Author Topic: Sending/receiving intro ending fill data possible??  (Read 3338 times)

madoues

Sending/receiving intro ending fill data possible??
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:10 PM »
Hi,

I am fairly new to PSR keyboards and I have installed a PSR-910 in my studio and am trying to get it working with a DAW (Sonar). Specifically, I would like to control the PSR accompaniment from the computer program; start, stop, intros, endings, fills, etc.

As of now, I can control the accompaniment to start to the correct notes, but I must set sync start manually on the PSR for this to work. However, I would like it to start with an intro instead of regular acconpaniment. Is there a way to do this? Are intros, endings and fills controllable remotely. If yes, is it controlled by sysex or program change or other midi data?

Your insight will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Online ckobu

Re: Sending/receiving intro ending fill data possible??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:18:10 AM »
In Sonar you can record all the parts you play on PSR. Watch the video in which there is the whole procedure. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask.

https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI
Watch my video channel

madoues

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 12:51:34 AM »
In Sonar you can record all the parts you play on PSR. Watch the video in which there is the whole procedure. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask.

https://youtu.be/vjqUzC4DqnI

Thanks for your reply. ckobu.

The video is pretty clear on how to record the notes coming from the Genos(PSR) and then play them back.
However, this is different from what I am trying to do, which is record the intro, ending, fills buttons, not the notes themselves. I don't know how else to describe it.

This way it woud be possible to control the song structure right from the DAW and not have to go to the keyboard.
Also, is there a way to choose the style direct from the computer DAW? This question goes in the same direction, i.e. having the computer control the PSR as much as possible without going back to the keyboard.

My keyboard is not placed where my DAW is, so the going back and forth slows things down when working on a song.

Dan

madoues

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:47:28 AM »
Guess I will be answering my own question.

Yes it is possible.

Styles and chord types are sent via syxex. I found the information in the PSRs Data List book, page 77.

I haven't got it working 100% yet, but the PSR responds to SONAR's sysex style and chord messages.
Sonar wasn't set to receive sysex messages and the PSR wasn't set to send any either, so I was stuck both ways.

Quite a beast those PSR keyboards.

Cheers,
Dan

Online ckobu

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
It is now clearer to me what you want to do. Want to process styles on DAW and then reuse them in PSR?
Sysex is not directly related to Style processing. The style is Classic MIDI, but it is controlled by CASM data. If you insert the Style directly into the DAW, then process and store it, the CASM data will disappear. Therefore, there are three possible approaches to style processing on your computer. They are suggested in this topic.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55709.msg434040.html#msg434040

Hi Norman,

using >>> "Style Split and Splice" is relatively simple:

1. Start the "Style Split and Splice" program.

2. Click "File > Open Style File(s) to Split", select the desired Style file and click "Open".  (Read the caption on the title bar of each window carefully!)

3. This will open a window called "Save Converted MIDI file". If desired, type in a new file name, then click "Save".

4. This will open a window called "Save Non-MIDI Part of Style". Click "Save".

5. If you did not change the file path while the saving process, you will find the two newly saved files in your "Documents" folder.

6. Import the .mid file (saved in the first step) into your DAW and edit eg the notes of certain MIDI channels. Important: Do NOT edit the Marker events!

7. When you have finished your work, you MUST export it as a MIDI file in SMF0 format (NOT SMF1 !). Type in a new file name and save it to the folder that you have used before.

8. Start "Style Split and Splice" again.

9. Click "File > Open Style File(s) to Splice". (Read the caption on the title bar of each window carefully!)

10. Type in a new file name for the new (edited) Style file and click "Save".

11. Select the edited MIDI file (.mid) you have exported from your DAW before and click "Open".

12. Select the original Non-MIDI file (.nmi) and click "Open".

13. Close "Style Split and Splice" program.

14. Finished! :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Norman

You can write and delete notes in StyleMagic but it not free 😩

Pino

MixMaster is a great program but some things like this in the video it can't work. XGWorks is superior when it comes to Yamaha though. For some actions like editing tones, Cakewalk is the clearest. I always enter through a mixmaster into some DAW and choose the one that is most optimal for me to work with.

https://youtu.be/xK1pCUyJg8o?t=159

Watch my video channel