Author Topic: Volume and Midi's  (Read 1771 times)

Offline burns12

Volume and Midi's
« on: July 09, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
Hi all,

Recently upgraded from a Tyros 2 to a Tyros 5 and I have found a difference in volume. I feel that when playing with midi's the midi is drowning out the voices and setting the volume is more difficult, whereas with the T2 I just put all the voices to 127 and kept song volume to 100 (I would change the CMP in mixing console to Hard on T2 but Tyros 5 does not have this option it seems).

I am wondering if my volume settings are set up wrong or if there is a good way to set volume and voices so that the midi file isn't drowning out the voices.

I have tried mucking about with this (image attached), but don't really understand its use
I also sometimes find that the left hand (Right 3) is quieter than the right.

Any help and suggestions appreciated!!

Cheers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EileenL

Re: Volume and Midi's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
The above picture the slider is used to fade in and out a Midi File to a WAV file playing, like a DJ would cue up his next song for playing.
127 seems very loud to have midi parts set to. Most styles the volume of Drums would be between 70 to 90 and Bass at around 65. The other parts would vary from 40 to 80.
  You still have a compressor section on Tyros5.

Offline burns12

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
Hi Elieen,

I mean that I have the ‘song’ usually set at 100 and the voices (left, right 1, right 2, right 3) set at 127 on the tyros 2. However when I do the same on the Tyros 5 the midi drowns out the voices playing with the right and left hand - I mute the main voice of the midi so I’m playing.

Yeah I know the compressor section is still there, just different to what the tyros 2 looked like and what I used to set it too.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »
I also moved T2 to T5
My T5 76 SONG set between 80 - 90.
I don't like setting RH at 127 as this could push the pre-amps into clipping.
My Rh MAX around 110 - 115
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: burns12

Offline burns12

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:01:41 PM »
Hi graham,

What does this mean? “pre-amps into clipping”

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »
Clipping is when a signal gets too strong for your amplifier to process it. The signal gets distorted, there may be gaps in the sound. A preamp is a small mixer or audio interface that you use to connect your instrument or microphone to for instance a speaker system.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: burns12