Author Topic: Sound comparison PSR E433 and PSR E463  (Read 4616 times)

Offline vbdx66

Sound comparison PSR E433 and PSR E463
« on: July 26, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
Hi guys,

I am once again contemplating the possibility of buying a PSR E4xx keyboard on top of my DGX650 and Casio CT-X800.

I am hesitating between buying for the third time the PSR E433, which I enjoyed very much some years ago, and the PSR E463, which I tried for two weeks after having tried the Casio CT-X3000 for the same length of time (two years ago I loved the sounds of the CT-X3000 but found the ergonomy horrible, on the other hand the E463 was very easy to operate but I found the sounds somewhat of poorer quality].

On the paper, the E463 looks more sophisticated  than the E433, but as much as I liked the sound of the E433, I found that the sound of the E463 lacked some kind of sparkle and was kind of dull.

So, I some of you had the chance to play both keyboards, could you please tell me what is your feeling on this matter?

Might it be possible that the DAC were better on the E433 than they are on the E463? I am asking this because the keybed is undoubtedly better on the older model, so maybe the overall build quality of the E series was better at the time...? What do you think...? :o

Thanks for helping,

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline SciNote

Re: Sound comparison PSR E433 and PSR E463
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:14:59 AM »
Hi!  Where have you been?!  This board has been dead without our regulars!

Of course, you know how I feel about the PSR-E433 -- I've had mine for almost 7 years now.  I could've upgraded, but I just have not yet felt that there has been enough "there" on the E443, E453, and E463 for me to make the switch.  The big thing, for me, is the DSP.  But the other upgrades, such as the 48 notes of polyphony, tunable scales, and sampling, while worthwhile features and would likely be important for certain buyers, are just not that much of a big deal to me.  And the other thing I like on the E463 (and possibly also the E453), which is the ability to add reverb and other effects to the drums and styles, also has the significant drawback of not memorizing those effects settings when powering off and on or switching to a different style.  And while I haven't heard them side by side, overall, I don't hear a significant sound quality difference between the two, except when using the DSP effects that are not available on the E433.

Since you already have some keyboards, let me also throw another suggestion out there -- You can get a small synthesizer to add to your set-up, which is what I just did.  I bought a Roland GAIA SH-01, but there are numerous options for synthesizers today in the $300-700 range.  For me, it really adds a whole new dimension to my sound options and playing, allowing me to do various effects, portamento, and orchestration that I didn't have before.

This is what I use to play and record music on now (just click on the links to see the images)...

https://app.box.com/s/mz81amwvxbh3bqs4i9lod9ixuwafxrud

https://app.box.com/s/4duqwnv816xxgj5poz53qjp9en51lhlp

In the first image, illuminating LED's are switched on, while in the second image, they are switched off.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:16:16 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

Re: Sound comparison PSR E433 and PSR E463
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:55:08 AM »
Hi Bob and thanks for your reply. Your home studio setting looks very nice indeed 8)

Well, my husband and myself are having a difficult time since a few years so I have less time than I wished for music and related subjects  :(

Yes, the synth option crossed my mind but I still feel I need some arranging capabilities. It needn’t be an arranger keyboard. If I can one day afford it, the MODX crossed my mind. Maybe a second-hand MOTIF?

Have you links to some of the tracks you made involving the GAIA?

Apart from that, I would like to buy an E4xx keyboard again whatsoever and I am still unsure whether the E463 has the same overall sound quality as the E423 and E433. But it will be quite difficult I have both keyboards side by side to draw a comparison.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.