Author Topic: Changing , then saving a midi file  (Read 5618 times)

Offline winternotes

Changing , then saving a midi file
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:27:22 AM »
I have never been able to figure out how to change and save a midi file. The manuels just do not explain:
OK
I have a midi file that is in the key of G. I am not sure how I even determined that. My singer needs it in the key of A and I need to play it using the key of C. Complicated enough? I know how to use the transpose up two steps to get the file to "A". However, I have never been able to save that file. And on top of that, I want to play it using the key of "C".
Make my life easier !!
Thanks in advance
Bob
Having fun in retirement

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Changing , then saving a midi file
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:59:07 AM »
I have never been able to figure out how to change and save a midi file. The manuels just do not explain:
OK
I have a midi file that is in the key of G. I am not sure how I even determined that. My singer needs it in the key of A and I need to play it using the key of C. Complicated enough? I know how to use the transpose up two steps to get the file to "A". However, I have never been able to save that file. And on top of that, I want to play it using the key of "C".
Make my life easier !!

I don’t know how to save the revised song either, but why bother? Just make the required transpositions on the keyboard.

Set transposition assign to keyboard
Transpose down 7
Set transposition assign to Song
Transpose up 2

Now save this in a registration, and you never have to do it again.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline gary3917

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:41 PM »
I still do not know how to save the entire song with it transposed  from F sharp and save it to transpose to C chord ...it will change it to C  and I can play it but it will not save it to C ...it will not keep the changes .
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline Misu

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
I'm really don't remember if the transposition works directly on Keyboard but for any kind of changes for midi you must to be in SONG RECORD first and there is the save option.
You can choose a software way using free Mix Master and transpose everything except Drum tracks.
Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline repetedj

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:43:41 PM »
Load midi file into the keyboard.
Transpose to the key you want by pressing the transpose button on the KB.
Write down the number it was transposed to (Ex. +3 or +4 or -2 or -5)
IMPORTANT: Reset the transpose number back to zero before proceeding.
Go into Song Creator.
Tab over to the Channel tab
Scroll down to Channel Transpose
Press the ch 9-16 button (on the right)
Press and hold the All Channel button
While holing the All Channel button, Press one of the bottons near the slider then number of times until you get the same number it was transposed to (Ex. +3 or +4 or -2 or -5)
Release the All Channel button.
Press the button under the channel 10 and set just this one channel back to 0(zero).
Press the Execute button.
Press the Save button.
(rename the song if you want to)
Press ok.
The above will save the song transposed in the key you want.
It's important to reset the transpose number number back to zero before going into Song Creator.

Usually Channel 10 is the drum track. You do not want to transpose the drum track.

The following users thanked this post: gary3917, wersianer

Offline gary3917

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 05:56:42 PM »
Thank you ...Thank you... repetedj .You are the best
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5

Offline gary3917

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 05:57:22 PM »
Thank you ...Thank you... repetedj .You are the best

Offline gary3917

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »
Hi you all ,
You have answered how to save a midi song file transposed to another key.....but how to save the chord change and show it in the score sheet too so that the chord changes need to change also ?
The strange thing is when I do normaly transpose b4 I save it, it does show the correct change chord change .
The original midi file does have the chords and note embeded in the midi file but I can not figure how to save it with the correct chords that I have transposed to .
Thanx for your help
Gary

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 08:23:16 AM »
... You have answered how to save a midi song file transposed to another key.....but how to save the chord change and show it in the score sheet too so that the chord changes need to change also ?
The strange thing is when I do normaly transpose b4 I save it, it does show the correct change chord change .
The original midi file does have the chords and note embeded in the midi file but I can not figure how to save it with the correct chords that I have transposed to . ...

Hi Gary,

the chords can be embedded in a MIDI file. In contrast, the notes shown in the Score display are always generated in real time from the same midi note data that are used to generate the sound. Some MIDI files contain a separate MIDI Channel to be used exclusively for the Score display. But there is no special "embedded note data" (similar to XF Chord events or SysEx Chord events) that would be used for the Score display.

When you transpose a MIDI file in Song Creator, make sure that Transpose value "SONG" in the Mixing Console (tab "Tune") is set to zero. Then the transposed song should sound correctly and the Score should be displayed correctly.

Note: Unfortunately, the embedded CHORDS are never transposed when you transpose a MIDI song in Song Creator on a Tyros keyboard.

But there is an easy solution: I recommend to use the PC (Windows) program "PSRUTI" to transpose your MIDI files. The embedded chords are also automatically transposed here. (See the attached picture and follow the numbers. :) )
>>> https://heikoplate.de/psruti.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:12:37 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline gary3917

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
thank you so much Chris . I guess that explains it .I find it strange that when you only change the key from A to the another key of my choice of C.... (B4 I save it to the new changed midi file ) it changes the score part from A to C but not the score part when I save the midi song ....Weird