Author Topic: Genos 2  (Read 11565 times)

Offline soryt

Genos 2
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:10:14 PM »
When wil there be a succesor for the Genos , after 3 years its time  8)

;D
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Toril S

Re: Genos 2
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »
We already have it😀 No need for new hardware, we have it updated! So now it is Genos 2😀
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:54:11 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
I don't think we will see a new model for some time yet. Probably have some more updates.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:15:39 PM »
I think updating is the right way to go. Why a new shell?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »

There will be a successor. It won’t be in three years. Probably five, maybe even six.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline musicman01

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
Apparently there is someone who is a bit behind!
We already had the Genos 2, or did you forget to upgrade it?

Offline lut112

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Yamaha should include Genos as a master keyboard for DAWs in the next update - assigning and sending all Control Change (1-127) and Program Change controllers

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
There will be a successor. It won’t be in three years. Probably five, maybe even six.

Cheers,
Fred
Mmm.. I wonder, how can the music-division of Yamaha make money then in the coming 1/2 years? Don't think mr. Nakata would accept that ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: ikmusic

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »
Mmm.. I wonder, how can the music-division of Yamaha make money then in the coming 1/2 years? Don't think mr. Nakata would accept that ;-))

They are going to sell more Genos 1's. They will do this by introducing new features in the software, which they’ve been doing since its release. Much more profitable strategy.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: ikmusic

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
Yes Fred I agree.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »
So do I!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »
.. They will do this by introducing new features in the software, which they’ve been doing since its release.

That remain to see. Is there any room for much more (major) softwarebased updates, or is hardware additions nessesary?
Also it may be a question about if Yamaha are going to continue develope 'the arranger way' as we know it. 🤔
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Des O

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 05:53:10 PM »
I could be wrong but the way I see it, the price of the genos has not fallen, its a much sought after keyboard so I would suspect an expansion to it, like an add on box that would allow synth sounds like MODX to be played if not already. A cheaper and more profitable option at this time, as the world goes into a recession not much money about to spend on an complete new entertainment device, especially when the Genos has not been fully utilised to its full advantage and capabilities as yet. Just my opinion :)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
Is there any room for much more (major) softwarebased updates, or is hardware additions nessesary?

Hey, of course it is... By coding, you could do a lot of things, but as Francesco said, the politics of Yamaha block software developers to make this keyboard more friendly to user (software speaking)... They could make a lot of things, in style "world", voice open-projects for user - full functions, including SA, SA2, Revo...
But Yamaha don't want this, because there are a lot of users which are "sit and play" users, which does not need a full function keyboard, because they don't know what to do whit those functions! But they don't realize that are a lot of advanced users which will make some great free-content if those functions will be available to people ;)

No comment :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Luluc

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Hello all,

My Genos is my first arranger keyboard and its a great device.
I have still to discover and learn all the resources of this keyboard. So, as probably other users, I'm not ready to buy a new physical Genos 2.
As already said by others members, the present Genos can be easily updated to offer new software features.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 07:17:39 PM »

;D

The Genos will last atleast 3 more years.. with probably 2 more software updates (2.5 and 3.0)

Every 3 years new instruments is something from the past.
Technollogy advancement is slowly coming to a halt.
So new gear just takes longer..

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »
I would be surprised if, after setting up a new line (Genos / SX), Yamaha would stop developing new hardware (Genos 2/3). If Yamaha is going to look for 'modular' software or hardware, they will have to make a more flexible concept than the current line. Updates alone will not earn Yamaha any money for the time being. In addition, there are a number of hardware requirements of the users / customers, which Yamaha must take into account. Money is needed for this further development. That money can only be generated with the proceeds of a new keyboard etc. etc. That's how Yamaha did it and why shouldn't Yamaha continue to follow that path? The company, like any other company, has to take its profit to continue to exist .. Just my two cents ;-)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 10:16:17 PM »
Food for thought here.

Like all "computers," does not the Genos suffer from the same affliction? That is, it can only tolerate a certain amount of software updates before the software updates exceed the physical limitations of the keyboard? There is one universal constant about computers and that is as the software develops, there is a need for faster computing speed and more memory. Eventually, the required changes will exceed the Genos' ability to tolerate any more updates. Hence, Genos II will be born. It's just a matter of time and probably sooner than we think. I'd wager Genos II has already been built and is in the hands of a few Yamaha beta testers.

There is no money for Yamaha in doling out free upgrades. Most of the upgrades have been designed to solve problems with a few nice added features that should have been there in the first place. Yamaha needs to sell new hardware. That's where the profit is. Yamaha is not in the business of making musical instruments. They are in the business of making money. The instruments are simply the means by which they achieve their goals.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
Do you think Genos 2 will come in a 61 keys version?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »
Do you think Genos 2 will come in a 61 keys version?

No, I don't. I think Yamaha have settled on a configuration where:
Clavinova = 88 keys
Genos = 76 keys
PSR = 61 keys

Only time will tell, but this is my opinion.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »
There is no money for Yamaha in doling out free upgrades. Most of the upgrades have been designed to solve problems with a few nice added features that should have been there in the first place. Yamaha needs to sell new hardware. That's where the profit is. Yamaha is not in the business of making musical instruments. They are in the business of making money. The instruments are simply the means by which they achieve their goals.

There is money in free software upgrades if it sells more product. Especially product which is cheap to produce where the design and setup costs have been paid for. That's why I think Yamaha will milk the Genos for a few more years, getting people to buy by showing that they get free enhancements as time goes on. Which is great for those of us who have a Genos, as we get the enhancements free too.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:18 PM »
Agreed Fred, but they can only offer a set amount of free upgrades before all this free stuff exceeds the physical limitations of the Genos. Only then will we see Genos II. The upgrades are mostly needed fixes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:21:41 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »
Food for thought here.

Like all "computers," does not the Genos suffer from the same affliction? That is, it can only tolerate a certain amount of software updates before the software updates exceed the physical limitations of the keyboard? There is one universal constant about computers and that is as the software develops, there is a need for faster computing speed and more memory. Eventually, the required changes will exceed the Genos' ability to tolerate any more updates.

Yamaha is not in the business of making musical instruments. They are in the business of making money. The instruments are simply the means by which they achieve their goals.

I would love to see more software updates - I might even be willing to pay for them - but I agree, limits will be hit, such as the size of the expansion memory board.

You're right about making money. I remember a manager about 30 years ago saying "If [the company I worked for] could make more money selling Mars bars, then we should stop what we're doing and start selling Mars bars" :)
Genos

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »

I would love to see more software updates - I might even be willing to pay for them - but I agree, limits will be hit, such as the size of the expansion memory board.

You're right about making money. I remember a manager about 30 years ago saying "If [the company I worked for] could make more money selling Mars bars, then we should stop what we're doing and start selling Mars bars" :)
If France some big companies try to define their "raison d'être" to avoid to propagate this poor financial vision of our world. But doing this could also be considered as a marketing action for reputation and then for money...
Nevertheless, I think a company that only has money in mind can't live a long time ... Genos is more the result of music passion and electronic expertise than commercial and financial activities.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 02:06:43 PM »
Yes you are right. Yamaha have a passion for producing musical instruments of all kinds, not just keyboards and they want them to be good. Off course they need to make money to pay for all the expenses running a company like this involve and they must also show a profit. What is wrong with that.
  If you are going to go around thinking that all Yamaha want is your money then don't buy Yamaha products. Such an easy solution.

keynote

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »
I think we need to look to the past as a strategy/pattern for the future. Yamaha, Roland, and Korg i.e. the Big Three have used a fairly structured business model which apparently suits them best. They have updated previous keyboards with not only OS updates but also new hardware versions of existing keyboards. Tyros 1 led to Tyros 2, Tyros 3, etc. Now the Genos is basically a new concept arranger workstation keyboard that was built from the ground up. It is currently the Crème de la Crème of arranger keyboards in my opinion. But so was the Tyros 5 when it was introduced back in 2013 although it was basically a cosmetic update to the Tyros 4 with better sounds and a 76 key version. Four years later the Genos was released. So what's my point?

I think there will be a Genos 2 but like others have suggested probably not in 2020. I do expect a new Montage at Winter NAMM 2021 but that's beside the point. I suspect Yamaha could release the Genos 2 at the beginning or end of 2022... right around the holidays. Usually that's how the pattern usually manifests. First a new TOTL traditional workstation keyboard is released i.e. Montage etc.  Then a year or so later a new top-of-the-line Arranger is announced. This is basically how the Big Three have operated since day one although not always on a three year update timeline.  If the past is any indication of the future then Yamaha and the others will probably continue rolling out new hardware versions of existing keyboard products as well as original concept keyboards built from scratch like the new YC61.  8)

All the best,

Mike

PS: A Latin song created on my Genos for your enjoyment : Latin Pop I live in the U.S. but relatively close to the Mexican border town of Tijuana if that helps.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:11:00 PM by keynote »

Offline chony

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
The Korg Pa4x was released in 2015 and there’s no new model in sight.

I do wish there was a Genos 2 because there are quite a few hardware changes Id like to see, but I can’t see it happening for another few years...

The most important hardware changes id like are:
- more assignable buttons
- hardware buttons for style folders (like Yamaha reverted back to on the sx900).
- rotary knobs that don’t have a beginning and end
- more memory

But I’ve learned to live without the convenience for now.

Bachus

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
The Korg Pa4x was released in 2015 and there’s no new model in sight.

I do wish there was a Genos 2 because there are quite a few hardware changes Id like to see, but I can’t see it happening for another few years...

The most important hardware changes id like are:
- more assignable buttons
- hardware buttons for style folders (like Yamaha reverted back to on the sx900).
- rotary knobs that don’t have a beginning and end
- more memory

But I’ve learned to live without the convenience for now.

Hardware buttons for style folders is a bad idea..
I want less buttons that are multi functional..

Much like on the montage... the 32 buttons to the right..

The other 3 are a good idea..
But enough to warrant the building of a new instrument

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
If you are going to go around thinking that all Yamaha want is your money then don't buy Yamaha products. Such an easy solution.
Agreed, Eileen. On the other hand, make no mistake about it, even Yamaha despite their amazing devotion to promoting music throughout the world through their hardware, still puts profits way ahead of anything else. Every company does it. Yamaha is no different.

Thirty or forty years ago, engineers in most companies presented ideas on how to build products so that the company could achieve a fair market share. Management was guided by the engineer's ideas. It's totally different today. The engineers sit in the background while the marketing and accounting people tell the management what to do. I spent 25 years working in a multimillion-dollar company. I assure you, the marketing guys and bean counters are in charge! As good as Yamaha is at preserving music through their near-perfect instruments, making money is their primary goal. Some companies suck at it. Yamaha excels. Times have changed, even for Yamaha.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:18:06 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Bachus

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
I think we need to look to the past as a strategy/pattern for the future. Yamaha, Roland, and Korg i.e. the Big Three have used a fairly structured business model which apparently suits them best. They have updated previous keyboards with not only OS updates but also new hardware versions of existing keyboards. Tyros 1 led to Tyros 2, Tyros 3, etc. Now the Genos is basically a new concept arranger workstation keyboard that was built from the ground up. It is currently the Crème de la Crème of arranger keyboards in my opinion. But so was the Tyros 5 when it was introduced back in 2013 although it was basically a cosmetic update to the Tyros 4 with better sounds and a 76 key version. Four years later the Genos was released. So what's my point?

I think there will be a Genos 2 but like others have suggested probably not in 2020. I do expect a new Montage at Winter NAMM 2021 but that's beside the point. I suspect Yamaha could release the Genos 2 at the beginning or end of 2022... right around the holidays. Usually that's how the pattern usually manifests. First a new TOTL traditional workstation keyboard is released i.e. Montage etc.  Then a year or so later a new top-of-the-line Arranger is announced. This is basically how the Big Three have operated since day one although not always on a three year update timeline.  If the past is any indication of the future then Yamaha and the others will probably continue rolling out new hardware versions of existing keyboard products as well as original concept keyboards built from scratch like the new YC61.  8)

All the best,

Mike

PS: A Latin song created on my Genos for your enjoyment : Latin Pop I live in the U.S. but relatively close to the Mexican border town of Tijuana if that helps.  ;)

I disagree that Genos was build up from scratch..
Genos is essentially a Tyros 6, with a new user interface on top of it.

All the age old quircks are still there under the hoof
Its needed for backward compatibility
But its also holding Yamaha back in going forward..

There is nothing build up from the ground with the Genos.
Its the same old wine just in a more luxurious bottle..
Luckilly the wine still tastes good..

But there is so many things holding trough innovation at bay, and that will stay as long as there is full legacy support..

Is there an easy way around this for developers
No there isn’t..

My best bet is that they could give people options to choose old or new...

For example , if the develop a totally new styles format, with many many things like dynamic accomapniments and audio tracks other then drums, and maybe even a totally different layout, they have to build 2 engines for style inside,... the old one and the new one... depending on the file type, the Arranger would choose the right engine..  you could even have 3 or 4 of these auto accompaniment engines..

If you want a more modern sequencers, you need to keep the old one and the audio player, while developing somethingbnew that combines midi and audio tracks like a daw... and maybe even supprts clip launching..

And then there is the panel voices, the left hand voice being part of the style is also one of those things, holding the Genos back... you could offer the olld 3right one left as a basic interface... and have an 8 part modern montage like setup as a pro interface...

To overcome the legacy problems, you need to start new from scratch.. and offer legacy support as a sepperate service...  with the current touch screen interfaces this would very well be possible..   

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 06:52:23 PM »

All the age old quircks are still there under the hoof

There is nothing build up from the ground with the Genos.
Its the same old wine just in a more luxurious bottle..

Absolutely!

One of the oldest marketing tricks is to change the name and packaging (and possibly the color and perfume) to make the same old product (i. e. a hand dish wash detergent) look as a brand new one (with miraculous cleaning abilities).

It is always surprising to see how many people still fall in the trap.....  Those probably did not even know and use more than 10% of their old Tyros they rushed to substitute with a Genos.

Offline soryt

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
I hope that there wil be a better quality case and finish for the G2 , it may weight a little more but wil last longer
I dont like the surface now on the Genos , it becomes "shiney"there where you use often the buttons and sliders , and the overall build is realy cheap

8)
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Bachus

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 12:03:15 PM »
I hope that there wil be a better quality case and finish for the G2 , it may weight a little more but wil last longer
I dont like the surface now on the Genos , it becomes "shiney"there where you use often the buttons and sliders , and the overall build is realy cheap

8)

Whats wrong with the case and finish of the current Genos..

High end plasticks, are so much stronger the metal..
They also are flexible, meaning they can bent back into its orriginal form..
Thinking metal is stronger is old school thinking

Metal casing these days is only for the looks..

The Genos is one of the most sturdy build keyboards around.. buttons, sliders, knobs all are of the highest quallity, as is the casing..

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
Soryt is correct, Bachus and so are you. There's no need for metal cases anymore but the Genos does show shiny wear marks on frequently touched spots. I've tried everything to get them out. They're there for good and will lower my trade-in value down the road. The Tyros series never had this problem. Mine was pristine to the day I dealt it on the Genos.

And don't forget the numerous complaints about the numbers, letters, and other symbols that are wearing off button surfaces prematurely. In all ways, the Genos is by far Yamaha's best arranger but worst construction effort. My old PSR 2000 was built better. I suppose it's better to have a superior sound than appearance but we all know Yamaha has achieved both in all previous models. Profit has stood in the way of a superior finish for the Genos. The worst thing they could have done was chosen black - just ask anyone who drives a black car. Those cars show the tiniest blemish. A silver Genos would have looked amazing!

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
Would the next keyboard not be a MIDI 2.0 ?
Roland already has a Midi 2.0 controller : A-88 MKII

If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
My Genos gets well used all over and is showing none of the above signs. I do keep it wiped down after every sessions and make sure my hands are not greasy. I also look at others playing there keyboards on you tube etc. and all those still look good with sign no worn letters or shiny marks.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »
A silver finish would look fantastic!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
Would the next keyboard not be a MIDI 2.0 ?
Roland already has a Midi 2.0 controller : A-88 MKII

I suspect you are right.  MIDI v2.0 is backward compatible, but allows for great expansion... more channels, higher resolution, etc.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2020, 07:52:07 PM »
My Genos gets well used all over and is showing none of the above signs. I do keep it wiped down after every sessions and make sure my hands are not greasy. I also look at others playing there keyboards on you tube etc. and all those still look good with sign no worn letters or shiny marks.
You just made my point, Eileen. All my T5 ever needed was a light dusting from time to time. The Genos needs to be babied after every use because Yamaha cheaped out on the finish. I don't mind cleaning it once in a while as long as the marks come off. I treat my Genos like a baby kitten and yet it retains every little mark.

Offline t4inbax

• Yamaha PSR 500M, 620, 7000, 8000, T4, Genos
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
Hi, I like my Genos much, but... it needs improving in my opinion in the following ways:

- All manuals printed out to come with the keyboard. Genos is a very expensive keyboard, and to have to print out the extra manual on line is el-cheapo in my opinion. And it should be expanded with more examples.

- There should be an extensive on keyboard "Help" button, that explains in greater detail how to use all the features, with examples. (Like Yamaha use to have)  And the "Help section" should be continuously updated to explain new features and or changes. I get very frustrated going to the manuals to find out how to do something, and some of the explanations are either missing, or poorly written, or simply confusing!

- The touch screen is great, but larger to have more choices, and easier to read.

- Someone suggested 'backwards compatibility'. That's a "much needed' for me! I have so many registrations, styles, etc., from my T4 and when I bring them to Genos, they do not work right. I have tried using the Manager, but tedious and difficult to use. (Maybe you all can help me be more successful with it!)

That's all I can think of right now...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:57:57 PM by t4inbax »

Genos!

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
I have two keyboards in silver and two in black.

I do like the black, but you can see every little nuance.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 09:20:45 PM »
I have two keyboards in silver and two in black.
I do like the black, but you can see every little nuance.
I had a friend who ran a car detailing business. After he had detailed black cars, customers were notorious for complaining if they saw one lint fibre on the outside. He quickly adopted the adage, "People who buy black cars, shouldn't!!" Yamaha should heed this advice.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
- Someone suggested 'backwards compatibility'. That's a "much needed' for me! I have so many registrations, styles, etc., from my T4 and when I bring them to Genos, they do not work right. I have tried using the Manager, but tedious and difficult to use. (Maybe you all can help me be more successful with it!)

The Genos is backwards compatible with recent keyboards, including the T4.

When I upgraded from my T4 to Genos, I simply copied over all of my registrations, and every one worked. I had them all running within 15 minutes of turning on the Genos.

It's true that some of them need to be tweaked, as the Genos doesn't always choose the right substitution, but I can work at that at my leisure.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »
Speaking of the colour Black when you order a new car if you want it in black it always costs more.
  I used to have tecnics keyboards and they would go shiny very quickly around the volume knobs and anything you used a lot. I have had my Genos for two years and nothing has started to shine as yet so I am very pleased with mine.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
In a way is good to see people complaining about the black color of Genos .. . . . if they complain about the color it means that the functionality and sound is great . . . otherwise, people would be complaining about stuff not working and the color would be the least of problems.

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
Color is not a major issue with me, although I prefer darker finishes.  I always keep my arranger covered when not in use.  The point someone made about the need for better manuals-----I’d rather have detailed instructional videos instead.  For example, I couldn’t get the hang of creating multiple registration banks, even after reading about it.  I watched one Mike Mixon video and learned it immediately.  Much quicker and more efficient than wading through print pages.

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »
As much as an old Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo CPU with Microsoft Windows 95 is for a coreI7+GeForce GTX xxxx card with Windows 10.

Generally I agree with Bachus, but not here.

We only talk about samples with algorithms. We only talk about real-time RAM access and RAM capacity + algorithms complexity.
For this kind of electronic device, quite all is hard-coded into micro-processors. Genos/Tyros are not a PC with VST instruments ...

So, I think SWP70 and new 32-bits audio converters usage (+ new DSP effects) are a true evolution over Tyros 5 engine. A new commercial series of arrangers began ...

Offline soryt

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »
On the 900 SX there is a brushed alluminium black plate on the surface , why not on the Genos or in the aftermarket ?

Soryt

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
On the 900 SX there is a brushed aluminum black plate on the surface, why not on the Genos or in the aftermarket?
Perhaps Yamaha learned from the error of their ways.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »
... To overcome the legacy problems, you need to start new from scratch.. and offer legacy support as a seperate service...  with the current touch screen interfaces this would very well be possible..

Be careful what youe wish for... you just might get it!

Have you looked at the MIDI v2.0 specifications?

MIDI 1.0 is enhanced where possible and MIDI 2.0 devices offer a lot more capability with 2-way communication via USB and higher resolution, etc while maintaining backward compatibility with MIDI 1.0.

MIDI 2.0 Review
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/midi-2-0-what-actually-matters-for-musicians/

MIDI 2.0 Specs
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

There a few videos to watch with the second link.

Joe H

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:44:56 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html