Author Topic: Problem with audio recording - noise  (Read 3197 times)

pfontana

Problem with audio recording - noise
« on: June 11, 2020, 01:38:23 AM »
Hello, I am having a difficulty with my Genos, my system is in version v2.02 that I just updated to see if this problem that I have disappeared but is still present.
When I record a song with Quick Audio Recording, after finishing and when playing it, it produces noises and even acceleration and speed reduction intermittently.
I have read everything I could from both the manuals and the threads of various posts in the forum and did not find something similar.
Based on similar posts I did something I read in some solutions which was to record it as MIDI and then play the MIDI and record it as AUDIO, but the result is the same.
I do not know if someone has any similar experience and what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance.

Offline PierreSW

Re: Problem with audio recording - noise
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
Hey!
Same here it is reported to Yamaha
Here is one of my problems.
Tried to record on Genos but found a new one.
I have problem with the Genos AUDIO-MULTI recorder.
Have 3 files here Apache where there is an error at 50 seconds in, where speed increases
and in Dance on there is asynchronization at the end of the file as well as Kära Syster chops it to a bit into.
I have contacted Yamaha about this so hopefully they will correct this in the future
so you can record directly in Genos.

https://app.box.com/s/mae2x3f59mcka7cqg1us8v1xoaw2gpfj   
https://app.box.com/s/rqtgfw4hd4m5x8uzpszvlc18jnkoxsax     
https://app.box.com/s/co7mtry68iuwx7uw2fhte7swc14zs7z7

Greetings Pierre

YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Janus

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
You can better use the computer for recording
There is a free recorder prg Audacity
The advantage is you can edit the file direct like transpose and many other things
and save it in different formats like mp3 or wav

Gr.Jan

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Hey!
For the price Genos has, I think all the features in Genos should work, or what do you think?
You shouldn't have to use any computer at all to record music in Genos,
That's why these applications are there, right?
So it is with all the gadgets you buy, they should work as intended.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

pfontana

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
Pierre, you don't know how glad I am to know that someone else has this difficulty.
It is not that I am happy that someone has a problem it is because I thought that it was only a factory failure of my keyboard.

I find it strange that it does not seem to happen in all Genos, because I have seen YouTube videos of some people who have the keyboard and are with the keyboard screen recording in Quick Audio and apparently without problems.

I have this problem since I bought it with firmware versions V 1.4x, that is to say that it was not a new problem, but already in the original version it already had this defect.

Pierre I listened to your recordings and the difficulties are really very small, except for Apache compared to the ones I register. Today I am going to try to make an audio and upload it so that you can hear how badly it records.

I also thought at first that it was only a reproduction theme in the Genos and I copied it and reproduced it in a notebook but with the same result.

It is also true what you say that for the price we have paid for Genos it is desirable that it fulfill these recording functions, considering that we are not talking about multiple tracks, but a single stereo track that today should be a basic theme.

Janus, thanks for your proposal, I have Audacity installed on my notebook, what I don't understand is if I can connect Genos to Audacity directly through the USB port? This is so ?
If you could give me an orientation I will take care of investigating it until the problem is solved.

Thank you both and take care.

Janus

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
No,  you have to connect the audio genos out to the notebook audio or mic in
Set the volume 80 % input in audacitie to keep the noise level low

Gr.Jan

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
It is best to use an audio interface.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jugge

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »
It is best to use an audio interface.

Yes, I agree with Toril. I think it's a shame that Genos don't let us use it as an external audio interface.
Even my cheep Yamaha mx49 had that feature.
With the MODX you have a 10-in/4-out USB audio interface and you just need to connect the USB cable between Genos an the computer.
I guess yamaha felt that the included audio recorder would be enough for most peoples, but I really miss that feature from my previous Yamaha keyboards.

Cheers
/Jugge
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »
The audio recorder on Genos and the PSR models is usually very good, but if it is not recording correctly try to use an audio interface. I did that a lot when using my PSR-2100. Used audacity, and a simple USB audio interface from Focusrite.
Noise can come from many sources, often from power bricks or other eqipment connected to our keyboards. But you should NOT get sound that speeds up and then slows down!! That suggests there is something wrong with the recorder on the keyboard.
I would try to record the song using quick MIDI. Then convert the MIDI to audio by playing the MIDI song while recording it. If you still get speed changes, there is either something wrong with the recorder, or the USB you record the song to is not up to the task. Try using another one. On Genos You can record to USER, but the XS900 probable records audio directly to the USB stick.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

pfontana

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Janus, thanks for the clarification I will try it.

Toril S and Jugge, perfect, I'm going to use my Focusrite external board to go directly into Audacity adjusting de vol level as it suggests Janus.

Toril S mentions about recording MIDI and then playing MIDI and recording Audio, I've already done it and I obtened the same result, that's why I think my keyboard has some difficulty with the recorder although I am surprised that it generates a lot of noise.

Yesterday I could not but today I am going to upload an example for you to hear and give me your opinion.

There is something that Toril S mentions that makes me think, I am going to disconnect all the elements that I have connected to the keyboard, even so I am going to try to change the voltage transformer that I have since it is a keyboard that I bought in the USA and it is at 110 V and here we have 220V, perhaps the transformer is introducing some electrical disturbance that generates these problems.

I am going to review the voltage technical specifications to include as a possibility to change the voltage converter.

Thank you all, I keep you informed of the progress I can make.