Author Topic: Multi- Sampling in Yem  (Read 5532 times)

Offline ugawoga

Multi- Sampling in Yem
« on: June 20, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
Hi To The Forum Members
I am so mad at the choirs in Genos as it suffers from the Naf doo be doo's and mens voices that sound like snowflakes.

Dabi do or doggie doo, they are rubbish. Should have Fandabidozie, that would  give Gene Hunt a run for his money.  (For those who watch the tv series Life on Mars), (or the Krankies, from Crackerjack!!!) ;D  Dibbi dobbie boo boo!! Dubba Hubba Bubba! :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* ;D Just as bad as those Sunday's when "Sing Something Simple was on the Radio"!!!! when mum and dad took us on a picnic. MUM!!! "We want Pick of the Pops with Alan Freeman!! ;D .
Remember also that we were never allowed in pubs then. Mum and dad sat us in the car with a Pineapple Juice and a bag of Smiths salt and shake crisps!!!! Sad ain't it.
The kids get away with murder these days.

Well I have Sampletank and found what would be great for the Elo Mr Blue Sky Choirs at the end of the song.
The choirs was the only thing holding back what i have completed

If i sample each note in an octave ,i should get a good sample to play within that octave
If i sample each note dragging in a wave for each note am i right in saying that i also have to name the original key for each note, otherwise it would play just on sample like C for example all the way up that octave. When you look at the original Key , you think of song ,rather than the note. Oh, It must be my Idiotic brain!! :o
I have tried following You Tube , but the guys on there do not speak in English.
I have had a dummy run on one note , but that does not sound so good a few keys up the board , but it worked.
Multi- sampling seems the way.
 I wished Yamaha  made more videos instead of a quick stop me now with music. Yamaha only explain putting a sample on one key which would be ok for a hit or a passage.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:34:03 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

Re: Multi- Sampling in Yem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:58:26 AM »
John, not many replies here, 🧐
maybe not so many into this sampling malarkey yet.

I am not an expert at this and it’s not something I do every day, it’s been a while since I last had a sampling session but what I have achieved is perfect for my own use, there are tons of information on the internet, it just takes time to sive through it and there are plenty of programs for editing samples, takes time to pick the right one and the time to learn how to get the best out of it.

I believe that you can do a lot in YEM, it will be my next move as soon as I have time, I will study it more and possibly it’s the only program that you will need.

There are loads of sampling apps for the iPad and for the PC, you can sample any sound you want from anywhere, it’s just a matter of recording it and also there are lots of ready made samples ready to add to your packs in YEM,

My samples are recorded directly from others keyboards, most of my past keyboard have had 5 or 6 excellent voices and that’s what I am trying to do is to collect them voices eg, Ketron, Technics, some nice sounds on there that I want on my SX

This has been my workflow to date
1   Audacity - Free
2   Polyphone - Free - maybe a donation of $10
3   YEM - Free

Record your sounds into a WAV recorder, record a sample every 4 semitones which will have an C2-Eb2-F#2-A2-C3-Eb3 etc  that has been fine for my voices, drums obviously different.

I trim the samples in Audacity and save, eg ‘violin C2’ etc

Import to Polyphone, 3 parts to this, - Samples - Instruments - Presets
There is some work to do here, sample root, key range etc, your sample can be as simple or as detailed as you want it to be, multi layer/multi velocity etc you just need to fill in the boxes and after you’ve been through the process a few times it gets very easy. Now you should have an sf2 ready to import to YEM and to your packs.

It’s a lot of trial and error here and I’m sure other members can input their way of making samples or even expand on the YEM way,
I will say one thing, if you can master this and able to get the exact sounds you want onto your keyboard then it’s got to be a game changer, do we need to upgrade our keyboards every 2 years to get some new voices, probably not, Yamaha has been very slow coming forward on this, it’s not good business for them but, they have been forced to come forward or other companies will overtake them, things are moving fast, many new keyboards out soon with much easier ways to edit everything,
"seamless DAW integration" are words that Yamaha arranger keyboard division should study more, I mean YAMAHA own Steinberg, and now they own the iPad app "Music Studio" a brilliant easy to use  MIDI/audio sequencer, why can’t we just connect our keyboard to this app and everything plays and editing is easy. -
What’s the problem YAMAHA??? 🤔😡😀

Hope this helps you a little 😀
Take care
Pino
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:56:56 AM by Pino »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:08:59 AM »
Sampling-Multisampling....
A science ...A art ... Very difficult art....
I have been dealing with this art professionally for 20 years and I am still learning...
If ΥΕΜ did not support Soundfont 2, it would be simply impossible to create our custom sounds....
YEM is very poor to create our sounds with user samples, and if we have Multi-Layer velocity sample its imposible on YEM..
In fact it is done but the way it handles import samples its tragic...
If there were no third-party tools (like SampleRobot, Wavelab, etc) it would be impossible....
The best and easiest way is SampleRobot https://samplerobot.com/pages/samplerobot
With this you can to create our sounds with Auto-Sampling method and to create as SF2...
With manualy method its very hard for a beginner to make a correct sampling, looping etc...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:13:06 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
Hi Pino And Sokratis

You talk of SF files as i understand is a soundfont file
What I was thinking is to get a mixed choir sound from Sampletank 4 and record 10 notes which i need (an octave plus two extra) for the job in mind.
From what Sokratis is saying it seems like Sample Robot will also deal with what i have in mind.
I see how in Yem what it takes to build and octave or more, but looking at You Tube the videos, they are either in Dutch or German i think.
I suppose you have to take in consideration key pressure and it's different attributes.
I managed to record one wave sample from Sampletank and play it after saving as my first experiment. Wow he says!! ::)
It sounded ok up to three notes and then goes out of range and i understand why.
It is what Pino stated which is every 4th semitone. I do understand that things like pianos are a more darker proposition, but there are plenty about not to worry about that.
For me the Choirs on Genos and others like Guitars and acoustic guitars need bumping up a little. I will have a look at Polyphone.
Well Pino what i have in mind is to have things contained in the Genos which plays vst and Genos sounds that i can put into registrations to play any time and on the other hand to make songs more with combination of Genos and Vst.
It is a big uphill thing with cubase leaning and that mix thing ;D :P, but i will get there if i do not run out of Time . I need Back to the Future's Flux capacitor!! ;D 8)
Well Sokratis would it be the thing to go for Sample Robot .
One thing i would like to know is how do you keep the attributes of touch loud and soft with the sample. There is a touch sense in Yem i see.
Am i right in saying--- For the purposes of playing Genos and recording from a vst for Genos the key of C is still the best root key to use for making samples.
That purple dot on the keyboard  i assume always stays where it is.
I was thinking that if you put samples on each key without naming each note, C1 in the original key box would still  tell the Genos just to play the first sample C1 for that octave.
Sorry for my explanation as it does seem interesting to make sounds that Genos has trouble with.
It is all fun .

All the best
john
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:56:50 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
John and Sokratis
If you make a multi velocity sample on each note wouldn’t the end result be a massively big sample like some of the pianos and filling up your memory?

It’s a compromise, quality and size, a happy medium. (As the nun said) 😀

I looked at SampleRobot, looks like a great program, but the $250 put me off.

Pino

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:03:36 AM by Pino »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
Hi Pino
Sample Robot does a £150  version. It seems that they put more give away samples in the expensive version which we do not need.
I would think if that is good enough for our purpose..
I have not spent that much during this Covid lockdown ,so  might as well have a treat
I will see if there are any videos on sample Robot.
You are right Pino as sample can take up big space, but you could keep them on a Usb stick and plugin and registration would find it i would think.
No problem bein Home studio bound , but if you play out you would have to work out a system that works.
So working in key of C is ok for recording Vst and if you want cetain sounds to sound like one hits such as drums and effects then you use a different key to match
I suppose the Dj types with a few flashing lights on it would have to have samples in their respective key as they deal only with hits and loops ACID!! ;D
Well Pino ,One nun cannot have nun,so one nun can not get none ::) ;D
So for the GENOS SAMPLE ROBOT SAMPLES ARE EXPORTED USING THE WAVE FILE OPTION  or will it export and Genos play sf 2 ???
Roughly the Choir sample over 127 keys for example would take up 157MB. Being 1.23 MB a sample from Sampletank 4
Not so bad if you can store them on your Expansion.
I see you can ajust to how many notes you want o the bottom keyboard in Sample Robot. Lucky the German guy spoke English!!  glücklich :)  or χαρούμενος  :)

Ps---- What is the difference of you say putting a sample in Cubase and just making the length you want and trimming off each end and then putting in yem, by using magnify..
Can you record a file in Cubase to loop and export as a loop file.?
I think that is where sample robot would come into play as that would put the loop info in. i not sure how that program works.
Maybe i could become  a ONE HIT WONDER ;D or a SINGLE SHOT!!! ::) or should be!! :P

Any tips appreciated on this subject.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:55:36 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
Dear John and Pino.
I suggested SampleRobot because οf the possibility of Auto Sampling, and Auto Looping. That way, we can make our sounds without having much knowledge about the very difficult art of Sampling & looping.
Now what you want to do my friend, is to do Sampling in a sound that comes from VST, then things are much easier, and that's because our sound is ready in terms of color, mixing, etc however i put always a Mastering Compressor with soft threshold and ratio, and a EQ on Master Out of Cubase thus making small corrections to the sound according to my tastes...
SampleRobot lets you choose the length of the note, the length of Looping, etc.
However, personally, when I want to do Sampling from VST, I never do it automatically, even if it has a lot of velocity layers, and that's because I want to be in control of everything (manually looping etc) ...
So, in this case I'm making my own Midi File (for example C, D, E, F, G, A, B) on Cubase 10.5, where depending on the instrument I'm going to Sampling varies depending on how you play the notes and I make Export note by note as wave 16bit/44khz.
For example, I would do a Sampling note by note, wherever you need it, (without the sharp notes), in order not to lose the realism of the real human voice.
If the instrument we wanted was a Synth sound then things are much simpler, and in some cases even a note per octave can work.
But when we talk about all kinds of acoustic instruments (Piano, Guitars, Strings, etc.), then things get quite complicated because much more Samples are required in order not to lose realism.
Finally, friend John, I didn't understand exactly what you were talking about at the end.
I wasn’t talking about Loop but about Looping, which is another art in itself.
All the instruments in Genos, for example, (except Drums) and all the workstation & arrangementrs have been looped where in this way we can keep the Sustain of the sound without requiring huge Rom / Ram space for each Sample. .
And this cannot be done in Cubase but with an Audio Editor e.g. WAVELAB, SOUND FORGE, but also with SampleRobot ...
Of course his real art of Sampling is the one that in a studio you record a real instrument like Guitar, Strings, woodwind instrument, Grand Piano, Drums, Percussion or anything else..
Each different instrument requires a different art in Sampling..
Each different instrument requires a completely different way looping...
For example, a Rhodes sound (like the video), because their harmonic frequencies are few and simple it's too easy the looping point...
However a sound like Grand Piano, Strings etc requires a completely different way looping depending change of the harmonic frequencies, phase and more...
I've been doing this for 20 years ...
I am attaching two of my own videos in which one is a small looping tutorial, and the other on how to make a Muti-Layer sound from the moment of course we already have the Samples ready.

My Tutorial SampleRobot 6 How to create a Multiple Velocity Soundfont (Import to YEM)
https://youtu.be/ZmKKLRIxUHk

My looping Tutorial

https://youtu.be/ZVka-fVN3Es

Pino

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Soraisins
I read your post with interest, eventhough I am happy with the samples I have done so far I am still a learner and will certainly be studying your videos.

John
Apart from a piano type or drums you wouldn’t need to record a voice over 127 keys, a Sax, violin or choir works best over an octave and a half - so you need to sample over 2 octaves and a bit max, try playing a saxophone high up, it’s just a squeak.

Just listened to Mr Bluesky, there’s 2 vocal bits there.

First, Mr Bluesky vocal like a synthesised voice
Why don’t you record a sample off the original song off the CD, clean it up, trim it save it as a wav, then either import it to your multipads YEM or record it directly into your keyboard and make a multi pad/WAV, it’s all in the manual or record your voice in ‘GarageBand’, they have that very effect there, wouldn’t take 5 minutes, save and load to Cubase or Genos.

The second vocal is longer, not difficult to make this voice in Genos, there are some vocals in the legacy folder, layer 2 vocals R1&2 and a synth vocal voice for R3,  balance and use the many FX on the keyboard, doesn’t have to be exactly as the record, you just need a good layered voice, add a phaser or chorus + a good reverb or some of the other excellent onboard FX.

Trying a few thing out is the best learning curve.

Pino

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi Sokratis

Big thankyou for taking your time out to explain the is and outs of sampling and i will certainly look at your video as i want to learn.
I may have to purchase Sample Robot which seems the best way to go.
Thanks again for the video's
Another thing Sokratis, which would be the Sample Robot you would choose for the beginner as there is an expensive £250 and a one that is half the price.
I am not interested in the samples supplied with sample Robot just the getting the job done.

All the Best

Hi Pino
 I already made the Mr blue Sky vocoder part and that sounds good to me
I cannot sing normally as i have not been blessed with a singing voice by the Gods above. I sound like a Foghorn.
On my song i have chosen an orchestration with choppy strings to get that Blue Sky bounce. THE HEY MR BLUE PART, I have cut all music and use a background orchestra and use a fairground type organ to get that  " hey there mr blue"  counter melody.
It will all come out in the wash once i sort this choir out with the mens voices the best i can. The female voices are just fine.
I tell you what Pino ,it is quite difficult at first playing the chords and singing Mr Blue Sky down the mic. Not easy vocoding. Took a few goes to get there.
I also have done going Loco In Acapulco and Free's My Brother Jake . They are sitting there to be mixed.

I will get the choir as i want  and then play through and just tidy on the Genos. later i will do some seroius tracking in Cubase.
I wanted to get this done on the Genos and to get the mix right ,then from the next couple of songs go vst and Genos.
Trying to take one giant step at a time.

So with the sampling you can then make your samples in wave or SF2 with sample robot.
I believe sample robot goes with the Montage. We are always one step away with the Genos.            " WAVE IT IS"!! ;D👋

All the Best
John

Offline robinez

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
i use samplerobot 6 pro all the time, it's so easy to create your own soundsets from vst's or hardware to the genos that way.

The process is rather easy:
- create your sound in the VST and save it as a preset
- open samplerobot 6 pro
- open the vst host in samplerobot 6
- select the vst of your choice (by selecting the vst dll)
- select your preset
- set the sample parameters to your liking
- sample it
- save it as a sound font

- Then open yem
- create a new package (or you can add the samples sound to an existing package)
- import the soundfont
- set the yem parameters to your liking (you need to set at least the ADSR and Filter settings to different values)
- transfer it to the genos
- done

I've done it for hundreds of my own sounds, including from vst, but also from hardware (like the virus TI, Roland JP8000, Kawai K5000s, Nordlead 4, etc). It works flawlessly

The only thing you have to think of is that the genos has not many sound design possibilities, so if you want special things in your sounds happening, then you need to do that before the sampling, so that that behavior is sampled also.

Here is an example where i use the sounds of the Alicia Keys Piano, a custom made piano for the release phase and two pads from the virus ti (which i also sampled now in a virus ti pack for my genos). The vocal is an audio multipad i created with omnisphere.

Above and Beyond - Small moments like these (cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kef2qOquHzI

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 08:41:37 PM »
Hi Robinez

I am almost sold on sample robot, but you have to get the £225 version
No shortcuts
Well, the money saved not spending with this covid lockdown, i think it is a good proposition.
It is a matter of getting those checkboxes correct and on you go.
It is not as bad as learning Cubase lol ;D
Nice setup and sound you have Above and Beyond

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:43:33 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 06:03:18 AM »
John
Apart from a piano type or drums you wouldn’t need to record a voice over 127 keys, a Sax, violin or choir works best over an octave and a half - so you need to sample over 2 octaves and a bit max, try playing a saxophone high up, it’s just a squeak.

You are right dear Pino..

Dear John..
Searching on Google i found it https://www.soundlib.com/samplit/
It's easy with cost $139 and we can to create our sampling as SF2.
Watch the tutorial video.
Best Regards
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:20:31 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Pino

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:18:24 AM »
Thanks for the link Sokratis,
This looks more up to date to me
I’m checking it out right now
Pino

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »
Hi Sokratis

I think Sample Robot has the edge on Samplit as you have more export options.
Samplit does look good and straight forward
What do you think Pino?? Are you going for one or the other??
Wave export is handy for pads to have and maybe for Halion Se in Cubase.
For me a beginner who wants to get into converting samples for the Genos , Velocity layering is tricky by the sound of it .
Sample Robot i think does this automatically. If you Sokratis did it manually ,how do you decide how many layers you need.
Just a silly question..
I am definitely going for this and i will wait to see what you will say next and make a decision.
Seeing that i am not getting any younger these days the auto way seems the best so we can get on with playing.

All the best
John :D   "Hey"!!!  " Here in the Uk   25 degrees at last. Summer is here for 5 minutes!! 8) ;D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »
Hi
I have been reading about Sample Robot 6.5 and it seems like the game changer we need .
The price is a little high, but if it does what it says  after being remade from the ground up, then this is the way to go.
Samplit looks sgood but the export options are not so good.
I await your input on this before taking the plunge.

All the Best

Offline panos

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 04:59:46 PM »
Hi John,
I don't know anything about creating voices from samples and stuff but maybe if you could record as wav. that part that you want with the male voices(on Cubase) and play it as an audio pad triggered at the right moment, would this saved you time to finish the song?

By the way as long as the song is called Mr "Blue" Sky, why are those girls are singing a variation of the beautiful.... "Red" Anthem  ;D
(I mean the anthem of the USSR)
There is a twist between two same notes the same way I think those two notes are twisted in the song "Go West" by Village People
(the youngest of us know the song from the beloved Pets Shop Boys's version).

Of course I don't want to prevent you for learning how to use YEM, just to point another way when things cannot be done directly by the usage of the keybed the easy way  :)

Pino

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
John,

The problem is you’ve heard the word ‘automatic’ and your taken in with that, believe me there is nothing automatic about sampling instruments, I’m not saying it’s rocket science, when you get your head around it you’ll think it’s easy but it’s not automatic and I’m not looking for automatic like sample a C2 and it is remapped all the way to C6. I will explain to you next post why automatic is not necessary or is workable with most instruments.

https://youtu.be/RJv8WPZBVy8   Sample Robot

I know your eager to get on with it so why don’t you download the FREE trial version of ‘samplit’ see how you get on,

I have a $15 app on my iPad Pro called ‘AudioLayer’ by Virsin , that does auto sampling and multi-velocity, I’m studying that at the moment and it looks like it will do everything I will need for my sampling purposes, I will know in the next few days whether this program work for me or not.

https://youtu.be/hcxBSIJgXG0   

Let’s hope that Soraisins or another member here will be able to list the pros and cons of each programme Sample Robot and Samplit.

Take care

Pino
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:51:05 PM by Pino »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
Hi Pino
The first video on sample robot required that guy had  to bridge connection on the earlier edition .
The new 6.5 does vst instruments and has been remade from ground up.
How can they state it can do the job 100% when it cannot.
This is what they say not me.
i have looked some videos and the end loop points may need to be adjusted for x fade. you can slide adjust to widen range or the other way maybe.
It is said it can do a very good job .
I am a little Apprehesive from a couple of things that i have read and will download the samplit to have  look
Can you do a full job in demo mode?? to see if it comes up to expectation.
I do hope Sokratis comes back and mabe tell us the pros and cons, because that could be the decider for me.
I do not want to shell out £225 for a white Elephant or even a pink one!! ;D ;D ;D

All the best
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:29:47 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 07:22:30 PM »
Hi Robinez
I have missed you there and thanks for your input.
I do like what you say and i think on your lines.
I have read that bugs were in earlier versions , but the new 6.5 version is supposed to be a miracle!! :) lol.
Maybe sometime you have to adjust the points where it loops as they say, but it seems quite straight forward.
I think from what i have seen so far is that velocity layering is the hard part if done manually.
Oh well, let see what the feedback is again.
The only way to find out is ask questions . some may be silly.

All the best
John :) :)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »
Hi Panos

The blue red sky does have similarities in the way choirs sing and i found a possible match with Sampletank 4.
This is why i was thinking about getting the sample accross to the Genos
I do hate Yamaha packs as they are a rip off in my view and their midi files are pretty naf in my opinion Basic for what the prices are.
Easysounds are more well advanced than Yamaha's efforts.
The thing that gets me is that Musicsoft sell Monumental choirs by De Kapro at £87 , but korgs app you can get for £9 if you have android or Apple
Also those Choirs sound ordinary with no fire in the singers . Forget the dubby doos !!
If i can lift the sounds from Sampletank and The likes of Arturia and Korg, who needs the Yamaha packs .
The program would pay for itself once you have a few successes.
I do think it is worth the learn curve
I know you can make pads , but you have to hit them always on the dot or you can get out of sync when live playing.
You can with samples put them on a split key on Genos and easier to reach in certain situations . It can give you more closer control.
Watching playoff football at the moment in uk and £70 up on a bet which can be put towards a treat 8)

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:10:33 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
Stumped again
Samplit and Samplerobot only does vst2 and all of mine are vst 3

Sausages to that then

Anyone rate Bliss auto sampler . supposed to sample vst 3

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:35:22 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »
Hi Again to All

I have just sampled a note from sampletank 4 from a choir . Just a C note
It plays great in Yem and also plays louder or as soft as you like  and reacts to how hard you plonk the key.
So if i sampled a couple of octaves  and save would that not be a great voice sample .
The note continues and a little release on the end sounds ok to me
What is your thoughts on that.

All the Best

Pino

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 04:19:05 AM »
Good morning John 😀
We’re on a different time zone.
Looks like you have been busy and had some success
There are programs around that can convert the format
Eg. AWave Studio and many more - Most programs I’ve seen support sf2

My only advise to you is carry on with trial and error.
When your stuck, look YouTube videos or the user manual
That’s what I do, slowly it will come together.👍
Not difficult if you have the time to persevere.
The effort will be well worth it. 🎺🎸🪕🎻🎷🍻

Good luck
Pino

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 06:47:21 AM »
Sorry for delaying my reply...
The SampleRobot I use it only as converter editor and not as Auto-Sampler..
I do not use never Auto-Sampler because  I want to have the control for all elements (velocity, length notes, how many notes, mix, mastering, edit, normalize, looping etc)...
However, I know that both programs are equally good at Auto-Sampling and export our sampling as SF2 (this is important) but the I think the ultimate software (auto-sampling, auto-looping, convert ect) is the SampleRobot...
The SAMPLIT work only as Auto Sampler, and not also as sample converter like SampleRobot because in this you can to import any samples and with very easy way you can to create and convert it as SF2, (and too many format)...
Dear John..
The Choir I think dont need multiple velocity (I tell you this for a start or for your test as beginner)
I would advise you the following:
Create a Midi file on Cubase with the same length notes (C, E, G, B) maybe two octaves or two and a half octaves for Choir.
Export the notes one by one as wav (stereo) 16bit/44khz.
Import the wav files not by notes on YEM, and its very important to found the suitable settings from envelope generator (Common/Sound/AEG)  Attack, Decay, Release or (Element 1/Amplitude for more advanced settings..
Of course, to have a very good result, need much more and different settings (filters, lfo, and more).
If you want sent me your samples in my email with Dropbox or SendSpace etc and I will prepare it for you as a sound ready for it YEM so that you have an idea of how a professional works on the same sound...
If you want send me message on imbox to send you my email.
Good luck and welcome to the club!!!  ;)....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:11:29 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline robinez

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
Stumped again
Samplit and Samplerobot only does vst2 and all of mine are vst 3

Sausages to that then

Anyone rate Bliss auto sampler . supposed to sample vst 3

All the best
John
as far as i know, all vst3 vstinstruments also have the option to install  the vst2 dll for that vstinstrument, you can use those for sampling programs. I have a lot of vst's that i use and they all work, ranging from all the Native instruments vst's, spectrasonics, Uhe, Vengeance, Roland suite, etc. It can all be used in the VST host of sample robot.

Regarding the new version, if you use the vst host you don't have to use a virtual midi driver to your vst (i use loopbe for that, and you don't have to use an audio return channel on your soundcard for sampling (not all soundcards supports that). So that's a huge advantage for the new version of samplerobot if you want to use it to sample your own vst sounds.

Regarding the 100 procent job. I had one sound where the autoloop function didn't work correctly and in samplerobot i had to manually change the loop points. But considering that i sampled hundreds (not exaggerating) of sounds, i think that you can safely say that it does everything automatically.

There is a learning curve of using the software, especially when you use offline bouncing of your vst sampling sound proces, but once you know how it works it's a matter of minutes to create a sampleproject for a new sound from your vst. For instance i sampled the alicia keys piano from native instruments for personal use in my genos, pa4x and kronos and it was just a matter of setting the number of velocity layers (i used 4 layers for that sound), the keyboard range, and the length of the samples. Then you press the sample button and the sound is offline sampled to your project, it goes much faster then in realtime because it supports offline bouncing).
Then comes the big advantage, you have a samplerobot project and you can export it to lot's of destinations, so i export it to a soundfont for the Genos and KMP files for the Korg Pa4x and the Korg Kronos and even a NI Kontakt export. So with just one samplerobot session i created the material for three synths and NI Kontakt.

I highly recommend it.

Pino

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »
John
I told you not finish that bottle of whisky 🥃😀

Ok, I know, you were up all night last night sampling.

Hope your on your way now 👍

Pino

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 04:20:37 PM »
Hi
I have been doing what Sokratis has been saying to me , and i recorded an octave and a couple of extra notes to cover what i want in my wanted  range
I put the C sample on C and stretched it out just before E then put E sample in and so on but getting it to sound right was as a pain at first .
I had to keep shifting the orignal key to line things up to the scale. A bit fiddly that. Shifting up goes down and vice versa. A little confusing at first.
It is an octave to what i want , but i suppose after saving to pack i can shift it down one.
I got in a pickle , but can see the light a little. now. Yem is not ideal to work with. ZX Spectrum had a better interface!!LOl ;D
One step at a time he says!! ;D
Well Robinez i am at the starting post still!! yet to throw a six on the dice 8) ;D
Hi Pino
I would like to sample a few Swedish Blonds!! ;D and a couple of Glenlivet's. That would be off the scale!! B flat!! ::) :P

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 04:23:49 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »
Hi Robinez
I downloaded Samplerobot trial and folowed all instructions which took me a couple of hours to get right
I managed to get a SF2 file .
I could only get limited values like mono and so much this or that
The recording is very good for mono and is just a little distorted
Is that because of the trial restrictions?
Other wise a small success
I got the vst 2 dlls and if i do this in stereo ,will i get a better more less distorted sound.
I would say grainy rather than distorted really.
That is the progress  so far
I may go for Samplerobot yet once i am sure that stereo samples will be better after restrictions lifted of trial version.
It saved messing about too much with original key and trying to grab those tiny dots.
Unbelievable as it does play on my Genos.
Do you think in the future Samplerobot will do vst3?? and catch up.
Samplit imports SF2 files , but only exports SFZ or other formats.
Disco Bliss is the same. It samples vst 3 , but the exporting formats are no good for Genos owners.
I now think with some practice and finer adjustments the sky is the limit
I tried out the mono sample with some Genos girls i manipulated and it is surprisingly a good sound as the slight graininess gets hidden  with a slight touch of reverb.
Ok it is not perfect but it is in the ballpark.
I hope Sokratis is wrong in saying it will take 20 years to even get experienced at sampling.
I might be a gonna by then!!! ::) :P

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:14:39 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 06:43:24 AM »
I hope Sokratis is wrong in saying it will take 20 years to even get experienced at sampling.
I might be a gonna by then!!! ::) :P
Hahaha ;D ;D ;D No my friend...
The basic knowledge are not difficult...
The hard part is when you do it professionally and record real instruments and not VST...
Like this (from my sampling session Santuri Intrument) few years ago) https://www.dropbox.com/home/Images/Studios/Sierra%20Studios?preview=DSCN1308.AVI
Or this (Farfisa Deluxe) https://www.facebook.com/sokratis.kavlentakis/videos/vb.100001496682955/1250671284992749/?type=3
Or here (sound check Bouzouki) https://www.facebook.com/sokratis.kavlentakis/videos/vb.100001496682955/809855995740949/?type=3
Or here https://www.facebook.com/sokratis.kavlentakis/videos/vb.100001496682955/688630724530144/?type=3
And too more.....

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:57:22 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi Sokratis
Must be a long boring job sampling real instruments and all of their nuances. Nice big studios though.
The reward must be the finished job and seeing how the hard work has paid off.
I am still wondering about the  quality of the sample idid and hope it was due to sampling a stereo sample in mono restriction on Samplerobot and a couple of other restrictions.
I need to get a true picture
I would like to go this way for now so as i get get on with playing.
If Robinez says you will get better with the full paid version i will go for samplerobot without a dout as it does not take long to get samples from VST.
For me it would be nice to play the Genos with contained vst inside Genos to play on the fly and do the seroius work in Cubase combined with Genos.
I am not a fan of Genos packs and Easysounds do a sterling job at half the price.
I am not a choir fan either but one of my favourte songs has one in there and i do not want a choir that sounds like Christmas as in the Yamaha packs.
I am bewildered that Yamaha bends toward Schlager music which my dad loved especially oompah. "Must be because he liked the beer and the knees up"!! ;D.
I did like the unique voice of Demis Roussos though
Nothing wrong with cultural music, but us Rolling Stone , Focus , Santana,soul, stax ,Atlantic, Ska, reggae and prog rog fans are forgotten.
Now it is EDM which i persoanaly find boring like a kids wind up toy.
I suppose us Baby Boomers will have to find our own way..
Massive thanks for all of your help  and may need to speak to you again.
If i could send the samples to you. I would be honoured if you have the time , but i will have to join Dropbox.

ALL THE BEST
JOHN

Offline robinez

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
Hi Robinez
I downloaded Samplerobot trial and folowed all instructions which took me a couple of hours to get right
I managed to get a SF2 file .
I could only get limited values like mono and so much this or that
The recording is very good for mono and is just a little distorted
Is that because of the trial restrictions?
Other wise a small success
I got the vst 2 dlls and if i do this in stereo ,will i get a better more less distorted sound.
I would say grainy rather than distorted really.

i have no experience with the trial, but i doubt that it will only sample in mono. The grainy sound is probably a side effect of using the trial which probably will sample with a lower bitrate (guessing).

In the full version that i use the sound is exactly the same as using the vst itself. There is no grainy or distorted sound and in my case everything is stereo when sampled. It's a perfect copy of the original.

considering your remark about getting experienced in XX years. There is a huge difference sampling digital sounds versus analog sounds (like real guitars, flutes, etc). If you only want to sample synths or vst's i think that with some help and tips and tricks the learning curve is about two weeks (with lots of test projects) to master the ins and outs of samplerobot (which does the complex tasks for you). When sampling analog sounds like a real guitar then it's a totally different game, it will take a lot of experience to get good results with that. But 'cloning' vst sounds or synth presets is very easy to do and learn with modern programs like samplerobot.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »
Hi Robinez
I purchased the full version yesterday and spent last night with one success and three failures

One being that i thought i set all to instructions only to find i could not save as a box appeared saying  NOTE LENGTH EQUAL TO 0 for just two notes in the auto sample that i did. I wondered when i put 2 in the release check box it lengthened the sample  more that 8 secs which i asked for.
It went ok when i left that at 0.
The other strange anomally was that my first two goes the sample was a semi-tone out to my Genos and that maybe because i did not have vst checked.(i bungled).
Sokaris as offered to help me a little and will send some samples when i get a good run.
Thanks for coming back Robinez.

All the best
John
  ps, the weather here in UK is hotter than **** today!! ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:23:33 PM by ugawoga »

Offline robinez

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2020, 10:59:44 PM »
Hi Robinez
I purchased the full version yesterday and spent last night with one success and three failures

One being that i thought i set all to instructions only to find i could not save as a box appeared saying  NOTE LENGTH EQUAL TO 0 for just two notes in the auto sample that i did. I wondered when i put 2 in the release check box it lengthened the sample  more that 8 secs which i asked for.
It went ok when i left that at 0.
The other strange anomally was that my first two goes the sample was a semi-tone out to my Genos and that maybe because i did not have vst checked.(i bungled).
when running the project wizard you have to set the note length to the sample length you want to create, the release value should be 0, because you are going to modify the release in the samples in the yem explorer later.

The semitone is probably because you sampled your project in 48 khz, don't do that, do your sample work in 44.1 khz, stereo, 16 bit.

If you want i could give you a workshop online to show you how to do it and get it in the genos. I can also show you some examples of how my genos sounds right now with all my own expansions, so you can get a picture of what's possible once you know how to do it, i'm sure that you would be amazed of whats possible once you know the special tricks in the genos combined with your own samples. I'm in a dutch facebook group where every tuesday we give these kind of online workshops ranging from easy to advanced techniques for the members. So my studio is completely suited with multiple cams and every synth and workstation is digitally connected to the online video platform.

If you want that just sent me a private message and i will give you some time options and the link of the online webinar room we can use. I think it would help you tremendously and will save you a lot of time discovering the process yourself. Of course this will be free of charge (no hidden agenda, just want to help you with this.)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:03:04 PM by robinez »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »
Hi Robinez
Thanks for the offer .
I have sent message
I am always open to any help

All the best

Offline alka

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
You are right dear Pino..

Dear John..
Searching on Google i found it https://www.soundlib.com/samplit/
It's easy with cost $139 and we can to create our sampling as SF2.
Watch the tutorial video.
Best Regards
I bought Samplit 2 from jrrshop.com(plugivery.com), they sent me serial(activation) key and link to soundlib.com, for download full samplit 2 installation file. But samplit.com not receive me password to login. support@samplit.com not responsible for anything >:( >:( >:( >:( 

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Hi
I am always a believer in you get what you pay for and Sample Robot fits the bill.
I have not used sample Robot for a couple of weeks now as i am finishing off some songs. In mix mode and nearly done
I will get back in touch with Robinez and Sokratis when i have completed my task.
What i have done and the help that i had, Sample Robot is tops for me. Thanks to Sokratis and Robinez.
When purchasing music software , go to a reputable outlet like Thomann or straight to the makers of the software on their site and buy the download..
If you paid through pay Pal , you can put a dispute in , the same with Ebay.

Hope you get sorted Alka

All the best
John  :)

Pino

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 02:08:08 AM »
John, it’s great that you have found an app that works for you, but, ”Audio Layer” for the iPad is also an excellent app for sampling new voices for our keyboards and it’s just $15

"AudioLayer is a full featured open standard audio multi-sampler pushing the boundaries beyond what has been available even on the desktop music production world."

Pino

The following users thanked this post: wersianer