Author Topic: midi file question  (Read 2078 times)

Offline chuckeys123

midi file question
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
Hi  guys. I play the song dust in the wind  as a solo guitar (played on keys). I recorded the violin sol, and when it comes around I start it and play along with it. When the midi ends it changes the voices on my keyboard. What stupid thing am I doing, and how can I fix this? As usual, thanks in advance.

Janus

Re: midi file question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
There is a program change in the track on that point
You can remove it with a track editor or sequencer software like Cubase

Gr.Jan

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
I think it could be done on Step Edit within the keyboard?

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Hi  guys. I play the song dust in the wind  as a solo guitar (played on keys). I recorded the violin sol, and when it comes around I start it and play along with it. When the midi ends it changes the voices on my keyboard. What stupid thing am I doing, and how can I fix this? As usual, thanks in advance.

Hi chuckeys123,

I guess you have saved so called "Keyboard Voice Meta Events" in your MIDI file. These events change automatically your Keyboard Voices.

First please check your Setup settings in the "Song Creator":

Go to "Function > Menu 2 > Song Creator > Tab Setup". Usually there should be ticked only the first seven items (VOICE to EQ).

The remaining items (KEYBOARD VOICE to GUIDE SETTINGS) should normally NOT be ticked, but only when they are really needed (and if you know exactly what you are doing ;)).

Above all, please make sure that the item "KEYBOARD VOICE" is NOT ticked, otherwise a so-called "Keyboard Voice Meta Event" will be saved in the file when a MIDI file is saved. Note: In contrast to the other Setup parameters, such "Keyboard Voice Events" can be stored anywhere in the MIDI file, not just at the beginning of the file!

The (in my opinion) easiest method to REMOVE such (unwanted) "Keyboard Voice Events" from a MIDI file is using the PC program "PSRUTI". The developer, Heiko Plate, has just put a new version (V8.21) online:

>>> http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=83

This is how you do it:

• Load your MIDI file in PSRUTI.
• Click "Extras > Delete Keyboard Events". Leave the standard setting (= all items are ticked exept the last) or remove the other, not needed ticks, but leave ticked "Delete Meta Events Keyboard Voice".
• Click "OK" and confirm the upcoming message window also with "OK".
• Click "Exit" (to close the "Extras" window).
• Click "Save" to overwrite your source file (or click "Save as" to prevent the source file and save the edited file with a new filename).

P.S.
You could also delete such Keyboard Voice Events in the Song Creator on the keyboard. But it is not as easy to get the "right" events here. (The format is "FF 7F len 43 73 0D 01 [Data]", and the "Data" string is relatively long.) I think they can be found in the "SYS/EX." tab, but I'm not fully sure at the moment. ((If they are not there, check the "1 - 16" tab. ;))

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:35:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 02:45:58 AM »
Thank you so much.