Author Topic: Just curious: Does Genos meet all your rhythm pattern needs?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Moontom

Anyone use a drum machine or second keyboard to supplement Genos specifically for rhythm/groove  purposes? I like the styles for the most part, not thinking here of another arranger, just other gear (or software, tho I'm not setup for that...)

been using a Krome for this but I just played a friends Yamaha MX 61 and was surprised at how useful the arpeggio patterns were -- the ones designed for kits are basically nice understated drum patterns.

the Krome has some good go-to patterns but they're busier and with fills after 8 bars, so less good for home project studio.

Offline markstyles

Re: Just curious: Does Genos meet all your rhythm pattern needs?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm always looking for more:  but I'm coming from a compositional point, where I do use other kbds, sample libraries, virtual instruments, etc.  GENOS for what it's primary purpose is, a live one man band.. certainly fills the bill. 

I would suspect, although I've never done/checked it.  you could load in drums into the sequencer, or make multi-pads, if you wanted to include special beats.

If you want to use, drum programs, sample loops in a DAW, you can easily do that, and have GENOS sync tempo, and supply the musical parts.  I've been doing that for years.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:52:00 PM »
Same here. For live playing, the Genos styles are fine, although the kick and tom drums always seem way too loud so I have to route them through one of the Sub mix outputs so I can control them. Overall, I'm happy with the Genos drums and rhythms.

For the "non-mechanical" sounding styles I need for my recording, no arranger keyboard can come close. Instead, I use a DAW with VST drums. They are far superior but they should be. Each kit with patterns can be GB in size and cost a lot of money ;)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Moontom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 08:24:01 PM »
thanks....helpful replies!

I like Genos for quick ideas but can't stand the hassle of trying to put together a simple four-bar loop with drums/bass/chordal instrument. thinking of going away from arrangers altogether....

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 09:52:05 PM »
Hello,

I use only Genos. When the styles are not enough, I just change them or create new ones. Or create multipads to bring new variatons.

In some cases, my style parts have 16 bars... In "I Like Chopin" style, I create an Introduction about 26 bars... The part C of Moana has 16 bars... The part C of Wicked Game has also 16 bars...

Take a look: www.youtube.com/pedromseleuterio

It's all depends what you need and I'm sure Genos can achieve it - if you domain all features...

Regards from Brazil
Pedro Eleuterio
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:29:33 PM by pedro_pedroc »

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »
Definately not..
I use the ipad to create new beats..
So many genious apps..