The PSR Tutorial Forum (5 Boards) > Forum How To Focus

Dealing with nervousness and teaching kids ( online )

(1/3) > >>

Normanfernandez:
Hello everyone.

I have a odd learning experience here.
I was recently offered a Online Teaching Job.
Kids 6 to 9 years old.
I was quite nervous about the interview and I think might have screwed up the interview which included a demo of how I'll teach.

I didn't quite understand how to go about it.  ( Demo )
There's going to be another demo scheduled in a day or so.

My biggest problem is I've never taught kids of that age.
Older kids were no issue.
Study materials are there full and plenty. 

I've mainly interacted with experienced Musicians so communications wasn't an issue. 

How do I not get nervous during the interview, also I would have to create some Power Point Presentation / Pictures / PDF.
To show the parents / person running the institute. .
I know for sure that I know the basics well and even the advanced parts.
But my nervousness kicks in and everything goes out the window.

Also my first time teaching online.

Any suggestions please do share! Regards Norman!

mikf:
Are you talking about teaching music, or general teaching?

Normanfernandez:
Music teaching

Al Ram:
Norman
One suggestion,  you can rehearse the interviews in advance . . . .

This is what i suggest . . . .

based on interviews you already had

1. create a questionnaire of possible questions that they have asked you in the past or that you think you would ask another person being interviewed . . . . (in other words, switch the roles and put the hat of interviewer and think about the questions to be asked .. . .)

2. respond to the questionnaire, first in writing . . . and then out loud, this should allow you to compose your thinking and your vocabulary, pronunciation, diction, 

3. rehearse the questions/answers by yourself over and over

4. Finally, have a friend or family member interview you . . . .. rehearse this over and over, practice in a similar environment as close as possible to an actual interview . . . ..  table, chair, if it is online, computer monitor, mic, video camera, etc, watch your own body language . . . .ask your friend to tell you how they perceived you, correct thinks that you notice are not projecting security and knowledge

overall, the result should be that you will create a mental picture of the setup and the responses, almost like a reflex,  your mind and body will get used more and more and hopefully you will not only lose the nervousness but also be much better at your possible responses in the actual interview(s).

Hope this helps.

Normanfernandez:
I'll have to make my presentation,

First time making a demo for teaching music.
What makes it more Weird. ( The feeling )
It's online based. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version