Author Topic: Wich speakers for my PSR-SX700??  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Leen

Wich speakers for my PSR-SX700??
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
Hello dear musicfriends,

I have a question about the sound of my Yamaha PSR-SX700.
The internal speakers are nice but i miss a lot of full sound experience in my room.
When i use my headphones it is oke and sounds good, but when i play without headphones it sounds like my mobile phone :-)

My question is, what is a good external speaker for my keyboard? I read on internet that active studio speakers are good, but do i need a subwoofer then??
Which type or brands are good? My budget is €200-300,-

I hope my question is clear and i hope someone can give my some good advize.
Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
Leen

Offline EileenL

Re: Wich speakers for my PSR-SX700??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
Have you tried all the different EQ settings on the keyboard or tried setting your own. This can make a big difference.

The following users thanked this post: Leen

Offline Leen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »
Hello Eileen,

Thank you very much for your reaction.
Yes, i played with my bass and trebble in my equalizer settings and it was a little bit better but not the quality what i hear in my headphones. I miss some sounds then?
Are there more options you think in the equalizer settings?

Kind regards,
Leen

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Try out the preset ones I think you should have four of them and also set compressor to rich and make sure it is turned on.

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »
There are many nice choices of speakers for home use in this budget range all of which will be a huge improvement on the built in speakers. But they are such a personal choice that you really need to try and find a good store where you can compare them yourself.
Whether you need a sub woofer is again your personal choice. Depending on your room size, some quality 5 or 6 inch studio monitors around your price range will have more than enough bass for most people. Even 4 inch can be quite bassy and balanced from good manufacturers. I have 4 inch MAudio at home and they have plenty power and bass for me. I have even used them at a quite noisy party in a large room for about 30 people - although they were full out for that.
But some people want even more bass and opt for sub woofers. And also some speaker systems are designed with a sub woofer and smaller satellites, and you definitely need the sub woofer in those cases to get a full rounded sound. That can also be nice from an appearance stand point because the sub woofer is hidden away, and the visible speakers are small and neat. The Yamaha system designed for the Genos is like this and right in your price range.
 MAudio, Mackie, Behringer, are all examples of quality brands with good powered monitor speakers in your price range but there are many others.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Never used it, but I believe the Genos system would work well with the PSR.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: OmbDave

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »
Leen
You sem to have repeated this topic in two different forums, so I have merged the replies and deleted the other.
Mike

Offline Leen

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Hi Mike, that's right. I'm sorry.
I didn't know what was the best topic.

Thanks.

Gr, Leen

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
A good system to look at would be a computer 'gaming' speaker system.

These have a wide pitch range for all the sound effects and music in video games.
So it would handle your keyboards highs & lows quite easily.

They usually have two small 'satellite' speakers and a sub-woofer.
I even use one when I play small gigs...

Alternatively, I have even heard of people using a TV sound bar system (maybe you already have one hooked up to your TV which you could try?)

Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
There are plenty of good quality self powered speakers available. Yamaha do the HS range.

For home use the LOGITECH Z623 2.1 would produce a good quality sound for your keyboard at around £150 UK.
DGX670

Offline Leen

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
Hi Graham and Bruce,

Thanks for your replies.

Question, Logitech 2.1 sounds very nice, i heard them by a friend of mine, but is it not possible to blow up the tweeters with a keyboard??
Because the keyboard or synthesizers generate a very high frequention?

Gr, Leen

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »
Like most speakers, if they are decently made they should not blow up unless you overdrive them.  I did once have some logitech speakers and found them flimsy, and that to be the case for most medium priced computer speakers. But I think the newer ones are probably better made than they used to be.  The quality studio moniters are nearly always very solidly built as they are aimed at musicians, and that is good if you might ever move them to do a gig or a party. For the money, Maudio BX5s are hard to beat, but as I said, its all in the ear of the listener and opinions vary. I finally opted for the 4 inch because the sound quality did not drop off much, they were much cheaper, just as well built, and smaller and less obtrusive for home use.
One thing with many speaker systems - especially computer speakers- is to not be seduced by high wattage specs. The perceived volume produced by speakers is not always lined up with wattage specs. You have to hear them.
Mike

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 05:30:16 PM »
Leen. Any speaker can be damaged by misuse...Just be sensible, if you start to hear distortion turn output down.
Why would you want it so loud anyway ?. you would buy an expensive high powered PA System.
DGX670

Offline Leen

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 05:41:55 PM »
Hi Graham,
No i don't like very hard sounds (Im living in a small apartment :-) ), but i ment that the very low and high tones from my keyboard can damage the speakers.

Gr, Leen

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 07:23:11 PM »
Leen, I used a Logitech 5.1 system for two years and played for audiences to 100 ppl with no problem. The bass boomed, and the mid and high range sounds were crystal clear and well defined. That same system is now connected to my TV and for the ensuring years I used a Bose L1 PAS system, which was very expensive, but covered all the bases with audiences to 1,000 ppl.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 07:26:33 PM »
Speaker damage is generally caused by under powered amplifier being over driven which puts the amplifier into clipping this then can burn out voice coils.
Higher powered amplifiers will give a cleaner signal so if used sensibly won't cause speaker damage.

DGX670

Offline Leen

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Hi Gary,

I'm still learning to play keyboard and play only for 2 people, my wife, myself and my dog. So i think a Logitech would be super :-)

Thank you very much for your reply :-)

Gr, Leen

blackpool

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »
I use logis 5.1   a set of Z906's  AB FAB !!!  and cheap as chips at around £140 for 500W RMS and even in a small space on low are not overbearing, with a super subwoofer..
 If you want smaller i also have a set of Z623's I use in my lounge at home which are great and cost less. still with a powerful subwoofer

The 906 and 623 's are THX certified, so worth their salt....

As said earlier by others in other posts ...for the money with these 2 models you cant go wrong IMHO

I would btw...avoid the much cheaper z333's they sound and look 'ok' but note the tweeters are actually false for some odd reason .... I cant really understand logitech doing this...they are better than that. 

Keith
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:35:32 PM by blackpool »

Offline WaltMon

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »
Leen,

I use the iLoud Micro Monitors by IKMultimedia. They put out a total of 50 watts RMS and they exceptionally well suited for an audience of 1+, small and compact, and an impressive flat frequency response curve. They are at the top end of your budget, however. I, too, have an SX700 and it does not have a separate subwoofer output jack like the SX900. Many 2.1 systems do not use a direct subwoofer connection. I also agree that a decent set of computer gaming speakers should perform well with the SX700.

My computer 2.1 system is still going strong 20 years later (Creative Sound Blaster) although I have never tried to wake the dead with them, either.

Hope this helps!

Walt
SX700, MOX6 (R.I.P.)

Offline Leen

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 07:08:54 PM »
Thank you Walt for your reply!

Gr, Leen

Offline rgw

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
There are many nice choices of speakers for home use in this budget range all of which will be a huge improvement on the built in speakers. But they are such a personal choice that you really need to try and find a good store where you can compare them yourself.
Whether you need a sub woofer is again your personal choice. Depending on your room size, some quality 5 or 6 inch studio monitors around your price range will have more than enough bass for most people. Even 4 inch can be quite bassy and balanced from good manufacturers. I have 4 inch MAudio at home and they have plenty power and bass for me. I have even used them at a quite noisy party in a large room for about 30 people - although they were full out for that.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Do you use these through the keyboard headphone socket or via the line outs? Also do you keep the keyboard equalizer Flat?

Richard.

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 02:26:28 AM »
I use the line out for the speakers. I leave things flat, and it’s fine in my room which is a good shape, about 20 by 28 ft with high (11ft) ceiling and a lot of soft surfaces,  but I might change that in a different setting. I like a nice crisp sound, and I think a lot of people get seduced by too much bass on sound systems.
Mike

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
I, too, have an SX700 and it does not have a separate subwoofer output jack like the SX900. Many 2.1 systems do not use a direct subwoofer connection.

If you want to use the built-in speakers and only need a bit more bass, you can certainly connect a small subwoofer (e. g. Yamaha KS-SW100, Fostex PM-SUBmini 2) to the audio output of the PSR-SX700. This works well in practice if you adjust the volume of the subwoofer accordingly.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »
I am using the Eris E5 XT monitor speakers. Sounds great.

Greetings Marc
Genos2
PSR-SX900
PSR-S950
Roland E86
Yamaha PS55
Yamaha orgel model B

Offline mikf

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 01:10:35 AM »
Fluid Audio is a not so well known name which is worth consideration as they offer great performance at a very low price. I have a pair of their small monitors on one of my keyboards and they are excellent, solidly built and performance as good as speakers costing way more.
Mike

Offline Leen

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
Goodmorning all music friends,

I bought a Logitech set Z625 yesterday and it sounds very nice!
Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Have a nice weekend!

Gr, Leen

blackpool

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »
Hi leen

Glad you like ....that set are super, I use them simply on headphone out with a single stereo jack ....grest crisp sound .....no issues and a lovely bass woofer.

I have both the 5.1 and the 2.1 sets , but the 2.1 ( z625's ) are just great in my own room or would be perfect for a small gig.

Enjoy

keith

Offline Ingar

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
Hello dear musicfriends,

I have a question about the sound of my Yamaha PSR-SX700.
The internal speakers are nice but i miss a lot of full sound experience in my room.
When i use my headphones it is oke and sounds good, but when i play without headphones it sounds like my mobile phone :-)

My question is, what is a good external speaker for my keyboard? I read on internet that active studio speakers are good, but do i need a subwoofer then??
Which type or brands are good? My budget is €200-300,-

I hope my question is clear and i hope someone can give my some good advize.
Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
Leen
Nr.1 is Logitec z 623. They deliver a sound you have to listen to believe, and affordable in price.
Regards Ingar

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 06:48:35 PM »
What is the difference between the Logitech z-623 and the z-625 ? The z-625  is $30 more. Do they have the same quality sound from a keyboard?
Amazon link to Logitech z-623 / z-625 : shorturl.at/bktM1
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

blackpool

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
I have a set of 623's in my lounge Larry. I think they are the same output and look just like the 625's but there might be an optical input or maybe bluetooth on the 625's ? ...no really sure

The 623's are a GREAT set of speakers for the money. I have been very pleased with mine.

I must have made a mistake earlier in the thread Larry I made ref. to mine as 625's they are infact 623's - as i say, same looking speakers/output as far as I am aware.

several available here of both models - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980-001256-Z625/dp/B01L9NL7GW

Keith
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:36:56 PM by blackpool »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Thanks Keith, specs look the same, except for the optical in on the z625 and that's not needed to hook up a keyboard, so the z623 is probably going to be my choice
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

blackpool

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 05:08:55 PM »
Yes Larry - Optical and bluetooth I dont use anyway, ( as i found a delay when I tried a set with bluetooth )

They really are a great set, the sound and power are AMAZING, They are THX certified, for what it's worth, i am not sure, but they must have passed 'some' tests to get it i imagine. I can keep these on low and they are really rich and not overbearing in my home lounge.

I just have mine connected using the headphone socket ( simple single lead with stereo mini jack out and in to logis ) and have switched my board in the speaker menu for the internals to remain 'on'  I do find the signal out from headphones to be quite pure and reliable. I really never know with 'audio out' what is the best option after years of trying several options...i find this the best solution.
Balance is great as well, I simply control using my master volume on the board with the logis set on around 40%

Value for money ...I think these are about the best option for home use, without breaking the bank and i have also used this set for a small gig and they were fine in a room with about 100 people. I did not need my bigger set.

Keep us posted if you decide to get a set

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 12:36:47 AM »
Looks like you have them set below your keyboard, never thought of that, A space saving idea. Just don't quite understand why you use the headphone out port, when there are aux outputs on the back of the keyboard? You'd be able to then use both the onboard speakers and the external Logitech's simultaneously or separately, No? But whatever works, and the headphone out way does seem simpler and easier to control volume.

Thanks for you help Keith.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

blackpool

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »
Yes Larry - as i pointed out..... I just use the switch function so the internals remain on when headphone socket is in use.

I just find the sound well rounded and the balance is never an issue + its easy

Keith 

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot about the switch function for the headphone jack, Thanks again Keith
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
Also, the headphone jack allows you to use a single, 1/4-inch stereo plug to send the sound to the amp, instead of routing a couple 1/4-inch mono plugs to do the same job. The one thing I suggest, though, is to use a right angle jack to avoid inadvertently hitting the plug sticking out and damage the keyboard. Don't ask how I discovered this. ;)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

blackpool

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 10:14:03 PM »
Yes Gary - I do , Using  an adaptor elbow converted it to a mini jack. It not only avoids possible damage, it looks a little neater.

Keith 

[attachment deleted by admin]