Author Topic: T5 MFC10 IPAD Songbook  (Read 2874 times)

Offline repetedj

T5 MFC10 IPAD Songbook
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:00:36 AM »
Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to the T5 and I am trying to find out some info on how the MFC10, IPAD and Songbook work before I invest the dollars.

I would like to be able to select a song via Songbook on the IPAD and have it load the registration, midi file, text file and style on the T5.

I would like to display a text file(or sheet music) on the IPAD and have the MFC10 turn the page forward just like I can do with the foot pedal on the Tyros.  I would also like to turn the page backwards in case I went forward too far.

I would also like to press a button on the MFC10 to have the T5 step thru a registration sequence.

Can the MFC10 turn on and off  the keyboard harmony.

Please recommend which IPAD(version?) I would need and the type of connections between the IPAD, T5 and the MFC10.

The MFC10 uses a Midi connection. I would prefer to connect the IPAD to the T5 by MIDI. I am using the USB to connect to my laptop.

Lastly, what would be a good screen size for the IPAD?
I hope I am making sense.

Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

Re: T5 MFC10 IPAD Songbook
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »
I don't have an MFC10, but can answer some of the other questions.

I would like to be able to select a song via Songbook on the IPAD and have it load the registration, midi file, text file and style on the T5.
This can be done.

I would like to display a text file(or sheet music) on the IPAD and have the MFC10 turn the page forward just like I can do with the foot pedal on the Tyros.  I would also like to turn the page backwards in case I went forward too far.
I doubt you can get the MFC10 to do this. Options that I know work are to use midi files to change the page (this is what I do), or get a bluetooth pedal.

I would also like to press a button on the MFC10 to have the T5 step thru a registration sequence.
Again, I have my doubts the MFC10 can do this. But a pedal can.

Can the MFC10 turn on and off  the keyboard harmony.
Most likely.

Please recommend which IPAD(version?) I would need
Any iPad will do. Get the size where you can comfortably read the music

The MFC10 uses a Midi connection. I would prefer to connect the IPAD to the T5 by MIDI. I am using the USB to connect to my laptop.
You can use a wired connection (midi-to-camera adapter cable). Or, you can go wireless. I really like Yamaha's MD-BT01, which is their midi-to-Bluetooth adapter.

Lastly, what would be a good screen size for the IPAD?
One where you can read the music. It all depends on your eyes.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
Repetedj,

The MFC10 is no longer available as Yamaha discontinued it, not sure why, I love mine. You may be able to find a used one.
You can find out what the MFC10 can control in the reference book, page 142. But it is easier to find it right on the Tyros 5. Go to Function MIDI and select the MFC10 Tab, from there you can scroll thru all the options. One thing I know it won't control is registration sequence. For that I use a separate pedal. It will turn harmony on and off. I have the iPad Pro it it about the same size as sheet music and easy to read. The MFC10 with not control the iPad. There are two MIDI connections A + B on the Tyros, so you can do both.
Fred has answered all your Songbook+ questions.

Good luck finding one!

Rick D.

Offline repetedj

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 08:02:24 AM »
Fred and Rick,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.

Rick, I looked on the T5 MFC10 tab. When I scrolled thru the Functions in the Foot Switch Settings, there are options to select Text Page + and Text Page -.  Also the Functions for Regist Seq + and Regist Seq - is listed there as well..

So, if I choose one switch for Text Page + and another for Text page -, will these 2 switches move the text page on the T5 text screen forward and backward?

The same kind of question for the Registration sequence. If I assign Regist Seq + to a switch, would it change (move forward thru)  the Registration sequence?

Fred, Would you please explain how you use a midi file to change the page on the iPad?
Fred, Do all IPADs have the same connection (midi-to-camera adapter cable)? I saw on your video where the adapter connects to the IPAD. Is the connection port on the IPAD the same across most models?

As you can tell I am green to all of this. I appreciate you patience.

Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »

Fred, Would you please explain how you use a midi file to change the page on the iPad?
Fred, Do all IPADs have the same connection (midi-to-camera adapter cable)? I saw on your video where the adapter connects to the IPAD. Is the connection port on the IPAD the same across most models?

I use the keyboard-controls-Songbook method. So I change the page the same way I load the PDF -- with a midi file. The files I use are available in the comments section of my Youtube channel. If you're using the Songbook-controls-keyboard method, which is what you requested at the start, then my method won't work for you.

In the history of iPads, there have been three different connectors -- 30-pin, lightning, USB-C. You can get an adaptor for any one of these connections. Bluetooth will work on any iPad.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 09:37:14 PM »
Repeted,

Chances are if it is listed, it will work. I don’t use those functions myself, I use a separate pedal for registration sequeuance, because all of my switches are assigned to other functions. You can have up to 30 options to use, but it is hard to jump around to the other tiers as you are playing.  I no longer own a Tyros 5 so, I am going from memory. I do remember that setting up the MFC-10 was a lot easier on the Tyros, then it was on the Genos.
I use Songbook+ for text with a blue tooth Air Pedal, to turn the pages up and down.
I am curious as to where you can find an MFC 10, as I would like a spare one. Mine is getting old.

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
They are not making this pedal any more. It also got very expensive to buy.

The following users thanked this post: Rick D.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 02:10:54 AM »
Eileen,

That is what I heard as well!

Rick D.

Offline repetedj

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 05:29:12 AM »
Hello,

I've been busy and I haven't had a chance to get back to this post.
I appreciate all the responses from everyone.
I have seen the mfc10 on Amazon listed for a little over $300 and the page said they have 4 left.

After some analysis, I have decided to go a slightly different route based on the info I received here.

I play by memory. I can tell you what the notes are on a staff but when it comes time to play the song, they just don't translate out my fingers to the KB.

For the past few months, I have created text files that have the lyrics and the cords above the words for the songs I play. I use the single finger feature for the left hand chords.

So my plan is this.
     I going to use an IPAD or tablet to display my text files using either Songbook or Mobilesheets Pro. I will select the song on the IPAD/Tablet and have it select the song on the Tyros from the registration banks (MSB-LSB).  An bluetooth pedal will be used to turn the pages. (The VGA port on the Tyros will only be used to display Karaoke lyrics).

One of the existing pedals on the Tyros will be used to step thru the registration when needed.
I will also utilize the other 2 tyros pedals. One for keyboard harmony and the other for vocal harmony.

If you see any problem with this plan, please let me know.

Any idea how much storage I will need on the IPAD/Tablet for text or PDF files (32, 64 or 128G)

I thank everyone for their time and patience.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
A 32gb ipad would be more than ample if all you want to do is store text and pdf files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

ed mc

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Hello,

I bought a MFC10 from AudioworksCT. Contact is Frank Ventresca.

Regards,

Ed