Author Topic: GENOS - Master volume doesn't work for Line Out  (Read 2792 times)

jgaetjens

GENOS - Master volume doesn't work for Line Out
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:26:06 AM »
GENOS Master Volume problem. I use the Line Out Sub [1], [2], [3] and [4], in addition to the [R] and [L] outputs, and then output to a mixer. However, the Master Volume control on the GENOS does not affect the Sub outputs at all. I put the Registrations together at home - I set up the balancing correctly and save with the Master Volume set at a certain point (e.g.12:00) - but during performance with different venues there is sometimes a need to increase (or decrease) the Master Volume on the GENOS - but it only changes the volume for the [R] and [L] channels and so the balancing with the remaining channels goes bad. Sometimes I must use the GENOS Master Volume because it is not viable to simply adjust the overall volume on the mixer. When the balance between the channels consequently gets messed up, it is difficult to quickly play around with the separate channel volumes on the mixer, and even if I can I sometimes "max-out".

Does anyone know how to get the Master Volume to work for all the output channels including Sub [1], [2], [3] and [4]? There should be a fix, because that is what "MASTER" volume means - it should affect everything. According to the Owner's Manual the [3] and [4] jacks when used as AUX OUT jacks do not respond to the Master Volume, and I understand that. However, I do not have these set as AUX OUT and furthermore I also have the problem for Subs [1] and [2].

This is my first time using this forum. I hope someone can help. Thank you. Jim

Offline overover

Re: GENOS - Master volume doesn't work for Line Out
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »
GENOS Master Volume problem. I use the Line Out Sub [1], [2], [3] and [4], in addition to the [R] and [L] outputs, and then output to a mixer. However, the Master Volume control on the GENOS does not affect the Sub outputs at all. ...

Hi Jim,

unfortunately, this is the (only) way it works: The Master Volume does NOT affect the SUB or AUX Outputs. The volume on SUB Outputs and/or AUX Outputs is always fixed. This is the normal behavior (also on Tyros5 and all previous Tyros models) and cannot be changed.

This fact is one reason that I do NOT use SUB Outputs when performing live. (I only use the MAIN Outputs L/R connected to an external Mixer.)

Another reason not to use the SUB Outputs is that no System effects are output through them (Reverb and Chorus effect block and Variation block, if used as a System effect). Insert effects are of course also output via the SUB outputs. But if you want to have the same effects via the SUB outputs as the standard via the MAIN outputs, you would in many cases have to reprogram Styles, MIDI files or even Voices (i.e. recreate the desired effects with Insert effects).

In my opinion, it might make sense to output the Bass Drum and perhaps the Bass Guitar to the external Mixer via separate SUB outputs. However, you would have to make sure in advance that the volume levels of these parts in the Styles or MIDI files used are uniform and that the same Voices are used if possible.

If you want to keep the way you work described (MAIN Output L / R + up to four SUB outputs), you could probably do this with a programmable Digital Mixer. You could program a separate SCENE (= separate volume settings for each Mixer channel) for each song, which you can call up e.g. via an iPad app like "Songbook+" at the same time as the Genos song Registration concerned. You could also work with Sub-Groups on the Digital Mixer, so that if necessary you can MANUALLY control the volume of all Genos SUB Outputs on the external Mixer with a single fader. (The latter would of course also work with an analog mixer that supports Sub-Groups.)

For my part, I try (using comparison songs) to mix my Style Registrations and the MIDI files used at home as consistently as possible. To listen to the mixes, I mainly use "AKG K712 Pro" headphones and my Yamaha studio monitors (2 * MSP5 Studio + HS8S subwoofer). I use the "Midiland Optimizer XI" to edit and mix MIDI files. This gives you quick access to all voices and effects (graphical user interface for all DSPs) and also various editors (e.g. event editor, key editor, drum editor, drum splitter).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:05:26 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

jgaetjens

Re: GENOS - Master volume doesn't work for Line Out
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 03:49:53 AM »
Thanks Chris. Very helpful.
Jim