Author Topic: Playing Computer Midi Software With SX900 Sounds  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Bernie9

Playing Computer Midi Software With SX900 Sounds
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »
I am picking up unwanted instruments,and don't see any templates or midi config to guide me in the manuals. It says that a driver is not usually necessary.  The bulk of the midi plays fine,but can't seem to find what is causing the extra bad sounds.

Bernie

Janus

Re: Playing Computer Midi Software With SX900 Sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
The midi software must have the voice list of the keyboard
You have to look for it and install it
Try VanBasco for replay-Free to download from the internet
You can set the xg reset global
You have to select the yamaha driver in the software
Default the software use the internal synth not the best quality
Use only software were you can set the yamaha driver
like xgworks cubase cakewalk

Gr.Jan
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:31:04 AM by Janus »

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »
Thank you for your reply,but not being a software expert, I was under the impression that Notation Composer(in my case) used a GM soundset from the keyboard. If not,what is the sense in tying it to the keyboard at all?

I guess I didn't realize it was so complicated,as I am currently using the set up with a Ketron SD40 module,and it automatically plays fine.

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
I separated the two and used the default GM set from Composer,routing the output to the SX900 aux in.  It is not stellar,but decent. Maybe it is worth buying a GM set of superior quality and installing it into the laptop.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »
Why not just play them in the keyboard. This will give you the best results.

Janus

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
I separated the two and used the default GM set from Composer,routing the output to the SX900 aux in.  It is not stellar,but decent. Maybe it is worth buying a GM set of superior quality and installing it into the laptop.

The wrong way
You have a nice keyboard wit beautful voices
There are no good Gm sets set the quality 20 years back
simple use the usb midi cable belongs to your keyboard,  install the usb midi driver,  setup the driver in the midi software
There are 2 yamaha drivers midi a usb 1 and midi b usb 2
Choice the midi a usb 1 driver
The sound will be the same as on your keyboard
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:46:09 PM by Janus »

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Yes, that would seem the easiest,but for the fact Composer produces a lead sheet with notation,lyrics, and chords I need for more unfamiliar songs on a much larger screen.  I have hundreds of songs compiled through the years.  Aside from these factors,I agree it is simpler to play them in house,so to speak. The drawbacks,however, are that the screen is smaller,hard to find and mute the lead instrument,chords not always there.  On the other hand, I use the midi and audio player for vocal and familiar midis.

Bernie

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
Thank you Janus,I have no doubt you are right.  I will try and follow your advice. Much appreciated.
Bernie

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
I have solved the problem thanks to this fine forum. The "Computer Related Manual" said to use the USB host over the standard Midi connection.  Per Janus,I switched to a Midi interface,and now have glorious accurate sound of my SX900. I didn't have to do any more than that.

Thanks all
Bernie