Author Topic: Short video I made with part of an original song recorded on PSR-E433  (Read 2243 times)

Offline SciNote

I've been posting some pictures and information on other sites about modifications that I've done to my car, and for some of the mods that are best shown in motion, I made a short video.  Now, I realize that this is not a car forum, but the reason that I'm posting this here is because I used an original song for the background music, and this song was recorded using a Yamaha PSR-E433 as the exclusive instrument.  I figure some people with PSR-E400 series keyboards might find this interesting.

The song is called "It's Time".  I recorded most of it using the keyboard's built-in 6-track sequencer.  I then sent that multi-track recording to my computer as audio -- using an analog-to-digital USB converter hooked to the keyboard's headphone jack -- using Audacity software.  I then recorded extra parts that wouldn't fit in the original 6 tracks directly to Audacity.  Finally, I mixed it down to a stereo track and tweaked equalization and compression levels.  But everything you hear was produced on the E433.

Here's the video.  It's about 2 minutes long...

https://youtu.be/CyuIqHbx3I0

Since the subject matter involves car modifications, I always state the following disclaimer: "Some of these features may not be legal to use, especially when the car is in motion.  If you incorporate any of these ideas on your own vehicle, you do so solely at your own risk and responsibility.  Check your local laws for more information."
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline casiokid

Great track. I like the varied texture of the voices/sounds used. Especially the pipe organ coming through at 0.35s -very effective.  Well done!

Offline pjd

Nice video! I love how you tricked out the car, too!

-- pj

Offline Toril S

Super cool!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline SciNote

Thanks everyone!  The way the organ sound in the second verse turned out was actually a pleasant surprise for me, as well.  Without really trying, it reminds me of the organ sound used briefly in the Beatles' song, "Let It Be."

I have a whole collection of these songs that I'd like to release in some way.  I just sort of suspended the project, but I may get back to it.

The car, itself, is an ongoing project inspired by KITT in the original 1982-1986 TV show, "Knight Rider."
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline vbdx66

Hi Bob,

This song is really cool  8)

I recentely bought a Chromebook and I intend to try out the Linux version of Audacity on it to record some songs with my CT-X800 and DGX650. I might add an E4xx keyboard again to my setup one of these days (I am also tempted either by the PSR SX600, or a Casio again).

There is a James Bond flair to your video.

Didi you use some flanger effect? Is it coming from the E433 or from Audacity?

Looking forward to the next song.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline SciNote

Thanks for the input!

Yes, the flanger is coming from the E433.  It has 4 types of chorus settings -- 2 regular chorus, and 2 flangers.

Those keyboards -- the CTX800 and DGX650 -- should give you a pretty good range of sound and performance options, especially with the 88-key piano-action feel of the DGX.  Adding a PSR-E400 series keyboard would give you more live control options with the knobs, which aren't available on the Casio and DGX, but if you're also considering an EX600, that would give you a lot more -- but at more than twice the cost of the E400 series keyboard.

You mentioned the possibility of a new Casio -- do you mean one of the new CT500 or CT1000V models?  While I could not imagine using one of those as a sole keyboard, since you cannot access registration buttons and style-control buttons at the same time, I could see it as a secondary keyboard to use along with other keyboards during a live performance.  Or, it could be used for a multi-track recording set-up, where access to registrations and style-control at the same time wouldn't be so necessary.

The video was just something I put together fairly quickly to show the features I installed in my car, and I did not make too much of an effort to sync the video action to the music.  I didn't want to use someone else's copyrighted music for the background, so I used one of my original copyrighted songs!
Bob