Author Topic: Help !!!!!!!!!!! My Expansion memory is not loading  (Read 1777 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Help !!!!!!!!!!! My Expansion memory is not loading
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:50:12 AM »
Hi,

I AM SO DISTRAUGHT .

I had downloaded the two packs - Colors of Iberia and Celtic Genos, loaded on my YEM and tried to install in the Genos. During this process in YEM, i also unchecked one external pack "The One" from my YEM to release some space. I created a cqi file first, but the keyboard said, it will need a cpi file. So I created a cpi file.

Now when I install it in Genos, it says "failed to access data" and restarts.  I tried it several times but the same result.  I then tried loading the last working cpi files with me (I have a backup of every cpi file I create, in case I have to revert back to previous setting for some reason like this).  The terrifying part is that the old cpi files (the last two versions which were working perfectly earlier)  are also not loading and giving the same error message. Now when the unit starts, it is showing NO EXPANSION MEMORY AT ALL. EVERYTHING IS GONE. It just shows Preset/User/USB area.

Is there any hardware issue which has cropped up? I am so terrified. The Yamaha service is almost non-existent in India. And I just shudder to think what will I do I have to reset the machine !!!! I have more than 1000 registrations and many are linked to the rex drumkits i have created over the years. All the LSB / MSB whatever will change if i have to do a fresh install. All my registration links will go for a toss.

I have taken screenshots of all my YEM packs but checking each of over 1000 rex kit's lsb/msb and putting them exactly the similar way in new YEM installation ?  I will go mad.

I have also taken a backup now of bup file and all user settings. What else do I need to do in case resetting HAS TO BE DONE?

Please help

Regards

Anand
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:57:08 AM by anandmaloo »

Offline vanzee

Re: Help !!!!!!!!!!! My Expansion memory is not loading
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
It looks like the folder "Expansion" in the USER area could be deleted.
Try to access the intern USER area by PC/Genos USB-connection
(press button "Playlist" while startup)
and when connected remake the folder "Expansion" via the PC, if it's missing.
The USER area should be showing:
(in Windows : allow to see hidden folders !)
AUDIOREC.ROOT
CHORDLOOPER
Expansion
MULTIPAD
and so on ....
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 10:52:24 AM »
I would try a full system rest. (from the main menu, not a soft reset)

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »
Have you tried a different USB drive?

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: anandmaloo

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »
Stijn,

ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!   THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Just changed my pendrive and it worked !  The packs of my last clean installation 4 months ago are back in place. Thank you all once again for your help and suggestions.

My take on the problem, a very uninformed wild guess  -

I think the problem was that my last installation was a cqi file where I installed a stand alone pack "The One" without formatting the entire expansion. This time i went for installing two packs as a cqi file but I unchecked the last installed pack "The One" in YEM, which I had installed by cqi file . Probably the YEM / Genos did not handle that situation correctly and messed up my Expansion memory.

The original pendrive which I was using for these last two years was still showing all the files correctly. However, on Stijn's advice I did change the pendrive but this time I used my earliest cpi file with me. It installed. I then tried my last successful installation cpi file (the one prior to installing my standalone pack by cqi file) and that also worked.

Whatever reason it was, it is working now. And I am so happy. THANK YOU STIJN ONE AGAIN

Warm Regards

Anand

Offline Stijn

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 06:55:44 PM »
@Anand,
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Yamaha advises to format the USB flash drive on Genos itself, see page 111 of the owner's manual.
A USB flash drive formatted on another device may not operate properly.

A side note:
On a couple of occasions I had the problem that Genos didn't accept the *.cqi setup and I had to start all over again and re-save the pack as *.cpi. All in all this took a lot more time.

That's why I now prefer to only use the .cpi option; it takes a bit longer, but it's only a few more minutes and that way I'm sure that it works. No hiccups there.

Regards,
Stijn

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 07:08:05 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: anandmaloo