Author Topic: .cpi File Help  (Read 4631 times)

Offline LaHawk

.cpi File Help
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
Awhile back, to give it a try, someone sent me a .cpi file from his own personal .ppi file. I copied it to a usb stick, and it appears on the PSR-SX-900 under Pack Installation. However I get "The File cannot be installed to the instrument".  And, it will not load in Expansion Manager.
Any help?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: DerekA

Offline Al Ram

Re: .cpi File Help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »
it could be that you need the original .cpf or .ppf file to bring into your Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) and then create your own cpi file using YEM and then install in your keyboard.   

Also, in a way it is good your keyboard did not accept the cpi file.    The way i understand it, . . . . new cpi could potentially erase existing packs if you had any previous packs in the keyboard.

Thanks 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:16:01 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »
Yes it is only PPF and CPF files that will load into YEM. Make sure you have the latest version installed on your computer .

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:43:12 PM »
Thanks
I thought .cpi files could be loaded directly in to the keyboard without using YEM first. However, I'm thinking Al is on the right track, in that maybe you can't use someone else's .cpi file without the .cpf file? Maybe .cpi files are only specific for the keyboard they were made on and not shareable?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »
Thanks
I thought .cpi files could be loaded directly in to the keyboard without using YEM first. However, I'm thinking Al is on the right track, in that maybe you can't use someone else's .cpi file without the .cpf file? Maybe .cpi files are only specific for the keyboard they were made on and not shareable?

I think the problem is that whoever made the file needs your .n27 ID from your keyboard to make an installation file specifically for your keyboard. But the problem is they need the .cpf file which a copy protected file registered to that keyboard, so... even with your .n27 file, it may not work.

PS: I tried this once with a .ppf and made a .ppi file for another S970 keyboard (using the .n27 file from that other keyboard).  It wouldn't load into my own S970 because the .n27 ID was wrong.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:18:19 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:36:21 AM »
Thanks Joe. Great explanation.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »
Thanks

The whole point of CPF / CPI is copy protection to prevent sharing.

The CPF is loaded into YEM. When you then attempt to generate a CPI file with YEM it checks back to Yamaha Musicsoft to make sure the user has purchased the source pack (it does this by asking for a musicsoft username/password then storing them locally for future use). The CPI is built using the serial number of the specific instrument (as held in the n27) that was selected as the target in YEM, and will only work on that instrument.
Genos