Author Topic: Tone change problem (loud audio) SX900  (Read 3742 times)

rocky11

Tone change problem (loud audio) SX900
« on: July 20, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
Hello everyone
I Just bought new Yamaha sx900.
I am facing problem in keyboard.
When I hold note and change tone (string ) to piano or any other.  like registration number 1 to 2.
There is loud audio of string sound.
Tone not change smooth like same volume.
I have before Yamaha PSR s750 keyboard. No problem in that keyboard.

How to fix this?? Why this is happening??
 I already updated to new firmware version 1.05
Please help and reply

Offline Toril S

Re: Tone change problem (loud audio) SX900
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
Hello :) You must never hold a key down when changing from one voice to another, that causes the loud, ugly noise. Lift your hand off the keyboard, change the sound and resume. All Yamaha keyboards have this "problem," so I am a little surprised that you didn't have it on your former keyboard.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

rocky11

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
Thank for reply 🙂
I know I can l lift my finger from the key when to change
But in some music we have to keep press after change to next tone. So no gap between music notes.

Yes I am sure no problem in my old Yamaha s750 keyboard. This is first time I am facing this issue in Yamaha PSR.

I have some other keyboard also. Like Roland korg etc but no problem like this.  "Loud ugly audio"  😩

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:52:21 PM »
Hi Rocky,

the "problem" here is that newer models like PSR-SX or Genos have much more Insert Effect blocks (Insert DSPs) than older models. And many Preset Voices and OTS Voices use those Insert Effects.

The reason for such annoying noises when changing the current Voice in a Keyboard Part while holding down the key(s) is that the currently used Insert Effect slot is switched to another setting. In contrast to Yamaha SYNTHS, Yamaha ARRANGER keyboards do NOT have an automatic "Seamless Sound Switching" technology so far.

One way to avoid this noises is to not play any notes while switching to another Voice. Another way is to use Registrations. Here you can e.g. use different Parts for certain Voices and/or assign the used Effect blocks in a better way than it is possible when using OTS or switching Voices manually.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:04:18 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

rocky11

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:05:51 AM »
Hi
 Thanks for reply. I will try. :)
What about any new firmware version update can fix ?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
I think if you have the same DSP settings for the 2 Voices; then holding the note while changing from one Voice to the other will not have the irritating effect. (it's worth a try)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online overover

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
Hi
 Thanks for reply. I will try. :)
What about any new firmware version update can fix ?

Hi Rocky,

I don't think that any new Firmware version can fix this. First of all, it is a Hardware "problem", because the number of effect blocks (DSPs) is limited.

In addition, the internal DSP management would have to be completely changed / rewritten to ensure that a "new" DSP is always used when switching to a different Voice.

So, at the moment we have no choice but to live with this "problem" ...

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

rocky11

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »
I think if you have the same DSP settings for the 2 Voices; then holding the note while changing from one Voice to the other will not have the irritating effect. (it's worth a try)

Joe H

Okk

Offline wersianer

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »
Yamaha's constant ignorance has annoyed me in two ways for many years:
Although programming-savvy members have posted information on how to fix them in forums, to date Yamaha has not felt the need to eliminate the annoying DSP bang on its arranger keyboards with seamless sound switching technology.
With hardware-based sound generation like the Deebach-Expanders BlackBox-Y (http://www.deebach.eu/#xl_xr_page_blackbox-y) there is no such thing.
The same applies to the long outdated memory function of the slider, which must first be shifted to 0 before a change.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:12 PM »
Yamaha's constant ignorance has annoyed me in two ways for many years:
Although programming-savvy members have posted information on how to fix them in forums, to date Yamaha has not felt the need to eliminate the annoying DSP bang on its arranger keyboards with seamless sound switching technology.
With hardware-based sound generation like the Deebach-Expanders BlackBox-Y (http://www.deebach.eu/#xl_xr_page_blackbox-y) there is no such thing.
The same applies to the long outdated memory function of the slider, which must first be shifted to 0 before a change.

It's not ignorance. It's a multi-generational culture of what the arranger was first intended to be... play along with styles (versus programmable synthesizers). The newer arranger owner wants synth capabilities on their arrangers.  As the current market place demands these capabilities more and more, it's only a matter of time before we get them.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline wersianer

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »
I am impressed with the knowledge of the Yamaha perspective.
However, my actual personal experiences come to a different conclusion over the years. How long did Yamaha make us wait for USB2 or a touch display, for example, and instead make money with outdated hardware components ... not to mention the outdated CPU and operating system. That still applies today. How long has disk streaming been around? We are still being tricked with limited RAM chips.
At Yamaha it was always a matter of time ... Corona makes it worse.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
Disk streaming?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline wersianer

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
There is a technique in which the sounds you need - and only these - can be loaded directly from, for example, a fast SSD.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:39:37 AM by wersianer »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »
OK😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer