Author Topic: SX-900 Mixer sliders changing  (Read 1607 times)

Offline PhotoDoc05

SX-900 Mixer sliders changing
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:36:04 PM »
Hello,

I'm a little puzzled on my SX-900 when I watch the Style mixer sliders as I'm playing. They start out at some level, and then they jump around as I hit the chords. Is this the way it's supposed to work? The Rhythm1 and Rhythm2 sliders stay constant, but the other 6 sliders vary at least a little, and it can be pretty obvious jumps when I change Variations, say from A to C.

It's noticeable in the sound, especially when I go from let's say C back to A, there's a noticeable drop in volume for the Style, and on the sliders. I would have thought that the sliders would stay fixed at whatever level they were initially set to. Is this normal, or maybe some setting that's doing this?  Can this be controlled to stay constant?

Thanks for any info, Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline ckobu

Re: SX-900 Mixer sliders changing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
Select Style Setting> Setting> and set Dynamic control to Off.
Then the channel volumes will always be the same.
This determines whether the Style channels will respond to the dynamics of the left hand played.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: PhotoDoc05

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:55:23 PM »
Casper, yes, Thank You, my friend!

That was it exactly, my setting was on "Wide".  I'll have to experiment with this a bit!
How would the Dynamics usually or typically be set? Are there some guidelines on which setting is appropriate?

Regards,  Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:01:53 PM »
No rules. The settings are best adjusted to the way you play and the type of music you play.
Watch my video channel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »
With this setting the volume of the style is determined but the volume of the right hand touch. If you play harder there fore louder the style volume increases to sound as it would with an orchestra.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »
Great feature, bur I found it a little tricky to use. It works very well on some music, such as orchestral music, and it gives life to the playing. My Genos was set to this when I first got it. Now I only use it when I think it suits the music.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 12:52:06 AM »
Thanks Toril, Eileen, and Casper, those are good explanations.
For now, I'll probably just leave the setting Off, unless I try some Orchestral styles  8)

Regards,  Jerry

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »
With this setting the volume of the style is determined but the volume of the right hand touch. If you play harder there fore louder the style volume increases to sound as it would with an orchestra.

If we want to be completely accurate, the dynamics of playing both hands determines the changes in the volume of the Style.  ;)
Watch my video channel

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
Yes, indeed, I happened to notice this when I was just playing chords in my Left Hand!

So, I experimented with those settings, and actually, I like using the "Narrow" setting.
It's a subtle change, but I do hear a little better separation between 2 Chorus voices, instead of just leaving it "Off".

By the way, here's a little tip for everyone, in case you may not know about adding notes to a .PDF file.

I copy and paste these comments into Adobe Acrobat Reader, and build up the SX-900 Reference pdf!
In this case, on page 12, just right-click where you would like it to appear, and choose "Add Sticky Note", works great.
You could Edit the PDF, I suppose, but it's really easy to just add these comments instead.

Regards, Jerry