Author Topic: Big hi from John  (Read 2485 times)

Offline ugawoga

Big hi from John
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
hi
I will lay out my learning curve
After spending some time mixing  and failing ,the realization has come with a surprise.
I now have found out that the sounds on the Genos plus Vst do not need a lot of manipulating to get in the ballpark
I just spent so long on trying to get things right only to hear a very clear recording ,but sounding at the bottom of a barrel or encased in a boom chamber even when not applying effects.
I tried out Ozone and neutron for the first time and not a great success.
When i gainstaged myself and went from there it was better.
Using Sonarworks also gives you a false sense of everything going well.
When rendering a final mix you have to turn Sonarworks off and that makes a big difference in what you hear.
So it is back to basic Genos and comparing a studio recording.
I have come to a conclusion that the Genos is almost a radio ready job  and only needs slight touches.
I have to get the Genos sounds right first and then the hard work is nearly over.
Now i realise you have to get used to mixing with headphones and monitors and your room.
All what i have learnt so far is beginning to sink in.
Small moves and leave alone if all ok
For all Genos owners , get used to manipulating your songs in the effect department and voice construction as there is a multitude of sounds that sitting in there that is unbelievable. All it needs is experimentation, failing and failing ,then bam you get there.
I find the choirs useless with doo be doo's which sound so childish and NAF!!
Yem is the answer and a combination of layering and effects can save the day.
There is so much to cram in the Noddle that it will be a frustration at times.
Yes ,i find playing a song the easy part, it is the other bits that get me.
There must be others that are like me . SO Near ,But So far!!! LOL!! ;D
I am purposely not putting out songs at the moment as i want to dig a little deeper
I will be 70 next March and that is my deadline  for my dreams

All the best
John  or Honest John!!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:16:58 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

Re: Big hi from John
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
Yes ,i find playing a song the easy part, it is the other bits that get me.
Mmmm - I think that depends on who you are, what you are trying to achieve and your musical ability. I seldom listen to recordings on the forum where I think, that is very well arranged and impressively played but they needed to pay more attention to effects, sound, mixing etc etc.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »
Hi M8
You can say what you want , but to share and understand is the key.
All of us need a little compassion!! :)

All the best
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »
Mixing and Mastering ( Ozone )
Is a very different ball game.
There's a lot that's involved
EQ, Compression, Limiting, Panning, Volume control and more

Mixing sees to the overall balance using the options above,
On the DAW it comes to individual Tracks ( Instruments)

Mastering ( Ozone )
The overall track is Balanced , EQ , Limited , Compression.

I've used Ozone for a while now.
Hope this helps you.
Regards Norman!
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Pino

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
Followed your posts over the months, not sure why you went the Genos way to produce music, I’ve been In  this business many years, there are so many other ways of recording top notch music without an arranger keyboard, a good controller and everything else that’s available is the way to go.

Genos is perfect for live music playing, it’s all in the mixing and balancing of what’s on the keyboards and also making your own voices is now very easy now that we have enough memory on our keyboards.

Yamaha arranger keyboards would be my last choice as a record producer, hows about a Roland Fantom as a starting block or a good controller with aftertouch + all the sounds that available now.

If things don’t work out by next March then give it another 12 or 24 months to see how it goes, it’s nice to have a dream, it’s a good reason to get up in the morning.😀😎😀

Pino
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:50:23 PM by Pino »

Pino

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
John, is the stress getting to you.
please tell us who M8 is,
is she pretty? 🤔 😀

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
John, is the stress getting to you.
please tell us who M8 is,
is she pretty? 🤔 😀

I think M8 is really pretty  ;)
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 12:57:30 AM »
Hi Pino

M8 is short for MATE.   get it!!  Probably mobile phone language!!

Maybe English humour or a saying in modern terms.
I am not in stress just, just have ruffled feathers ,but willing to conquer at all odds  like a Greek God!! :D
The reason going Genos way is to play the keyboard and gradually get used to the Vst side.
The practice will do  me good as i had started late in life. It is all  uphill and taking longer than someone who started when they were young.
 I will not play live, but the more practice i have ,it will make recording a lot easier than someone who plays edm with samples pressing fancy coloured lights to a tune of a kids wind up toy.
I am nearly where i want to be and in the coming six months i hope to prove that.
The thing is , it is fun learning.

All the best
john
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:22:19 AM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 01:14:03 AM »
Hi Norman
I realize my mistakes with Neutron and ozone.
My first attempt balancing and eq-ing and sculpting was not fantastic as i over done certain things.
I am getting used to it and taking one step at a time.
I am ok with the Eq side , but getting used to sonarworks and rendering without Sonarworks got me into a pickle.
I realize now to carefully listen to my headphones and monitors and reference tracks to stay on the road and not to over do things.
The penny is slowly dropping.
Once i get a succsess with this ,i will be on my way.
Well Pino The Genos is a minefield and deliving deeper into those sounds is ubelievable at  what can be achieved.
Layering those sounds in Yem is great.
We need a mix and mastering section in Psr Tutorial and everyone to share experiences. Would be great.
That would have Abbey Road  worried!! 8)

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:21:33 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 04:36:19 AM »
John,

With all the trial and error, I think you can now appreciate Yamaha's results with their styles. Which are professionally produced.  I think there are techniques to be learnt. Trying to learn how to MIX on our own is very time consuming and sometimes frustrating.

But is satisfying when the "light goes on" and we get an insight.

Good luck with all your efforts. We are never too old to learn new ideas and new ways of doing things.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:37:31 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Pino

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 04:49:48 AM »
John (M8)😂

You made a decision a long time ago that you wanted to produce your own music as a hobby and that is what you will do, you now what you want as an end product, the learning curve will take some time but you will get there, I can feel the determination in your posts,
it’s a good interesting hobby,
Good luck. 😀

Pino

Offline jugge

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
I think that most of sounds in Genos already sounds good as they are and don't need so much more effects to fit in a mix. 
The only effects I commonly use when doing mixdown to audio is an EQ and a small amount of reverb as a send effect.
Then a limiter or maximizer and sometimes a compressor for the final master.
I recently stared to play around with Fabfilters Pro Q3 equalizer which seams to be one of the most preferred EQs out there and I really enjoyed it. So easy to use.

Cheers
/Jugge
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »
Hi Jugge
I am getting there the hard way!! ::) :P :)
It is sinking in ,but it has to get through a few layers first!! ;D

All the best
John :)