Author Topic: Yamaha PSR E373 and PSR EW310  (Read 5215 times)

Offline samhodgsonpsr

Yamaha PSR E373 and PSR EW310
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:58:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

In the next few weeks Yamaha will be releasing new PSR E series models, these will contain Super Articulation technology.

Here is a link to my video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1piRN-JuiDU&feature=youtu.be

Here is a link to the product page- https://www.hugohelmermusic.com/p-8824-yamaha-psr-ew310-76-key-portable-keyboard.aspx

Have a good day!

Offline SciNote

Re: Yamaha PSR E373 and PSR EW310
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 04:27:39 AM »
Okay, this is good!  Between this and the new SX600, there are finally some signs of life at Yamaha, other than for their most expensive keyboards.  However, based on the very basic information available, there doesn't seem to be that much different, other than the S.ArtLite voices.  Don't get me wrong -- the addition of S.Art to a keyboard like this -- even a "lite" version of it -- sounds impressive.  But it doesn't seem like much else has been added.

But, we'll see.  If this, and the SX600, are any indication, my guess at the PSR-E473 upgrades will be the addition of S.ArtLite (can't imagine them putting it on the 300 series and not the 400), and perhaps portamento of some kind, because that is already on the PSR-I500 (and the Casios have it).  Now, with the I500, just from reading the manual, it appears that there is no way to store the portamento settings in a registration, and turning it on and off requires going into a menu setting.  I hope that is just an omission in the manual and that it can be stored in a registration, and likewise, if the E473 has portamento, I hope it can be stored in a registration there, as well.  Otherwise, it is almost useless for live playing, because while you might want it for a synth lead, you certainly would not want it for a grand piano, and based on the manual for the I500, it looks very cumbersome to turn on and off in a live playing setting.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:11:43 AM »
If this, and the SX600, are any indication, my guess at the PSR-E473 upgrades will be the addition of S.ArtLite (can't imagine them putting it on the 300 series and not the 400), and perhaps portamento of some kind, because that is already on the PSR-I500 (and the Casios have it).  Now, with the I500, just from reading the manual, it appears that there is no way to store the portamento settings in a registration, and turning it on and off requires going into a menu setting.  I hope that is just an omission in the manual and that it can be stored in a registration, and likewise, if the E473 has portamento, I hope it can be stored in a registration there, as well.  Otherwise, it is almost useless for live playing, because while you might want it for a synth lead, you certainly would not want it for a grand piano, and based on the manual for the I500, it looks very cumbersome to turn on and off in a live playing setting.

I recently noticed in the Owner's Manual for the DGX-660 that it has portamento as well. Despite its ability to play SFF2 (SFF-GE) styles, the DGX-660 and other DGX/YPG models are technically similar to the PSR-E/YPT models, at least as far as being limited to two style variations and being XGlite compatible rather than fully XG compatible. So if the DGX-660 and PSR-I500 are able to have portamento, the PSR-E400 series should be able to have it, too. :)

As to whether or not it will ever get portamento, time will tell...

lastant

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 06:01:27 PM »
Is there an original (without modifications) style collection from an XGLite keyboard? To use it on a PSR-EW310. And in general, what is the best styles collection for an XGLite device?