Author Topic: PSR-SX700 Echo / Reverb Problem?  (Read 2247 times)

Kauaiguy

PSR-SX700 Echo / Reverb Problem?
« on: August 13, 2020, 05:22:40 AM »
Hi Guys!
Sorry to say I'm having problems with my recently purchased Yamaha PSR SX700.  Purchase 2/26/2020
For the last couple of weeks, when I turn it on, It plays OK for a while and then all of a sudden, every key I play has a reverb sound as if someone had turned it on and cranked it up to full volume.  At that point, all tones becomes muddled and annoying.

Today 8/12/2020 I turned it on and played with it for about 15 minutes.  Then I left it on while I had to go and eat dinner.
After I returned, there it was ... all keys have a reverb behind  them (even if I change instruments).

I can fix it by turning off the Keyboard, wait a few seconds and turning it back on again.

I think that I should contact Yamaha while it's still under warranty.  I hesitate to call my dealer and as you know, I've had problems with him.

What do you all think?  Thanks

Offline Toril S

Re: PSR-SX700 Echo / Reverb Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
Have you tried a soft reset by holding down the rightmost white key while powering on the keyboard?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:32:58 AM »
Up dating to latest firmware or re-loading the latest update again, even if you have done already it might help.

Ironically - I had an issue with a 700 kept flashing up the live control window on screen for no reason whilst playing ...very odd

Although already up-dated, reloading the update again ...'seems' to have solved that.
Just a thought, but.....
Did not use the original update file from before ( as i loaded on the very day of release ) but went back in to Yanaha site and re-downloaded the file - just in case they had in the meantime tweaked the download to remove any glitches since release ....who knows??
I also went to the US site this time. ( I used UK EU before )

Hope you get sorted ...

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/firm_psr-sx700.html

Keith 

Ps... Sure your aware.... but just in case you do another up-date...dont try to use the SX900 version ....SX700 has it's own and is now on the new updated version of 1.04
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:36:30 PM by blackpool »

Kauaiguy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Thank you for your feedbacks and possible solutions.  As always, people here are willing to help and it's very much appreciated.

Hopefully I found the problem in that while browsing around this site, I ran into a thread that talks about the Sustain Pedal.  It suddenly dawned on me that I have a Yamaha Sustain pedal plugged into the keyboard (had completely forgotten about it) which I hadn't used for quite sometime.  Perhaps that's what's causing the problem?

Now that I think about it, it's the sustain effect that was muddling up the sound on all the keystrokes.  So I unplugged the pedal, turned on the keyboard and played on it for a while.  So far so good, but we'll see what happens as I try it out the next few days.
If that's not the problem, I will try the solutions suggested.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:21:52 PM by Kauaiguy »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »
You most likely have your culprit!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:34:54 PM »
Sure you can assign something else useful if not used for sustain and the pedal wont get wasted ...Glad your hopefully sorted
Ironically I never thought about that ...
Thinking back I had the same thing on a 970 - I seem to recall it happened after I did a factory reset and maybe the polarity got reversed or something happened with the settings, so might be worth checking that and trying the pedal again.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:36:44 PM by blackpool »

Kauaiguy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:31:31 AM »
Aloha Ladies and Gents!

I believe that solved the problem as I have not had it since I disconnected the Sustain Pedal.
I guess that's one we can put on our possibilities list next time a similar problem occurs.

That was sooo annoying (LO), It's like when you have plugged ears (as I do now form Allergies), everything echos and vibrates in your ears!  So annoying when trying to talk to someone.  LOL

Mahalo (Thanks) for your input.
KG