Author Topic: Advice for using Registration Memory  (Read 1414 times)

Advice for using Registration Memory
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:39:58 PM »
Hello folks, I would appreciate your advice for using Registration Memory in the following case. I have probably 400 midi songs that I have collected over time. Much of these midi songs I particularly prefer to play the melody with 1, two or there instruments (voices), in some cases I like to Chance the key, or tempo or other particular set ups. My question is, Is It good a good idea or a good practice to register all my set ups for that particular midi song and store as a Registration Memory? If I have 400 songs, do AI have to make 400 individual Registration Memory with the name of each song? Is there any problem making 400 Registration Memory? Each Registration file has 8 memory's, these ones shoal be use in what cases? Sometimes I use sysex for registration of specific things regars that midi song, but I do not know or understand if it's preferable to use Registration Memory. Thanks all for your advice.
Best regards.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:40:25 AM by bhergar56 »
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Advice for usig Registration Memory
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
Hello folks, I would appreciate your advice for using Registration Memory in the following case. I have probably 400 midi songs that I have collected over time. Much of these midi songs I particularly prefer to play the melody with 1, two or there instruments (voices), in some cases I like to Chance the key, or tempo or other particular set ups. My question is, Is It good a good idea or a good practice to register all my set ups for that particular midi song and store as a Registration Memory? If I have 400 songs, do AI have to make 400 individual Registration Memory with the name of each song? Is there any problem making 400 Registration Memory? Each Registration file has 8 memory's, these ones shoal be use in what cases? Sometimes I use sysex for registration of specific things regars that midi song, but I do not know or understand if it's preferable to use Registration Memory. Thanks all for your advice.
Best regards.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be:

1. Your keyboard has room for thousands of registrations. You don't have to worry about every running out of space for them.
3. Yes, you have to create 400 registrations -- one per song.
2. If you want to easily find your songs, and save time in setup, then registrations are the way to go. Muting channels, transpositions, etc. can all be memorized.
3. You need to decide whether you want one registration button per song (8 songs per bank), or one bank per song. I use one bank per song, as it's easier to find the song registration. You can use the other 7 buttons for whatever you want (like a favorite voice setting or different versions of the song), or leave them blank.
4. If you have 400 songs, all 400 would fit into one folder on your keyboard. If you plan to have a lot more, you could create 26 top folders of A-Z, and store your registrations underneath.

If I were you, I would start by creating, say, 5 registrations. See if you like them, then go from there.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56

Re: Advice for usig Registration Memory
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
Thank you Fred, I'll start with this exercise and see how it works. I don't have it clear right now the difference between  this method or saving the setups in sysex, editing the midi file, and and then using the execute setup,  then save the file. By now I don't know witch one is more effective, I appreciate your help, thanks again.
👍🏻 Don't worry be happy!