Author Topic: PSR SX900 Boot malfunction in the 5th week after buying (Yamaha answered)  (Read 4909 times)

licodemel

My brand new SX900 suddenly had a boot error in the 5th week after buying. Once I switched on its stuck on the logo and never proceed with the main menu. No sound or any functions. I did not use a USB drive or a wireless adapter. I noticed this error has found by many SX900 owners. unfortunately, Yamaha still not able to answer this issue and all owners who got this error, had to replace the entire Keyboard.

I did the following actions.
  • soft reset using the last most key according to the guide book - It does not work
  • updated the Firmware V1.04.  - installation proceeds successfully, but when to restart, it stopped on the logo again.

Finally, the Yamaha agent agreed to replace the Keyboard with a new. However, who can give a guarantee this will not happen again to the new one?

the error video is available here https://www.facebook.com/liconde.mel.9/videos/113931953677686/?t=3

Does anyone found a solution for this at home? If there any way to factory reset (not soft reset ) please share with others.

I think Yamaha should carefully looking into this and give a solution for this other than replacing the whole unit. Personally I afraid of recommending SX900/700 to any other with this malfunction.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:14:13 AM by licodemel »

Offline Aquilauno

Re: PSR SX900 Boot malfunction in the 5th week after buying
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:21:11 AM »
Hi Licodemel
first of all I am very sorry, I understand your situation.
This problem becomes more serious. Evidently this is not a small but really big problem. I feel one kissed by luck as, mysteriously, I solved it with the 1.04 update. But every time I turn on I have the "terror" that the procedure stops until I hear that final click with the lighting of all the LEDs my heart is in "standby" ...
I am convinced that this is not a problem HW but SW ... and only Yamaha can verify it.
It remains the mystery of how my keyboard came out without needing to be replaced, but I was a month and a half with an expensive ornament waiting for someone from Yamaha to give me an answer and an immediate replacement after 22 days from purchase.
A problem like this, is not acceptable.
Out of curiosity did you "play" with your favorites before the "out of order" of the SX900? the suspect revolves around this. Finally, since I do not consider myself lucky, in my case the keyboard has been disconnected from the power supply for about twenty days, maybe more. Then I tried installing the V. 1.04. with success.
I haven't done anything more.... waiting for assistance... I am close to you.

Pietro
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:48:08 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
Yes I believe this was a problem that occurred when trying to delete favourite styles incorrectly. I understood that the latest update solved this problem.

licodemel

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »
@Aquilauno and @EileenL

Thank you. I agree with you both. It should be a software issue and adding/removing styles to favorite sections. I added and removing styles to favorite sections using long touch. is there any formal way to do it?
However, the Firmware 1.04 installation has proceeded successfully, therefore, I don't think they have been solved this issue in version 1.04.

And I strongly believe, minor errors like styles to favorite should not harm to the entire keyboard operating system like a boot error.  What will happen when this occurred when you performing with a large number of audience.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
And I strongly believe, minor errors like styles to favorite should not harm to the entire keyboard operating system like a boot error.  What will happen when this occurred when you performing with a large number of audience.

We all agree with you, but mistakes happen. The best they can do is fix the mistakes when they're found.

Others have reported that the latest OS update solved the problem.

Performing live will always have risks. What do you do if the power goes out? We all handle these showstoppers as best we can.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »
My brand new SX900 suddenly had a boot error in the 5th week after buying. Once I switched on its stuck on the logo and never proceed with the main menu. ...

I did the following actions.
  • soft reset using the last most key according to the guide book - It does not work
  • updated the Firmware V1.04.  - installation proceeds successfully, but when to restart, it stopped on the logo again.

Finally, the Yamaha agent agreed to replace the Keyboard with a new. However, who can give a guarantee this will not happen again to the new one? ...

Does anyone found a solution for this at home? If there any way to factory reset (not soft reset ) please share with others. ...

Hi licodemel,

in this case, the problem seems to be Data corruption of the Root File System in the User System Memory (located in the "eMMC0" chip).

There ARE two methods to Factory Reset the SX900 (without calling up "Utility> Factory Reset" on the display).

It works exactly like the Genos: Either you call the internal TEST program with a certain key combination and select the test "064 Factory Set" OR you call the Factory Set routine (including "Force Format Mode") directly with another key combination .

(Yamaha does not want this key combination to be posted publicly on the internet. If you are interested, please write me a private message.)

The big problem in the present case (device only boots up to the SX900 logo) is that the entry point for the test program and also for the factory set routine is AFTER the point at which the SX900 gets stuck in the boot routine. This means that the test program or factory reset cannot be achieved.

Therefore, if the SX900 does not normally function (again) after the latest firmware version has been installed again, and the TEST program or the aforementioned Factory Set routine cannot be started (and successfully executed), only YAMAHA can help, unfortunately.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
O.K. All right ... but I don't think it's a wrong way to remove and put the favorites ... (hold for two seconds and it's done)
In this way, I would program this function... is the system most logical .
What is not logical is that this procedure (which works without problems in Genos) creates such a problem in SX900. Yamaha delve into this.
So I do not accept the speech of having carried out an incorrect procedure  ::)  (even if different from those indicated in the user manual) and that this led to freezing:
1) because I believe that it must be possible to proceed in this way to store the favorites and that in reality the error arises from a bug in the operating system.
2) If this were not the case, the possibility of carrying out a wrong procedure that lead to a freezing of the instrument had to be inhibited when programming the S.O..

In summary if the Operative System allows it to be done, the procedure (about the favorites) must not produce such damage, otherwise it must be blocked.
I remain of the idea that the S.O., born for Genos, has been adapted to the PSR SX900 with some compatibility errors that leads to the blocking  the younger sister. (in particular cases) :'(

Pietro

andorra

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
That thing happened to me befor.  The new firmware doesn't solve this problem. I have never used favorites.

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
Hi Andorra I had read your old post and I was already seeing the replacement of the motherboard  after 22 days of use (sigh!).
In my opinion, this does not exclude the theory of favorites ... I assume that the blockage on the logo can have various causes, as indicated by some forum members, mainly a motherboard failure. In my case it is excluded since the SX900 has started working again without assistance.
I am avoiding the use of favorites, you never know. Of course, in two years before the guarantee expires, I will play with my favorites for a full hour.
If it gets stuck I will ask for technical assistance under warranty ... maybe I will replace the used SX900 with a new one ... LOL .
One thing that came to my mind ... Before the SX900 froze I have able to delete all the favorites, so nothing was left in memory, I don't know if this may have positively affected, in my case, with the subsequent update 1.04, nothing else comes me to mind.
PS:
I remember, however, that the use of favorites happened to me involuntarily. I held down and saw that the icon was highlighted by a yellow bar. Now it is definitely not your case, but it is only to emphasize that the operating system provides this possibility and should not create problems ...  However, that this (about the favorites) is only a theory and is not said to be founded.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:57:37 AM by Aquilauno »

blackpool

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »
Unlike yourself Licodemel,....I dont have problems at all now with fav. function and since the update I have used the function without issue at all.....it does seem strange ...for you re.the up-date not solving it???

I did mention in a previous post ( when I had my earlier board replaced with this issue ) 
It would appear there were 2 very different ways detailed in the manuals ( Genos V SX ) when deleting favs. which did seem odd to me.
but i did not see any replies on this.

I am glad, well for me, it all seemed sorted with the new update...although it was a 'chicken and egg' situ. as i could not get past the first screen in my case, to do the actual up-date ....just no response!!  hence the need for the unit to be changed I assume.

I am surprised you could get in to do the up-date at all, which leads me to believe your issue may NOT in fact have a connection to this.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:09:29 PM by blackpool »

licodemel

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
That thing happened to me before.  The new firmware doesn't solve this problem. I have never used favorites.
@andorra what happen to your Keyboard. did they replace or repair? Now, this is going to be serious. >:( >:( >:( How many Yamaha SX900 recalled with this issue?

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
How many Yamaha SX900 recalled with this issue?

Happened to me, too! (and 3 others now including you, that have reported) Unfortunately, due to the lockdown in my country, I've been stuck with my faulty SX900 for over 2 months now :(

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55088.msg429968.html#msg429968
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:25:48 PM by Christopher Fernandes »
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »
Finally, the Yamaha agent agreed to replace the Keyboard with a new.

Sounds like a fair offer to me, I'd take that.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
Thanks also to the interest of some members of the forum, Yamaha may have noticed the problem. Willingness to replace is also excellent news. I hope it is an arrangement from above that applies to all customers who find themselves in this bad situation. Malfunctioning keyboards can be studied to understand where the problem actually arises.

For Christopher
I was wondering if I had solved ... occasionally you can retry the installation of v. 1.04 ... so much that you wait for the end of the emergency ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:07:57 PM by Aquilauno »

Offline Christopher Fernandes

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
you can retry the installation of v. 1.04 ... so much that you wait for the end of the emergency ...

Well, I've done that probably 100+ times and I've given up at this point. Trying it again and again just ends up making me feel bad about myself lol. I think the lockdown will end soon hopefully (at least this time i.e. next week)
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

licodemel

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
Hi all
My agent replaced the keyboard with a new one and I was not happy even I got a new one. they were also unable to answer what is the issue here.
However, Finally.. happy  :D  to see Yamaha has released their new Firmware 1.05 and clearly addressed this issue.
"Fixed a rarely occurring problem in which the instrument would not be started after a file had been removed from “Favorites.”"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:14:34 AM by licodemel »

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 07:55:54 PM »
 ;) Very well!!!