Author Topic: PSR-SX600 - new 'Unison & Accent' feature - more than just fill-ins!  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Christopher Fernandes

One MAJOR mystery feature that stands out in the new PSR-SX600 is the 'Unison & Accent" feature. I think there's more than simple fill-ins that can be done now in SX600 - something that is really new to arranger keyboards as far as I am aware.

Very curious to know how this works. According to my understanding, if you simply hit keys harder, the style will generate some drum rolls/crash cymbals (apart from regular fill-ins), to add more expression/realism in performance. Amazing!

And looking at Yamaha's history, I think that SX700, SX900, and Genos, too, may get this feature via a firmware update. Exciting!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:17:18 AM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline EileenL

Re: PSR-SX600 - new 'Unison & Accent' feature - more than just fill-ins!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
Sounds a bit like style dynamic control which we have on our latter keyboards.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »
It is a bit different. It's a style setting alongside Dynamics which can be assigned on/off with various controls.

From what I've read in the manual, when this Unison is active then one (or more) of the style parts plays along the same notes that are being played on the R1/R2 part. When Accent is active, it will add additional percussion.

So it's not just the volume that changes, it's the content.

It looks like software that could easily be added to SX700/900/Genos, have to wait and see!

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:40 AM »
Reading the data list, seems that only a few styles have this new function, it's not applicabile to every style. So, In my opinion, to port this function on bigger models Yamaha should update the onboard styles to "enable" the new feature. Is It possible with a firmware update? We Have to wait. ...

Hi Francesco,

yes, it is possible for Yamaha to change the Preset Styles by a Firmware Update if needed, because every Firmware Update file (.PRG) always contains all Preset contents (e.g. Styles, Multi Pads, Voices).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
Reading the data list, seems that only a few styles have this new function, it's not applicabile to every style.

Yes I wondered about that. The functions are activated using new settings on the 'style settings' screen (alongside dynamics). Perhaps they are only available for styles marked "Unison". But there's no mention of an updated style format in the manual. Interesting.
Genos

rocky11

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
why yamaha don't give new extra features to sx900 and sx700 user ??

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
why yamaha don't give new extra features to sx900 and sx700 user ??

They will. You just need patience.

It took over a year for Genos owners to get new features. Yours will come in due time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »
I imagine that Yamaha will do the same as it did with the Genos, it will send a software update to these functionalities for the SX900 and SX700 ...
* PSR SX900
* Novation Impulse 61
* IPad Air 2
* Macbook Pro 2012 // 16 Gb RAM // 500 Gb SSD
* Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
* JBL LSR 305 Monitors
* Alesis Multimix 6
* Mic Senheiser e835
* Mic AKG Perception Live P5s
* Yamaha Stagepas 400 BT

blackpool

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 11:35:36 PM »
Yes the flagship Genos did not get chord looper until well after the SX900 ....to be fair to Yamaha here...
A new feature has to be trialled on a new model I imagine ...and it will get added to other models .... Genos owners deserve it before we do as SX owners

Keith

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »

It took over a year for Genos owners to get new features. Yours will come in due time.

SX700/900 was released in August 2019 and Genos got those new features on November 2019 i.e. after 3 months. So maybe we can hope for an update by end of this year? 🤔
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700