Author Topic: Should I Upgrade to Genos?  (Read 7444 times)

Offline johnzutzbg

Should I Upgrade to Genos?
« on: June 16, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Should I upgrade to the Yamaha Genos, or should I wait until the next one comes out? Does anyone know the timeline?

I bought a Tyros 2, in 2006, and a Tyros 5, in December 2015.

I am trying to sell the Tyros 2 right now.

Thanks for your input.

John

Offline Toril S

Re: Should I Upgrade to Genos?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 04:26:39 PM »
Hello John. I upgraded from a T5 to a Genos, and do not regret it. But I still have my T5.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Nobody outside Yamaha has a clue if they are about to spring Genos 2 (hardware) or if they will continue to go down the Genos 2.x (firmware) route. And even less clue about the timescales!

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
Hello John. I upgraded from a T5 to a Genos, and do not regret it. But I still have my T5.

I guess I would hate to invest in the GENOS if another one comes out next year.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 05:49:30 PM »
If the T5 works fine you could wait for Genos 2. But only Ysmaha knows when it will come, corona and all!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline PWB

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
I upgraded from a PSR 970 to a Genos. The sound of the Genos was of course better, which I expected, but the biggest difference for me was the touch screen interface which makes it so much easier to use. It is a real step up.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 08:00:00 PM »
For me the trigger was when the V2.0 firmware came out, because I thought that meant it was likely there would be no hardware change in the short term. Just guesswork though! And only you can decide how much a new model appearing after you've bought is going to bother you.
Genos

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »
For me the trigger was when the V2.0 firmware came out, because I thought that meant it was likely there would be no hardware change in the short term. Just guesswork though! And only you can decide how much a new model appearing after you've bought is going to bother you.

I would be bothered if I purchased it in July and a new one was announced in Sept 2020. If a new one wasn't announced till 2022-23 at the earliest...I think I would be fine.

I also realize that the GENOS may come down in price later on...

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 09:27:40 PM »
To consider: you will always pay 'way too much' for these (digital) devices. Financially always a very bad investment, you always lose money on it, clear! Better focus on buying the fun now, not later! That investment always yields something, namely the pleasure of playing on your keyboard!
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »
I think a Genos 2 is a long way off at the moment and just think of the fun you could be having now.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 11:12:35 PM »
I agree. It will always be like that with electrical gadgets, you buy the best iPhone, and 3 months later along comes another one, even better. The risk of buying a keyboard just before a new model is released is there, I have done it, but better have some fun now than waiting. Because of the corona situation I think a lot of things will be set on hold, so I don't think we will see a new Genos any time soon. But there may be some more updates on the old one.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 02:51:13 AM »
If money is not a major issue . . . i would upgrade now to Genos.  Who knows when the Genos 2 will come out.

Seelling the T2 now and later the T5, should offset some of the Genos cost.   Another strategy would be to purchase a gently used Genos . . . ..

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 02:53:44 AM »
I also don’t think a new Genos is anywhere in the near future, but remember the current one does not suddenly get worse because a new one is announced, it’s still the same keyboard you thought worth the upgrade.
Mike

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 05:52:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input! I think I will be getting the Genos soon. I just need Sweetwater to do 36 month interest free financing again :).

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
Mmm ...don't understand me wrong, but I have reservations about purchasing a keyboard through borrowing money through financing. It always costs you extra money. Wouldn't it be better to buy a keyboard what you can afford or use the one you have? Play on it, practice on it and put that money you have to pay to the dealer (and the loaning Company) in a savings account every month. You can then use the money saved there by buying the keyboard of your dreams in due time. Usually, over time they are also for sale second-hand at much less money than a new one. You should not think that after 2 years you want to get rid of your contract or keyboard. That will cost you an 'asset' (breach of contract).
Just my 2 (own) cents ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
John

I made the switch in November from the Tyros 5 to the Genos. As stated above the sounds are superior, but for me the interface is  what made me make the switch.
I am not sure where you are from, but if you are in the States shop around, because I was able to get a fantastic deal on mine with the stand on speakers under $4500. And I sold the Tyros 5 to a friend for $2000.

Rick D.

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 02:27:14 PM »
Ton - I am sure you mean well but that is a pretty extreme view of modern credit control. While some people may let these things get out of control, this is not a forum for financial advice, and people are mature enough to make their own decisions as to what and how they can afford keyboards.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »
Nevertheless it is sound advice!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »
All hobbies cost money ether by buying add on's or paying fees even playing bingo.
With that in mind I work out the difference between what I paid for it new and in three years what the part exchange price is. I then work out what it has cost me a week over the three years which is about £10. I consider this very good for all the enjoyment and fun I have had. Better still if you have a few paid gigs.

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »
Nevertheless it is sound advice!
No Toril- it is not. Like all financial advice it is useless without knowing someone's full financial circumstances, and this is not the place for that. Money is one the cheapest commodities out there at the moment, zero bank rates in some circumstances. Even someone with tons of cash might opt to use someone else's money ie the bank, the bank's money if it is cheap or even free. Everyone - businesses, government, individuals and even millionaires use credit and that is what drives our economy. It is a good thing as long as you can comfortably service the debt. But like I say this is not a financial advice forum. 
Mike

Offline JohnS

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 04:47:10 PM »
The upgrade is a huge expense.
I've just checked, and to trade in my Tyros 5/76 (with speakers) for a Genos will cost me £2,898!
The Tyros 5 is a superb keyboard, and costs me nothing to keep, so, the decision made itself.
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 05:17:17 PM »
Hi @Mikf, you're right, I have to assume that forummers are adult consumers, who knows the consequences of their choices. In this case, to my former post, I was concerned if I didn't explained my former statement. Maybe too much emphasize my concern in this particulat case. Indeed it is a PsrTutorial forum, where the joy and knowledge is shared of our keyboards ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »
The upgrade is a huge expense.
I've just checked, and to trade in my Tyros 5/76 (with speakers) for a Genos will cost me £2,898!
The Tyros 5 is a superb keyboard, and costs me nothing to keep, so, the decision made itself.

Good grief. You can buy a Genos on its own for around £2898, at least in the US.

I'm assuming the price is when doing a "part exchange"; you're probably better off selling the T5 on your own.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »
When I bought the Tyros 2 (from a local music store) and the Tyros 5 from Sweetwater, they were both no interest if paid off in X months. I always paid more than the minimum payment and would pay it off before the X amount of months was up.

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Is there a company in the USA that would trade my Tyros 5 and credit me for a GENOS?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 07:41:41 PM »
OK Mike, we all solve our financial situations in different ways, being grown ups and all :) 
As for part exchange, that is almost nonexistant here. Music stores usually say no to taking in used instruments. But there are exeptions, because that is how I got my T5. However, they are not so keen on taking it back for a second time, it is now 7 years old, so I really understand that. I asked for part excahge on my 975, and they didn't say no, but I will get only half the price I payed for it, so if I decide to sell it I will do it privately.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Denn

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
Hello, I bought my SX900 for  ridiculous low price. Played it, sorted it, added packs to it and it now sits in my room quiet whilst I play my Tyros4. The poke screen is nothing to write home about as all the blocks are too small for finger poking. Stick with your T5. "They" say the sounds are better - sounds are a matter of opinion. I much prefer the sounds of my Tyros than that of the SX900. I know that you are considering a Genos but look how many there are for sale used and what are you going to do if you think you have made a mistake?
Just my opinion.
Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline EileenL

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
For me personally Genos is the best keyboard Yamaha have ever produced. I also have the SX 900 and like the way I can load in my old registrations from my Tyros 5 and they really sound good plus the styles. If you use a mobile phone touch screen you will be able to use the SX900 screen with no problem. It works very very well as dose the one on Genos. As always it all depends on the individual and trying the product first. Let us not scare people off of trying these things with negative comments about products.
We all know that if you are able to shop around you will usually come up with a price that suits us. 

andy_v

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »
I know it's not really on-topic, but I struggle to understand why anyone ever goes in for those part exchange deals, when you can recoup so much more money by selling your old keyboard yourself on ebay or gumtree or wherever!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
Agreed. But my store agreed to part exchange a Genos for a Tyros 5, and guess who purchased that T5😀😀 The price was very reasonable.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 08:31:24 PM »
For me I always get an excellent price from my shop that I have dealt with for years so it is not worth the bother of selling privately with all that entails.

Offline mikf

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 11:34:34 PM »
I know it's not really on-topic, but I struggle to understand why anyone ever goes in for those part exchange deals, when you can recoup so much more money by selling your old keyboard yourself on ebay or gumtree or wherever!
Same as everything else, it’s  how you value the potential hassle, time and risk vs the money saved. A few hundred or even a few thousand dollars has different value to different people.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »

Same reason we trade in a car when we buy a new one. Yes, you don't get as much value from the trade-in as you would selling it on your own, but you don't have the hassle, or the security concerns. And to many people, those benefits are worth the difference in price.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 01:11:42 AM »
Fred - It’s not just hassle. A financial advisor told me a story about one of his elderly but wealthy clients who boasted to him that he travelled a lot but always flew coach, never first class, and hadn’t changed his trusty ford pick up in ten years. So what will you do with all the money you are saving he asked. After a moments hesitation the client said , I will be able to leave more to my kids. That’s great the financial advisor said, you will spend the last years of your life driving an old car and sitting in the back of the plane so that when you die your kids can buy a Ferrari and sit in the front of the plane. He bought a new Merc the next week and never bought coach class tickets again.
We can’t take it with us😋
Mike

blackpool

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »
Fully agree!! 
Wealth has a saturation point .....for how we can enjoy it

We spend our life working and building wealth
Our retirement stupidly protecting it
Our death wasting it for others to use

Human senses are unchanged by wealth .. everything, tastes, smells, sounds and looks the same...No matter how much money we have Its just the situation we experience these things in which changes this,

I am not wealthy ...but have and enjoy now what I want within reason ....Pity it has taken me over 60 years to realise just how crazy i have been...

So my moto is 'Treat yourself' and enjoy life while you can ...we might not be around tomorrow!

Keith

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
You are so right Keith as I say there are no pockets in shrouds.

blackpool

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks Eileen ...yes ...I got rid of loads of stuff ....the more you own, the more it owns you, having to worry and care about it.
I have a very simple life now but have everything I want. Ok I dont own a R.Royce ...but would not want to.

If you can afford it .....go for it ....I do like a good deal and dont waste money, but like you, I have most new yamahas, when they come out and do like to swap and change.

Keith

Offline mikf

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
One of my favorite lines ever came from an American comedian who said that money can't buy you happiness but he'd much rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. ;D
Boy did we get off topic!!
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »
Not really that far off topic. The question of should I upgrade to a newer keyboard model when the old one is working fine comes to us all. I do agree with the others who stated that we live today, but know nothing about tomorrow. So why not enjoy the moment and have the fun while we can?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head Toryl.

Offline ton37

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
Not really that far off topic. The question of should I upgrade to a newer keyboard model when the old one is working fine comes to us all. I do agree with the others who stated that we live today, but know nothing about tomorrow. So why not enjoy the moment and have the fun while we can?
Right Toril, like a saying: "Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow'  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 04:05:38 PM »
My wife always says that a great life is really an amalgam of great memories. You create these highlights along the way and store them for the rest of your life. And even better if you shared most of them with someone you love and can then re- live them simply sitting together by the fire. This is what makes reminiscing such a happy time and why the various forms of Dementia maybe the worst disease of all, because it can deprive you of your whole life of memories.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »
So true Mike!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »
I think I'll just stick with my trusty, very old, S-950. It has served me quite well since I've owned it, helped me produce sufficient income to support my family as an entertainer, and while I could easily afford a new Genus, I know what's in store for me in the very near future. If I'm very fortunate, I will live to see my 58th wedding anniversary, and if I make it till October, I will have reached my 80th birthday. Don't think I'll make it much beyond that, though. The pulmonary fibrosis is taking its toll.

The only reason, IMO, to update, is a huge increase in sound quality. That's why I updated from the PSR-3000 to the S-950 - there was a huge improvement in the way the styles and voices sounded. At the time, I still had sufficient lung capacity to belt out some quality vocals, that were enhanced by the newer sounding styles on the S-950. My audiences also noticed the difference as well.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline Toril S

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »
Gary, I hope you are wrong about the lenght of your life! As for the S950, it has served you well and has become a treassured item❤️ I will never sell my 2100, but the S975 has better sound most of the time😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
Purchased the GENOS yesterday....Sweetwater gave me a GREAT deal I couldn't pass up during their GearFest Sale!

Offline hans1966

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »
Purchased the GENOS yesterday....Sweetwater gave me a GREAT deal I couldn't pass up during their GearFest Sale!

Hi Jhon, congratulations on your new baby!
You will have tons of hours of fun. Regards. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"