SX900 Registration Memory Best Usage Scenario
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:50:53 AM »
1 Reg.Button / Song = 8 songs for one night performance and bank name is the name of the performace (i.e Live @ royal albert hall) - Cons: only 3 voices for a song
That's the great thing about registration. You can set them the way you like best.
To me, I can have 8 different songs played in one single set of registration and make use of the OTS, this way you can have up to 4 different set of 3 voices for a song as long as you can customize your own OTS and have the OTS Linked on. It works great to me. But again, each musician can make his best use of registration. That's what is there for.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:12:46 AM »
Yes, sky is the limit when we talk about flexibility  :)

I calculated the no. of user voices that are saved in the reg. memory buttons and the factory voices in OTS.

8 reg. buttons x 3 right voices = 24 voices and 8 left voices
4 OTS buttons x 3 right voices = 12 voices and 4 left voices

Therefore, you literally have up to 36 right voices and 12 left voices in one single reg. file.

Not sure if I can permanently overwrite OTS voices as they are per style voices but HECK !! I don't need to overwrite anything. I have EIGHT reg. buttons to play with freely.

Cheers and thanks  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Linson

btweengigs

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 01:19:52 AM »
My choice is to have One Song per Bank and use the registration buttons for voice and variation changes in the style. There is plenty of memory in the SX 900...no need to skimp. Each bank is saved by song name and put in folders that make the songs easy to find. Also, using the one song per bank method make using the Playlist feature much easier.

While this system works very well for me, I know others who prefer to use each bank for up to 8 different songs. There is no right or wrong...just what works best for you.
Eddie

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 01:29:20 AM »
Yes Eddie, that's my method too and I am very satisfied with it. So, let's say worst case scenario storage became full, simple backup the banks. I didn't check the manual about the max. bank files you can have in your storage. But anyways, bank file size is nothing I think.

I just wanted to hear from users the types of methods they prefer and to learn new methods too.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
Like yourself I use I bank per song with suitable sound mixes for the song I am playing. It is a much quicker way then altering OTS settings and then saving the style as a User Style. Also if playing a medley gives you more choice of voicing.
   There is no right or wrong way and we each pick what works best for us. You can store hundreds in User as they take very little space.

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
Thank you everyone, that was helpful :)