Author Topic: Updating to 2.02 warning  (Read 2094 times)

Updating to 2.02 warning
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »
Hi all. I know this has been covered before but it takes way too long to read through all the posts.

I got the standard warning from Yamaha before updating to 2.02. I'm not sure what it means. After the update, are all my registrations gone? It says they can't be restored, so why do a backup in the first place? I downloaded Stijn's guide for setting up the Genos again. But what happens to all my custom styles, registrations, etc...?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Updating to 2.02 warning
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:52 PM »
But if you know it’s been covered, then you read at least some of the posts. Why not just read the whole post?

To answer your question, all of your files will be preserved. But the keyboard's settingswill be reset to factory standard. So either back them up, or set them again once you’ve updated.

And don’t update just to 2.02. Update to the latest OS.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
But if you know it’s been covered, then you read at least some of the posts. Why not just read the whole post?
What, and miss out on your rapier wit ;D?? Your answer is much faster.

The warning reads, "The Registration data will not be restored." Am I to assume that the actual Registrations will remain but if they point to a custom voice or style, the Registration won't work? Yamaha tends to express their ideas to a very select few of users who have zero issues understanding the data. People like me are not included in that elite group. All I know how to do is play piano, which is why I bought the darn thing in the first place!

By the way, Fred...thanks for the reply. You said to make sure I update to the latest OS. It seems 2.02 is the latest. I assume you meant to not update to 1.4 (for example).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »
Hi Lee,

You are right, 2.02 is the latest. I was thinking of other keyboards.

Your registrations will still be able to find user styles, voices, text files, etc.

By registration "data", Yamaha means things like whether the sequencer is on at startup, and what pedals are used for sequencing.

If it helps, here's what I had to set after I updated (as I couldn't bothered to back up the settings):
-- Registration Sequencer
-- Utility, Speaker/Connectivity, Display Out
-- Utility, Display/Touch Screen, Time Stamp
-- Utility, Parameter Lock
-- Keyboard/Joystick, Initial Touch
-- Time zone
-- Style Setting, Change behavior
-- Text, Background
-- Power Saving
-- Master EQ

Interestingly enough, I wrote these down on my "Lee Batchelor Genos EQ GOLD settings" sheet which I saved from 2019. Thanks for that.

I definitely recommend you upgrade. I've found a lot of useful things in version 2, like alphabetizing playlists.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:28:14 PM »
Hi Lee,

Fred described well what you need to store safely.
However, the entire Backup of other material that should not be deleted by the upgrade should still be kept safe.
When you do Backup in the usual way via Menu2> Utility> Factory Reset / Backup> Backup field, you will get one BUP file. However, it will not help you if something goes wrong during the upgrade. This BUP will not be usable on version 2.0.2.
So I suggest you make a Backup as follows, via USB Storage Mod. Then you will have all the data in the keyboard USER on your HD from your computer. Watch the procedure in this video.

https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY
Watch my video channel

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 11:38:38 PM »
Fred described well what you need to store safely.
However, the entire Backup of other material that should not be deleted by the upgrade should still be kept safe.
When you do Backup in the usual way via Menu2> Utility> Factory Reset / Backup> Backup field, you will get one BUP file. However, it will not help you if something goes wrong during the upgrade. This BUP will not be usable on version 2.0.2.
So I suggest you make a Backup as follows, via USB Storage Mod. Then you will have all the data in the keyboard USER on your HD from your computer. Watch the procedure in this video.

https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY

Good advice, chobu.

As I said, I don't bother with the keyboard's backup procedure, as the file is too cumbersome. But I do copy the User drive to my computer regularly.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:37 PM »
Hi Lee,

here is all you need to know about this subject (updating the Genos from V1.41 or earlier to the current version 2.02):

• "Registration data are initialized the first time you start up again ..." refers to the current Registration Memory Contents (on the Reg buttons 1 - 8) that have not yet been saved as a Reg Bank. This unsaved Reg data is still available after a normal restart, but NOT after an Update. What to do: If the Registration Memory still contains unsaved Registrations, simply save them (as usual) as a Bank file.

• "Registration data will not be restored ..." (in connection with the internal Backup function) means: The current Registration Memory Contents (on the Reg buttons 1 - 8) are always automatically stored in the .BUP file created with the Backup function. But since a .BUP file created on Genos V1.41 and older can NOT completely restored after updating: Simply FORGET this point. ;)

• Your User data (e.g. Reg Banks, Styles, User Voices) that are located on a USB stick will of course not be affected by a firmware update.

• The data in the User Drive are also NOT deleted during the Update. However, as a precaution, I recommend copying the complete User drive of the Genos to a folder on the PC. The best way to avoid missing files is to use the USB Storage Mode:

Connect the Genos USB-to-Host socket to the computer via a USB type AB cable ("printer cable") and hold the playlist button while switching on the Genos. The Genos User Drive will be displayed as an external drive in Windows Explorer after a short time. With "Ctrl + A" you mark all data on in the Genos drive window. Then press "Ctrl + C" to copy it to the Windows clipboard.

On the PC you create a new, empty folder at a location of your choice. Open this new folder and paste the copied data from the clipboard here with "Ctrl + V".

• It makes no sense to use the Genos' internal "Backup" function (with which a .BUP file is saved on a USB stick). With such a .BUP file one could restore the content of the User drive after the update ("in the event of a case"), but it is much better to save it in USB storage mode, as just described.

The User System settings, MIDI settings and User Effect settings can NOT be restored from such a .BUP file after the Update. Therefore, the "Backup" function is useless in this case.

• Your previous User defined System settings can NOT be saved so that they can be restored after the Update. If you have changed certain settings, you could take pictures of these displays or document them in writing so that you can access them after updating if necessary.

• You CAN save your User defined MIDI settings and User Effect settings, if needed: Go to "Menu > Utility > System > Factory Reset/Backup > Page 2/2 > Setup Files". Here save the MIDI settings and / or the User Effect settings to separate files on the USB stick. (Do not save the SYSTEM settings as a file at this moment, because it can't be restored after updating anyway, as menitioned.)

• After you have observed all the points just described, you can safely install the update. :)

P.S.
The most important thing is, as described, to back up the User Drive on the PC as a precaution (even if it is normally kept unchanged during the update). But "safe is safe". :)

After updating, I recommend simply calling up ALL (!) setting displays, one after the other. In this way you will get to know all the (partly new) settings and, if necessary, you can adjust them as required.

Please note, however, that many System settings can be saved in Registrations or, of course, can be CHANGED by Registrations. It therefore does no harm to save your desired settings in one or more "Setup Registrations". (To be on the safe side, it does not hurt in this case to tick the checkboxes of ALL parameter groups when memorizing these Setup Registrations. This guarantees that EVERYTHING that CAN be saved in a Reg IS properly saved.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:40:39 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Wow, thanks for the great responses, everyone!

One last question: I still don't understand the difference between the term registration data and a registration such as one called My Blue Heaven for the song of that name. Is registration data the list of all the paremeters that are saved when you press Save?