Author Topic: Volume level stuck.  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Jakkims

Volume level stuck.
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:18:54 AM »
Over the past three days I have been having a problem which I really hope someone can help me with, please.
This is what is happening -
After I have been playing for a short time, if I click on a new Style to set up a new registration the style comes on at a very loud volume and does not respond to the volume/expression pedal. When I add right hand (and left hand) voices their volume changes from quiet to loud with the use of the pedal but the Style stays at the same loud volume even when the pedal is at its lowest.
Yesterday I did a Factory reset which solved the problem but today the problem was back again right from when I switched it on and required a further Factory reset.
I have all the latest updates. Perhaps I should try a reinstall?
The Genos is not quite one year old.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Jakki.

Offline Toril S

Re: Volume level stuck.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
Do you use the Yamaha volume pedal?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline vanzee

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:38 AM »
did you set "Style" > "ON" in "Assignable" > "Foot pedals" > "Volume" ?
You can also set "ON"/"OFF" different items (left, R1,R2,.....)
Can be saved in REG.
So if you load REG without "Style" "ON" it will not work with pedal.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »
You say you are selecting a new registration. Check that this has not been saves with style turned of on volume pedal.

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:16:21 AM »

Thank you Toril, Vanzee and Eileen for your replies.

Toril, yes it is the correct Yamaha volume pedal for the Genos and was purchased with the Genos and was set up with the Genos by the dealer.

Vanzee and Eileen, I have not used any Assignables or changed any settings from when I first bought it nearly a year ago. I just play it 'straight from the box' apart from updating the firmware when updates become available. It is currently on V2.02. The problem is also occurring when playing registrations that I have previously saved months before. In other words, I can play a song one day with no volume problems and then the next day I go to play the same song again without making any changes but the Style volume will have stopped responding to the volume pedal even though it responded on every previous occasion.

Offline vanzee

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:01:20 AM »
@Jakkims
when you take an registration that seems not to work propely ,
did you check if "Style" is set to "ON" in "assignables" > "foot pedals" > "Volume" ?

If it's not set to "ON" it will not work.

This subject must be saved in a registration.
It could be that you have registrations with and without "Style" "ON" in assignables.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:36:32 AM »
Following from vanzee's suggestion the next time the problem appears push Direct Access then waggle the volume pedal. This takes you to the screen which shows the volume pedal assignments. You may well find that Style has become unticked, probably because some registrations have (unintentionally?) not been saved with the tick in place.
So tick it, set the style volume as required if necessary (so there are no surprises) and resave the registration ensuring at least style and foot  pedal are ticked in the memory saving box (plus ticks in the box for any other properties needed in your registration) .
John

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 05:41:28 AM »
Thank you, Vanzee and John.
I checked the pedal volume control in Assignables as you suggested and found some ticks were missing. I have now replaced them. On Saturday afternoon I had been playing the Genos normally with no problems, then decided to listen to some of the Styles that I had never used to see what they sounded like. It was at this point that I tried out one of the Rock styles and nearly got blasted out of the house. After that every style that I tried out had the same volume problem. It seems to be something that happened spontaneously.
I have checked the Assignables screen on several of the Styles today and they all have the necessary tick, including those that were the initial problem.
Hopefully the problem is now solved and I am very grateful for the help that I have received here.
Regards,
Jakki.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 06:43:17 AM »
Thank you, Vanzee and John.
I checked the pedal volume control in Assignables as you suggested and found some ticks were missing. I have now replaced them. On Saturday afternoon I had been playing the Genos normally with no problems, then decided to listen to some of the Styles that I had never used to see what they sounded like. It was at this point that I tried out one of the Rock styles and nearly got blasted out of the house. After that every style that I tried out had the same volume problem. It seems to be something that happened spontaneously.
I have checked the Assignables screen on several of the Styles today and they all have the necessary tick, including those that were the initial problem.
Hopefully the problem is now solved and I am very grateful for the help that I have received here.

It’s not spontaneous, Jakki.

You have a registration which is setting your assignments. You need to fix that registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
It is not a matter of what ticks you have in the boxes now, it is a matter of what ticks were present when the registration was originally saved. If you find registrations that are not working as you want them you must redo them with the correct ticks and then resave them.

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:34:41 AM »
Thank you, Fred and Eileen.
If the problem occurs again I will know what to check in the registration and save the necessary changes.
Regards,
Jakki.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 02:05:32 AM »
Jakkims, how many registrations do you have on your Genos at the moment?

Everyone else, if there are a lot of registrations, would Murray Best's program display the offending registrations? If so, it would be a lot faster using his program instead of going through each one on the Genos.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:07:32 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

tyrosman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »
what you could also do is check the style settings as the Dynamic setting could be doing something ???

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
No the problem is with the volume pedal settings. Using other peoples registrations or downloading them will cause a problem if you have not put the Parameter lock on for your registrations that you know work correctly to your settings. If lock is off then it will load in settings that were made by someone else whos has different preferences..

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 06:00:40 AM »
As Eileen said, it was a problem with the pedal settings which suddenly changed. I was going through the Genos styles just listening to each one to see if I liked it and initially they all responded to the volume pedal if I used it. I presumed this was a default setting. Then suddenly one came on at full volume and would not respond to the volume pedal. After that none that I tried responded to the pedal. Some, but not all, of my saved registrations had the same problem. I definitely did nothing to cause this as I am new to single keyboards and not confident enough to tamper with any of the settings. I have since ticked the Style box in any of the registrations or styles that had lost it and all seems to be well. Thank you to all who have helped.
I have previously only played organs, and of course the expression/volume pedal controls everything. It had not occurred to me that I could keep the style at a set volume but change the volume of the voices with the pedal according to how I want to express the music. This is something new and interesting for me to explore.
Jakki.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 12:26:26 PM »
Yes Jakkims,
You can also bring single voices in and out which can be very effective.

blackpool

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
I often use imported registrations, which can cause issues - as others have pointed out. It really was a pain i found sometimes....we all like stuff set differently.

My advice ( which I learned from here a while back )  is to get into the habit of activating 'freeze'  when you power up, with just the Live Controls, foot pedals and assignable buttons ticked.

This keeps your own registered settings of course for these in any registration you might load and allows things like style, tempo etc to change.

The frozen settings will automatically be replicated and re-saved later into your new edit ( quite clever really - but logical ) - I just leave it lit .

Some people just think freeze applies to maybe style and tempo, i never use it for these - but it is handy applied this way for me.

Keith 

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 05:26:35 AM »
Thank you, Eileen and Keith. More things for me to try out. The Genos is a huge learning curve after playing an EL70 organ for over 25 years!
Jakki.

blackpool

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Yes I am an X organist also, so i used pedal volume when I moved over to keyboards....It was just second nature
It is worth spending some time working on touch sensitivity instead, I find it much better now I have persevered and it has paid off BIG TIME. Pianist don't suffer this moving to an arranger, as they are used to key sensitivity. plus it frees up a pedal function if your not using it for volume.

Keith 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:24:26 AM by blackpool »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 05:23:53 PM »
The same with me. I only ever use a swell pedal when playing organs and of course making sure touch is turned off for this.
  Like to use touch sensitivity on all other sounds.

Offline Jakkims

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 05:30:24 AM »
Thank you. All help and advice is appreciated.
Jakki.