Author Topic: Tyros T5 Versus Genus  (Read 3325 times)

Offline adrianed

Tyros T5 Versus Genus
« on: June 04, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »
I listen to music played on T5 ( which I have) and music played on Genos and I cant hear much improvement in the Genos that would be important to the folk we are playing to
Can anyone tell me if its worth changing from a good working T5 to a Genos
Perhaps not looking at the cost but looking at whether we might put on a better Sounding show
How it sounds is important to many of us,
Adrian

Pino

Re: Tyros T5 Versus Genus
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
Adrian

Genos sounds better than the Tyros5 but how much better???

When I’m out gigging it does not make any difference to my audience whether I am playing a SX900, 975 or 950.

It’s how you play it that counts, it’s all about the player.

Pino

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
Good point Pino.  I agree, the audience are unlikely to notice any difference between a Tyros 5 and a Genos.  What you play and how you play it are the key indicators added to a decent sound system.   

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
Agree with the others. I have both models. There are some differences in sound, but not that much. But the Genos is smaller and lighter, and the touch screen interface makes it easy to use.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
To me there are certain voices that are a lot better on the Genos than on the Tyros 5. The Revo drums are very realistic, and not mechanical like on the Tyros line. The DSP's are more realistic in my opinion. The Kino Strings, I am still undecided about , I can take them or leave them. It could be my style of play, perhaps if I played more symphony type music I would like them more.
To me the best improvement is the new interface. It is so much easier to use and very quick to get to where you need to be. The file system is easier to use as well. The playlist function, take a bit to get used to after using Music Finder for so long, but once you get used to it, it is another improvement. The ability to work with Songbook+ is also a lot easier to use and link your sheet music to registrations, and vice versa, then it was on the Tyros.

Just my two cents!

Rick D.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
I'm not sure how much it translates over a PA system, I only play at home.

I was never really fully happy with the sound from my T5, even playing with the EQ settings. It just seemed to be a bit muddy, lacking presence, particularly in the styles.

It's very different with Genos. It sounds very clear and clean. I took a while to take the plunge with Genos but I have not regretted it for a moment. I couldn't read the button labels properly on T5. I find it so much easier to use the touch screen, my only wish is that it could be tilted :)

I'm sure it's all very subjective though.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
You will find the sounds on Genos crisp and clear and much better all round. The new styles are
also very good. Also having ten registration slots is a nice bonus.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 06:20:06 AM »
Hi everyone,
Sorry for taking so long to reply
Thankyou all for your replies to my query.
I used to mock the idea of touching the screen of monitors to control things but I after having had to do that on for instance the ipad It turns out that it is a very easy way to get things done
From just watching others play Genos it seemed to me that it worked best for the younger players and the kind of music they play, just a thought.
I have often thought my T2 sounds better than the T5, Some of the woodwind instruments on the T5 seem to have too much trembly affect similar to us using too much modulation, I have never changed these myself and it is the same as it arrived direct from Yamaha, I am not confident enough to change the sounds to correct it ( the dealer had it sent directly to my address from Yamaha because I am about 3000 Klm from their shop )
Thankyou all,
Adrian
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:25:34 AM by adrianed »