Author Topic: Switching between Modes of Play  (Read 1435 times)

btweengigs

Switching between Modes of Play
« on: July 24, 2020, 04:45:42 PM »
I keep all my registrations, third party styles, midi files and MP3s in separate folders on a thumb drive.  When I am in the registration folder I can always access any song by name. But when switching to my MP3 folder, I get a blank screen. None of the MP3s I have loaded into that folder can be found.  When I put the thumb drive in my computer, everything is right where it is supposed to be.

Any suggestions?

Offline overover

Re: Switching between Modes of Play
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
Hi Eddie,

this is how all Yamaha arranger keyboards work. All file selecting displays are FILTERED. In Registration mode only Reg files are displayed, in Style mode only Style files, in Voice mode only Voices, in Song mode only MIDI files, and so on.

To see MP3 and WAV files, you have to use the Audio Player mode.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:17:48 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
Yes .... this has always bugged me... If your in  Styles ...A reg folder might show up but then of course they are empty if you click in there. It confused me for a long time as a new user and does lots of players I know.
Why we cant have a 'hide' feature which is automatic ...I really dont know. ( keep them out of the way - less confusing )  Those folders are of NO use in the wrong screen...You need to be in the 'correct main sub screen' for the data to available of course. say song/reg or style ...etc.

And going a bit off topic but still in files....
I do get lost sometimes when i take a step back from a file to folder, the folder is not highlighted now like it always was on PSR and Tyros
its a lot more difficult to move backwards and forwards ... i know we have an arrow back but, but forward and back would help.
The indicator bottom left helps but you cant move forward without selecting the main folder again first you were in, well if you can remember which it was! .

keith
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:02:23 PM by blackpool »

btweengigs

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
Thank you Chris and Keith for your reply and information.  I see now the only way I can get from registration and style play to access an MP3 entails clicking on the Audio Player section of the screen, then clicking the arrow up button, then (in my case) selecting through the folders of genres or artists, then paging through the files til I find the one I want. That is a lot of clicking to be doing while trying to concentrate on playing/singing.

When on a gig and trying to keep things tight, this is a real challenge, not to mention how easy it is to click on the wrong section of the screen.  The S 970 had dedicated buttons for USB and Audio Play...which was a little tricky sometimes....but not as complicated at the above process.

And Keith, yes I agree on the confusion created when stepping back from a file to a previous folder. With previous PSRs when you back tracked you knew where you came from.

Again, Thanks

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »
Hi Eddie,

you don't have to switch between multiple modes when playing a live gig: You can also memorize Audio files to Registrations, exactly like memorizing Voices, Styles, Multi Pads or MIDI files to Registrations.

Use one complete Reg Bank per song title, even if you should need only one Registration in a Bank. Use the name of the song also as name of the Reg file. Then you can always stay in Reg mode.

If desired, you can also organize your Registrations in PLAYLISTS, of course. Then you can stay in the Playlist mode all the time when on gig.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:34:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

blackpool

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
Glad your sorted Eddie, for gigs ...as Chris says ...Playlist is 'made for it' 
If i gigged it would be a no brainer to use that function.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 'stepping back' i have brought this up several times and NOBODY is interested ...To me it is a VERY important. I do really miss that folder highlighting on Tyros/psr, then there was no need to reselect.
Often time I am in a style/reg  and it was SO simple before to flick back and forth in the same folder to different individual files within it ..... NOT the case on the SX ..... it is my only bone of contention with this keyboard.

Keith 

btweengigs

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:13 PM »
Chris....
I am already using some MP3s with registrations in a folder I designate for playing and singing on top of tracks. So I think I understand what you are saying.

But I also have a folder of nothing but MP3's not assigned to any style or registration for those times I have to do some DJing.  It is those files I find difficult to get to. I can do it...but it is a hassle.

blackpool

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
Not tried it Eddie, but would 'search' not be your answer?

Keith

btweengigs

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 08:13:23 PM »
Keith....
Sounded good...so I tried it. I have several MP3s with the word BLUE in them.
So, I tapped on the Audio Player, then > search > typed "Blue"...and it brought up all the songs with Blue in it.
But when I tapped on any of the findings it said:  "File not found or file name inappropriate".  Nice try though. :)

I doubt I could do a search while playing/singing anyway.

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »
Pity .... It is very trial and error the search facility, but useful I find for style files, never used it for mp3 etc.
I would put the files you want into registrations, as Chris says, copy to playlist and then if you search in playlist it might work better, though of course you could then only search what you had created and moved to playlist yourself...if you get my drift.