Author Topic: Looking for a way to upgrade non-Revo! drums styles to Revo! drums [Answered ✅]  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Christopher Fernandes

Most of you must be aware that Revo! drums have a slightly different key-mapping in the styles. If we simply change the drum voice from the drum pattern on an old drum kit say "RealDrumKit" to the newer Revo! sampled "RockDrumKit" in the SX900 the drums part of the style doesn't sound good due to different key-mapping for the drum part in older Yamaha styles.

I have these Yamaha expansion packs but they're not yet updated to support the new watered-down version of Revo! mapped drums in the SX-900. There are a couple of packs that Yamaha has updated to support Revo! drums for eg. "Greetings From Italy Version 2 - Genos" which is updated with new Revo! drums. But I was looking for a way where I myself can convert/upgrade/re-map drums part of a style to a newer Revo! drums found in the SX-900.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:12:49 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline overover

Re: Looking for a way to upgrade non-Revo! drums styles to Revo! drums
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Hi Christopher,

I have not tried the following, but I think it could work like this:

1. Use Jørgen Sørensen's program "Style Split and Splice" to split a Style file into a "Non-MIDI" file (.nmi) and a Standard MIDI file (.mid).
Note: You must have installed "Java Runtime Environment" (JRE) on the PC. You will find details on this website:
>>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm

2. Use Yamaha "MEGAEnhancer V2.0.0" to convert the Drum tracks (Channel 9 and/or 10) of the MIDI file (mentioned before) into Revo! Drum tracks. (Use "Genos" as Instrument setting.) You can test the Revo! Drum conversion feature of the "MEGAEnhancer" program with "normal" MIDI files before.
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/megaenhancer_for_win.html

3. Use the "Splice" feature of "Style Split and Splice" to splice the edited MIDI file (which has Revo! Drums now) together with the original Non-MIDI file to get a working Style file again. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:51:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Jørgen, vanzee, Christopher Fernandes

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:04 PM »
WOW Overover
if it works, you have the right to have a monument.
Pietro
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:42:26 PM by Aquilauno »

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
Hi, Chris (overover),

I tried your method and it works very well!
I used this to remaster + use newer Revo sounding drums on my SX900 to a few of the older Yamaha styles (that I really liked) which Yamaha omitted on the new-gen models.

Big thanks!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:20:31 PM by Christopher Fernandes »

Genos!

I always thought that just using MEGAEnhancer V2.0.0 was enough.

I never considered using Jørgen Sørensen's program.

Is the use of Split and Splice necessary?

I assume MegaEnhancer requires MIDI files for the program to work? Split and Splice converts the style files into MIDI files so the MegaEnhancer could do its thing.

Offline overover

Hi Genos!,

a Standard MIDI File ("SMF") can of course be opened, edited and saved again directly in the "MEGA Enhancer", but NOT a Yamaha Style file.

Yamaha Style Files are basically MIDI files, but they contain other data sections in addition to the MIDI data section. The most important of these are the "CASM" section and the "OTS" section. Some Style files may also contain a "MDB" (Music Finder) section, and in a very small number of Style files, an "MH" section can be found.

If you load a Style file into a "normal" MIDI editing program (which is NOT specially designed for STYLE editing), the additional data sections mentioned will be ignored and will NOT be saved later when the edited (MIDI) file is saved again.

This behavior also applies to the Yamaha "MEGA Enhancer". You CAN load a Style file directly (either by changing the file type from "* .mid" to "All files", or by changing the Style file extension to .mid), but after saving with "MEGA Enhancer" the Style file will no longer work.

For this reason, you MUST use the "Style Split and Splice" program to split the Style file into the MIDI part (.mid) and the "Non MIDI" part (.nmi). The MIDI part (.mid) can then be edited in the desired MIDI editing program (e.g. the "MEGA Enhancer"). The edited MIDI file will later be put back ("spliced") together with the original "Non MIDI" part in "Style Split and Splice", and you have a working Style file again. :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:27:25 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Hi Chris
does that also mean you can convert a Revo Drum style  to  a non Revo Drum using Mega Enhancer? 

I gather the program does the remapping automatically from one keyboard  to another instead of having to manually remap in a sequencer? In which case wow.

I’ve used Split nSplice along with XGWorks to do the odd bit of editing to a style, and do an occasional pad, but haven’t really gotten round to checking out some of Jorgen’s other software.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Hi Chris
does that also mean you can convert a Revo Drum style  to  a non Revo Drum using Mega Enhancer? 

Not sure about that. You can give it a try ;)

Offline overover

Hi Chris

I gather the program does the remapping automatically from one keyboard  to another instead of having to manually remap in a sequencer? In which case wow.

I’ve used Split nSplice along with XGWorks to do the odd bit of editing to a style, and do an occasional pad, but haven’t really gotten round to checking out some of Jorgen’s other software.

Hi Rikki,

the main purpose of the MEGA Enhancer is to better adapt MIDI files (SMF) to a specific Yamaha instrument (e.g. Genos) by converting certain tracks (channels) that use Normal Voices into MEGA Voices. In addition, Standard Drum tracks can be converted into REVO drums.

The opposite way, i.e. to remove MEGA Voice or REVO Drum tracks and replace them with Normal Voices or Standard Drums, is NOT provided with the MEGA Enhancer as far as I know.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:34:39 PM by overover »

Thank you Chris,
For the information.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022