Author Topic: Can you edit a genos user drive backup  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Oldden

Can you edit a genos user drive backup
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »
I think the answer will be no, but I thought I would ask.
If I make a backup of my Genos User drive to my laptop. Is it possible to do any editing on any part of it then load it back into my Genos. Thinking of styles, mp3s anything.
Oldden

Offline Stijn

Re: Can you edit a genos user drive backup
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
If you mean by backup that you copy the files from the User to the laptop, then yes, you can.

It's the same as copying files to a USB drive, edit them with suitable applications and copying them back to the User.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »
Look at CASPERS site
The one with the flying mauve hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyD_uIcYmCY
All the best
John
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:12:39 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Oldden

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
Yes, I meant , can you copy any or all of the folders on the Genos drive to a laptop with a cable. Then change , add or alter anything on the copy on the laptop then send it back to my Genos using the same method as I used to copy.
Oldden

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:28:18 PM »
Hello John, here I am and my hat.  :D
Here is a video to help @Oldden solve the problem.

@Oldden - you can add new MP3 or Style to folders on your computer and then copy them to USER. You can, for example, change the names of Banks.

https://youtu.be/tyD_uIcYmCY
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Oldden

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
I think the answer will be no, but I thought I would ask.
If I make a backup of my Genos User drive to my laptop. Is it possible to do any editing on any part of it then load it back into my Genos. Thinking of styles, mp3s anything.
Oldden

Oldden,

I do make regular backups (copies) of my Genos User drive.

But, after that, I do all my changes on the User drive. Your computer views the User drive as an external drive, and you can work with it like any other drive.

By copying only one way, I avoid synchronization problems (ie, files deleted in one place, but not another and files updated in one place but not another.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Oldden

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 06:10:43 PM »
Thank you,
I wondered if I would get synchronising problems if I changed the order of anything or added and removed things.
Oldden

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »
You may have problems with the Playlist and with the Registrations. If you change the name of Style, Voice, Multipad ... the Registration that calls it will not be correct.
Watch my video channel

Offline Oldden

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
It seems just another thing that Yamaha could make easier and better. Would be nice to have a piece of software on your laptop, just plug it in to Genos, change almost anything and it does an automatic backup.
Oldden

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 06:54:14 PM »
It seems just another thing that Yamaha could make easier and better. Would be nice to have a piece of software on your laptop, just plug it in to Genos, change almost anything and it does an automatic backup.
Oldden

I'm just thankful we can treat the User drive as an external drive. Much easier using a computer than the keyboard. So at least your initial question was answered in the affirmative.

Having to backup manually isn't a big issue for me. I do it only once every six months, and never had a need to do it more often.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Oldden