Author Topic: Editing volume at different points after song is recorded. Is it possible?  (Read 2435 times)

Estapley

Hi all,
I have spent approximately 5 hours researching and reading the manual trying to find the answer to this so I hope it's not been asked too many times before.

I have recorded an orchestral piece on 14 channels but there are some areas where the channel is perfect volume for some bars but then too loud at later bars.

Is it possible to edit the volume of a single channel, to multiple volume settings during the song, after the track has been recorded?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:55:30 AM by Estapley »

Online overover

Hi Estapley,

welcome to the forum!

Multiple volume changes of a channel can be made in the "Step Edit" list:

Go to "Function > Menu 2 > Song Creator > Tab 1 - 16" (Refer also to the S975/775 Reference Manual, starting with page 58.)

First press the "Filter" button and, if needed, press "CC" button, and make sure that the "Control Change" events are NOT filtered out (page 74).

Press "F" button to select the desired MIDI channel. At the beginning of the song (in the Event List of the "1 - 16" tab) you should see a CC #07 (Channel Volume) event.

To change the Volume during the song you can insert additional CC #7 events on the desired time positions. But be aware: If using more than one CC #7 event (= absolute Volume), it is not easy to change the global channel volume later, if needed.

Therefore, I recommend to use CC #11 events (Expression) to set different (relative) volumes during the Song.

Note: If you use CC #11 (Expression) events, you can only LOWER the volume. If you insert an event "CC #11, value 127" you will still have the full volume (set by the CC #7 event at the beginning of the song). Then you can decrease the CC #11 value to lower the volume as desired. (If you need a HIGHER volume during the song, you have to increase the CC #7 event at the beginning.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:49:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online Fred Smith

Hi all,
I have spent approximately 5 hours researching and reading the manual trying to find the answer to this so I hope it's not been asked too many times before.

I have recorded an orchestral piece on 14 channels but there are some areas where the channel is perfect volume for some bars but then too loud at later bars.

Is it possible to edit the volume of a single channel, to multiple volume settings during the song, after the track has been recorded?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes, you can have many volume events in a channel. Alternatively (or in addition), you can edit the "velocity" of each note, which will increase or decrease the loudness of that note.

You can do this on the keyboard, using Step Edit, or you can use one of the many midi editing programs available like Cubase.

I would use a free program that Michael Bedesem developed called MixMaster. It's available here: https://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Estapley

Thank you both so much!
I'm new to this keyboard and thought there must be a way of doing it! I'll check out both of your suggestions.