Author Topic: Genos 2  (Read 11739 times)

Offline Toril S

Re: Genos 2
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
We go for titanium😀😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bachus

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 06:14:44 AM »
Would the next keyboard not be a MIDI 2.0 ?
Roland already has a Midi 2.0 controller : A-88 MKII

We have to see, so far midi 2.0 seems to be a Roland only show..

Bachus

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 06:15:54 AM »
My Genos gets well used all over and is showing none of the above signs. I do keep it wiped down after every sessions and make sure my hands are not greasy. I also look at others playing there keyboards on you tube etc. and all those still look good with sign no worn letters or shiny marks.

I agree with you.. no marks or wear on my Genos
And i am much less cautious then you are.

Offline musicman01

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »
Genos is the best entertainer keyboard ever made, but I have to assist "Soryt" on certain points.
The top layer and the switches are very fragile, and it would be interesting to make them in brushed aluminum.
And something that has always bothered me are the "knik-Knak" switches since the Tyros line,
these can certainly be a bit more solid and softer, such as with Wersi, Nord Electro & Stage.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »
We have to see, so far midi 2.0 seems to be a Roland only show..

There are videos that show Yamaha keyboards talking to each other.  And there is a possibility that Yamaha can upgrade some of their gear to the MIDI 2.0 features... but I think we can expect the next generation of Yamaha synthesizers and arrangers will be MIDI 2.0 compliant. So a lot of what people have been asking for will be possible with 2.0.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:28:17 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2020, 05:55:09 PM »
There are videos that show Yamaha keyboards talking to each other.  And there is a possibility that Yamaha can upgrade some of their gear to the MIDI 2.0 features... but I think we can expect the next generation of Yamaha synthesizers and arrangers will be MIDI 2.0 compliant. So a lot of what pi have been asking for will be possible with 2.0.

Joe H

Nearly 40 years after the original MIDI 1.0 spec, Yamaha is still far from implementing 14 bit of resolution for the pitch bend (as allowed since 1983). Top of the line Montage synth does not even implement basic midi commands found in toys (even those made by Yamaha themselves!). And the USB link tops out at 30 kbytes/s (ridiculously low speed, and many users complain that when with a DAW they send many bank/program change one after another, the Montage will simply ignore them).

So, they might also implement MIDI 2.0 (by repackaging the bits into the new format), but probably with features not even aligned with MIDI 1.0. In fact, as the low resolution pitch bend wheel example teaches us, high res (> 127 values) transducers cost money, more money than Yamaha is willing to spend even in their top of the line instruments (the Genos does not even have encoders, but only cheaper potentiometers).

And by the way, already MIDI 1.0 allows 14 bit resolution CCs (by using 2 of them in tandem). Of course Yamaha never used this feature since their transducers are low resolution, and sometimes do not even have 127 discreet steps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:56:29 PM by groovyband.live »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »
Nearly 40 years after the original MIDI 1.0 spec, Yamaha is still far from implementing 14 bit of resolution for the pitch bend...

... And by the way, already MIDI 1.0 allows 14 bit resolution CCs (by using 2 of them in tandem). Of course Yamaha never used this feature since their transducers are low resolution, and sometimes do not even have 127 discreet steps.

I never have heard the so called "zipper noise" associated with Yamaha's 14-bit Pitch Bend in the 30 + years I've played Yamaha keyboards.  I guess Yamaha thinks 256 steps is enough.  As far as the NRPNs go; (which Yamaha uses a lot of) there is very little practical use for 14-bit resolution (16,384 steps) for applications that Yamaha use them for.  The only (possible) true 14-bit resolution is with the Bank Select message.

So what is your point... besides wining and complaining about Yamaha?

::)

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:50:06 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »
Yes Joe that seems to be all GB can do and that is to run Yamaha down. Gets very annoying after a while.

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »

So what your point... besides wining and complaining about Yamaha?

YOU said that Yamaha might upgrade their old gear to Midi 2.0.
I showed you that they, in nearly 40 years, did not even use Midi 1.0 to its full extent.

This is not complaining, this is a fact. On the other hand yours is wishful thinking.

Nothing wrong with it. But, using your words, what is the point?

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
I never have heard the so called "zipper noise" associated with Yamaha's 14-bit Pitch Bend in the 30 + years I've played Yamaha keyboards.

Check the official Yamaha Montage forum. Even Yamaha recognized publicly the problem.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2020, 10:48:52 PM »
Well GB,

The "fact" is some of us find you very annoying.  Your rudeness and arrogance will get you no where on this forum.

;)

Joe H

Offline Toril S

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
I am very satisfied with all my Yamaha arranger keyboards. The Genos is the best so far. Later other models will come, with  some new features. In this thread we had some fun asking when Genos 2 will come, and so on. Good natured speculation, we don't like people speaking bad about Yamaha.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:01:01 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:00 PM »
...we don't like people speaking bad about Yamaha.

I think he is mostly interested in selling his software arranger program. For most of us... we ask; why would we want to play styles on a computer program when we have a hardware keyboard we can actually play.

:)

Joe H

Genos!

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »
I think he is mostly interested in selling his software arranger program.

You know what Joe? I used to think the same thing, but there's nothing groovy... {for you [the reader] to finish}.

I mean, if he IS trying to sell his software he would have started his own (sales?) thread instead of busting in on everyone elses. I really think he's just lonely and wants to have conversation, no matter how rude it may appear. Let's just face it, some people just enjoy being confrontational.

I mean something's wrong somewhere; please follow my examples.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47532.msg384021.html#msg384021

It crashes instantly... YOU didn't do it right -- don't be lazy!

And then there's the part about constantly dissing Yamaha, which we don't need any examples for.

Funny thing is that his software uses Yamaha hardware and firmware; not exclusively, but he's on this forum.

I mean, wow, let's just complain on a Yamaha forum about Yamaha and make everyone upset and then they'll all be ready to purchase!

I honestly do have to question why GB is here; but I really don't want to know, so I don't ask.

Honestly, I believe the days of GB may possibly be over. Such a small market, company, and no money or time for videos.

Also, bad viral timing, and now kind of a final blow; Yamaha is giving away packs for free... and GB is still charging for them.

In a way, I kind of feel for the guy. Such good ideas, probably a good software person or manager to some extent; just bad timing and not a people person like most computer people in general.

It's really too bad, because there is big money to be made if marketing was done right based on the current situation(s).

Personally, I'm not interested in money, but if I was I would jump at the opportunity. I think it's pretty much end-game for a lot of people.

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
Well GB,

The "fact" is some of us find you very annoying.  Your rudeness and arrogance will get you no where on this forum.

;)

Joe H

Sorry you (and the other well known Yamaha fan-"girl") are only capable of personal attacks. Usually if one feels to be right he can motivate his point of view, showing that the specific facts reported by the other side are wrong. Of course one has to be right and know what he is talking about .....

If you immediately slip on personal attacks is because you do not have better options. This is sad. And I do not believe all those reading this thread, given your poor dialectical ability, will say: "Hey! This Joe and the other "girl" are very smart guys!!".

But you may think otherwise of course. Anyway my education and good manners will not let me follow you on this terrain.

Goodbye, gentlemen.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »
If you are referring to me I am no girl. I am 84 years of age and quite frankly do not like the way you put things or your attitude towards fellow musicians. It is possible to put information across without keep having a dig at a certain manufacturer. This is A Yamaha forum and we are all enthusiasts so what do you expect from us.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Toril S

Bachus

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »

So what is your point... besides wining and complaining about Yamaha?

::)

Joe H

Seems everyone has his tresholds..
This is the fiirst time i saw someone step over you treshold.

I guess he had it comming, with only himself to blame..

There is such things as criticisme..
But it needs to be in ballance..
People that don’t want to see the good things in Yamaha,
Have no place on the forums..

Sure there is a lot they can do better.(my personal opinion)
But there is a multitude of things they do good or best..

The following users thanked this post: hans1966