Author Topic: Wishlist for SX900  (Read 3879 times)

DCKeyboard

Wishlist for SX900
« on: June 15, 2020, 05:05:56 AM »
Hey guys. Just showed my mom the difference between the Genos and the SX900. I always make sure that my mother makes up her mind on what keyboard we think we should get. She doesn't like the price on the Genos which is to me? Understandable. So I showed her the SX900 and explained how the keyboard is identical to the Genos. Almost. We both looked at the Style counts and the voice in between. I also told her about the setup is similar to Genos but doesn't have those sliders and Knobs, not to crazy about it. I'm just the kind of person that just wants to play. What I am happy about this SX900 over EW410 was the arpeggiator. It's got very good features that I'm willingly to see more details on youtube. My mom is satisfied with the SX900. Her concern is how small it is but I told her it's got the button called the octave which lets me go higher or lower as a 88 keyboard as my PSR 280 does not have it. Its the only reason why I have the YPG 235 for that purpose to play in the higher keys. However the SX900 gave me the satisfaction for the price, which is not that expensive, the only thing that I was like why should I pay $6K for Genos when it has 550 styles and the SX900 which has 525 Styles for $2,200? $3,800 for 25 extra styles for Genos? I was like nah! I can buy me styles or request styles here which won't make any difference. Yes I understand about the Internal memory which is not much. But you got the USB to device that takes care of the job.

I use to have Genos on my wishlist but now the SX900 is under my wishlist. My room is small and the 76 key is a little bulky so going for 61 key now. My question for you guys, hows the SX900? Think it's a better upgrade from YPG 235? I may go for 3 multi keyboard similar to Yanni. hehehe

Offline andyg

Re: Wishlist for SX900
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »
"$3800 for 25 extra styles....."

No, not just 25 styles. What you also get is a superior keybed, with more notes (which you stated) plus aftertouch. And you get things like Kino Strings, which are Yamaha's best ever in a keyboard, IMHO. You get all the Super Articulation voices which are a level above what you have in the SX900.

But I'm sure you know all that anyway! :) Is the price difference between SX900 and Genos justified? Only you can decide that. If I had the money available and had to make the choice, it would be Genos for me.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »
"$3800 for 25 extra styles....."

No, not just 25 styles. What you also get is a superior keybed, with more notes (which you stated) plus aftertouch. And you get things like Kino Strings, which are Yamaha's best ever in a keyboard, IMHO. You get all the Super Articulation voices which are a level above what you have in the SX900.

But I'm sure you know all that anyway! :) Is the price difference between SX900 and Genos justified? Only you can decide that. If I had the money available and had to make the choice, it would be Genos for me.

Plus, you can get a Genos for a lot less than $6K.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
I have both keyboards and whilst the SX900 is a very nice keyboard Genos is far more superior overall. You really need to play them both to feel the difference and listen to the sound from both to know what I mean. Also Genos is quite compact in size compared to Tyros 5 76 note keyboard. It is lighter in weight and shorter. Has 3Gb of flash memory for holding all your voice packs and has around 58Gb of user space as opposed to 4Gb on SX900 and 1Gb flash memory. The after touch and Super Articulated2 voices are a must for many. There are also quite a few free downloads of styles and playlists and the Superior pack which contains 50 new styles and sampled voices. Plus lots of other things that make up the difference in price.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
I would the same, it would depend for my mother. You see? She loves how I play and I can only let her make a decision on what keyboard she wants me to have. I have a YPG 235 76 key. Would be nice for another one  ;D, but with the PSR 280, YPG 235 and the SX900 (or Geno) would be perfect for me. I would play as up to 6 keyboard like Yanni's hehehe. I would be satisfied with either SX900 or Geno's. My grandparents? Oh they would love to hear me play, the problem with the genos doesn't have speakers  8) lol but SX900 does, it makes it much easier for me not to install speakers in their living room (My mom's brilliant idea that I never thought of). It varies for my mom that wants me to be happy. She doesn't like to spend a lot of money and I would agree. Thanks for the tips on the SX900 guys  :D. I will see what upgrade keyboards I will go for. I don't know for certain if I am getting Geno's, if I don't? I'd be happy even with another 61 key.  ;).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:04:55 PM by DCKeyboard »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
I do think that the Genos includes £500 - £1000 'top of the range' tax that Yamaha charges just because they can.

This is called premium or skim pricing and is fairly common.

The Genos is a fantastic product though. And you get to choose if the extra is worth it to you or not. I held back for a couple of years before buying. I don't regret it for a moment, YMMV :)

Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
Neirher did I!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

DCKeyboard

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »
I do think that the Genos includes £500 - £1000 'top of the range' tax that Yamaha charges just because they can.

This is called premium or skim pricing and is fairly common.

The Genos is a fantastic product though. And you get to choose if the extra is worth it to you or not. I held back for a couple of years before buying. I don't regret it for a moment, YMMV :)

Neirher did I!!

I'll both of your words for it. If I get a Genos? Would be a blessing. If not? Hey least I'm happy what I'm getting.  ;)

blackpool

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:15 PM »
Just cant understand why they just did not do a 61 in Genos with all the same spec. as the 76,
Correct me if i am wrong but, They did it with Tyros in 61 and 76
I do like the SX spec VERY MUCH but they just missed a trick here IMHO and could have sold a 61 Genos at a much better price point from a profit angle for themselves, with little change other than a smaller cabinet and less keys....but then, what do I know....

Keith .

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
Just cant understand why they just did not do a 61 in Genos with all the same spec. as the 76,
Correct me if i am wrong but, They did it with Tyros in 61 and 76
I do like the SX spec VERY MUCH but they just missed a trick here IMHO and could have sold a 61 Genos at a much better price point from a profit angle for themselves, with little change other than a smaller cabinet and less keys....but then, what do I know....

Yamaha disagrees with you. They think they have the perfect set of options:
Clavinova is 88-key
Genos is 76-key
PSR is 61-key.

If the number of keys is your guiding factor, the decision is simple.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 07:25:05 PM »
Yamaha is a company based on profit and their policy can, will and has changed in time. Nothing wrong with that. If there is a market for there will be 'once' a Genos 61 (As there is a Tyros 76 (in EOL?) and 61). So nothing is as certain as people think  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:28:29 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »
My first 76 note keyboard is the Genos. My first reaction was: What do I do wth all those extra keys. But now I appreciate not having to press the octave buttons so often😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

blackpool

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
I just dont have space for 76 ...hence  SX

As i said Fred.... what do i know??  i am simply a customer

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 10:34:53 PM »
A 76 note  keyboard gives you a much better choice for splitting the keyboard three ways as you can use an octave to bring in that voice you have chosen either for counter medleys of just fills.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 12:14:20 AM »
I just dont have space for 76 ...hence  SX

As i said Fred.... what do i know??  i am simply a customer

Same here, I barely have room for my YPG 235 76 key. Doing the best I can to make room

blackpool

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
Ironically this morning I happened to be speaking to a Yamaha expert and given first hand, the reason why we have not seen a 61 in Genos . ... It turns out the 76 Tyros 5 ( the only Tyros available in a 76 ) was so much more popular then the 61 ( in fact it sold a storm! ) and the Genos was not a great deal bigger than the 61 Tyros and shorter than the 76  so i have my answer...
Like Eileen points out ...as well, i suppose the 76 allows for a better keyboard split 3 ways, which i had not considered.

It still does not help me, like DC, in that i only have room for a psr,sx or any other model in 61 at just over a metre long.

keith 

DCKeyboard

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 01:11:04 AM »
Oh my, oh my, oh my. I want this SX900 that is amazing!!!! I want it  8)

I was just watching the video and still am while writing this post. This is the type of keyboard im looking for. I understand its 61 key, i dis not expect a draw bar on the organs. I have a Wurlitzer organ and this kwyboard? Out beats the organ ive got. I grew playing the Lowrey oragn when I was like 2 years old. My Mother and Father bought the oragn only for me because they knew I'm good at playing it. Heck I would enjoy a 61 key no matter how small. This youtube link definitely got me hooked in the SX900.

https://youtu.be/64zv8I-mGpk

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »
On voices marked Organ Flutes you do have drawbars you can alter on screen by sliding up and down.

DCKeyboard

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »
Only update on my Mother's decision after I spoke to her about the keyboard. She's willingly wants to help me buy the SX900. She definitely not going for the Geno's which I understand, I love my momma. The Geno's is like you buy a car. She doesn't mind about buying the 61 keyboard. I would be very happy to play it, even though its smaller and it's not gonna be bulky in my bedroom. The YPG235 I'm satisfied with it too. I'll be playing 3 keyboards. Whoohoo!! Its officially on my wishilist.

Thank you all for all your help.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:36:30 PM by DCKeyboard »

Offline ton37

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
Be happy with a wise and generous mother. Don't forget to buy her a bunch of roses! ;)
My best regards,
Ton