Author Topic: Cancelling a Registration Bank  (Read 2320 times)

dlbeaty

Cancelling a Registration Bank
« on: June 10, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
This might seem like a dumb question. I have read everywhere and cannot find an answer.

I have just received my PSR-S775 a few days ago, and am trying to go slow and get acquainted with its settings. I could not find any information about the default settings, so I have done the factory reset a couple of times.

When I turn it off it looks like it remembers the midi settings, the split keyboard settings, which are the only things I change normally. The Registration bank that I have saved is green, until I press it.

Is there a way to restore the "boot up" settings after using a Registration bank? I thought about rebooting the keyboard and then saving that to a Registration bank, but don't know why that would be necessary. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline DerekA

Re: Cancelling a Registration Bank
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
No, you would need to use a registration bank to change things back to the bootup state.

Many people have what they term a "setup registration" which puts everything into a known default state that suits them. The first time you know you need this is when you load up a registration that unexpectedly changes something (like split point, pedal assignment, live control, whatever) and you wonder what happened!

So yes, set things up the way you like them to be as a default, and save to a registration with a name that you'll remember and find easily. When you start the keyboard, select this registration and you're good to go. And if something gets "knocked out" during your performance, select this registration again to get back to safety.

Anticipating a common followup question to this : No you can't set a default registration that loads up every time you start the keyboard.

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
A 'Start-up' bank - usually with just one registration, is something that I've been getting my students to do for almost 20 years!

It usually gets called A BLANK, as in 'a blank sheet of paper', which means it's easy to find! You should find that it will evolve over time, as you find your way around the new keyboard and start to get a bit more fussy about your settings. ALWAYS use it when starting a new registration bank (unless you're making a close copy of an existing one) and ALWAYS back it up as something like Z BLANK, for that O M G! moment when you realise you've just accidentally saved your newly created bank of sounds as.... A BLANK!

And it's the perfect antidote to 3rd part registrations, or OTS, Playlist registrations or (on older keyboards) Music Finder, which, as has already been said, will happily mess up your carefully set up split points etc etc.

I would love to have the ability to then save this as a default start-up setting on power-up and indeed have argued this up at Yamaha HQ, but the fact remains that it's just two or three button pushes and a few seconds of time to do it the way we have to, so who's really worried! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:55:02 PM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

dlbeaty

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:41 AM »
Thanks Andy and Derek. Is a "setup registration" or "startup bank" the same thing as what Yamaha calls and "empty bank?" as shown here? https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/keyboards/8482.html

My thought for the since this keyboard is new, I would reset to factory settings in all settings. Then save that to a startup bank. I can change it as I learn more. That way I can become familiar with what Yamaha considers a generic setup.

Dan

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:36:10 AM »
Why would you need a reset registration? When you can just reset?

An empty bank is just that — all registrations blank. Some people like to use it when starting to create a new registration.

A setup registration almost always has only one registration, and sets up the keyboard the way YOU want it (pedals, vocal harmony, etc.), not the way Yamaha wants it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

dlbeaty

Registration Bank questions
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 02:56:33 AM »
More dumb questions. Can I save midi settings in a registration bank? I checked every box when I saved settings. The split keyboard settings are actually saved, even though they are not in the list, but midi settings have to be called up from the user tab each time I change the registration bank.

Dan

Offline overover

Re: Registration Bank questions
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
More dumb questions. Can I save midi settings in a registration bank? I checked every box when I saved settings. The split keyboard settings are actually saved, even though they are not in the list, but midi settings have to be called up from the user tab each time I change the registration bank.

Dan

Hi Dan,

no, the MIDI Settings can NOT be saved/memorized to a Registration. The only way is to change MIDI Settings MANUALLY, if needed. You can press "Function > MIDI" or alternatively "Direct Access > Function". For faster changing between Preset and User MIDI Templates, you can copy the needed Preset MIDI Templates to the User tab (call up a Preset Template, tab to User and save it there).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:40:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

dlbeaty

Re: Registration Bank questions
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Hi Dan,

no, the MIDI Settings can NOT be saved/memorized to a Registration. The only was is to change MIDI Settings MANUALLY, if needed. You can press "Function > MIDI" or alternatively "Direct Access > Function". For faster changing between Preset and User MIDI Templates, you can copy the needed Preset MIDI Templates to the User tab (call up a Preset Template, tab to User and save it there).

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks again Chris. I suspected as such, but it didn't hurt to ask. With my PSR-730, I often would work on the chord arrangement in Cubase, play it back in the keyboard with the appropriate style and voice settings, and then import it back into Cubase to add vocals and live instruments. All I usually had to change in settings was ext clock. To do this with the s775 I had to create a user setting in midi to allow it to receive keyboard notes from port 1 with ext midi clock.

Like everything else. it will eventually become second nature to switch the midi settings back and forth.

Dan