Author Topic: Registration corruption problem still there on Genos 2.02  (Read 2014 times)

Offline jimlaing

Registration corruption problem still there on Genos 2.02
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
Hi - this is a problem I mentioned way back, and I thought it was fixed after the latest Genos updates.  However, I've seen it happen again a couple of times recently.  This time, I decide to try to capture exactly what was happening.  I'm attaching 2 Registration files, one with "-err" (for error) added to the filename.

[I'll be sending this to Yamaha tech support as well; putting here in case anyone else has seen this or knows a way around it].

The scenario is always like this: I load up a Reg file, press the button to recall a registration I want to edit.  This always happens to be a problem only if I have one of the Jazz Guitars (with default effects settings) in the Left position.  I have NEVER seen this happen other than this specific situation.  The registration is OK and worked fine "last week" or whenever I recalled it last.  So I made my edit - in this case, I changed to a custom-made Multipad.  I did NO other editing.  Then I hit "memory" and save the Registration.  At that instant and forward, the L "Jazz Guitar" sound is completely messed up - it has a HEAVY distortion, really loud - definitely no longer the default effects for that voice which were in the registration before I did the edit and re-save.  Seems the Effects settings for L, if it's a Jazz Guitar, get 'corrupted' (badly)!

I have 2 Registration files to illustrate this problem - I can send them anyone interested via email; I can't seem to attach them here due to their file-type.

This same thing has happened to me numerous times; I have a recent habit, every time I do Reg edit, that I have to check that the L voice effects have not become horribly corrupted!  It has happened to me several times even after 2.02 update; this is the first time I thought to capture it before I "repair" it and re-save it.  (to 'repair' it, I just call up the L voice, select a different voice, then select back to the voice I want (such as Jazz Guitar).  This re-sets to default Effects settings.  Then I save and all is OK again.

I do have 2 Reg files available to show the exact nature of this problem.
Thanks!
Jim   919-264-5968
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline murrayb

Re: Registration corruption problem still there on Genos 2.02
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:53:24 PM »
Jim

Send the two registrations to me and I'll compare the contents for the left voice.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:23:16 AM »
here they are:

It's registration #8 (Tijuana Taxi).  The "-err" version has the problem that showed
up, while the other is identical but was before the problem showed up.

Thanks!
Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »
Both regs #8 use the same Legacy DSP 'V Distortion Jazz Clean', but the 'Overdrive' parameter in the DSP Detail is different in the two reg. banks.

In the original it is set to 10%, but in the '-err' reg. it is set to 82%. This is what is giving you the horrendous noise!

If you reset the Overdrive to 10% in the '-err' reg, it sounds just like the original.

Of course this does not explain why the change occurred!  No doubt some will say it is due to 'operator error', but I wouldn't be so presumptive!

Maybe the significant changes to the registration structure on Genos with the various firmware releases that Murray has mentioned have something to do with it!  I was surprised at the size of these banks, around 116 KB, compared with a bank on Tyros/PSR-S which typically would be around 10 KB or less!

So although I can't tell you how it happened, at least you know what is responsible for the difference in sound in these regs!   ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline murrayb

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:54 PM »
Jim:

Ian is correct that there are 5 bytes in the DSP section of the left voices that are different and further changes in 2 of the insertion blocks, and it would appear to be a problem with the Genos.  I took your err file into YRM, changed the left voice effect to something else, then changed it back to V Distortion Jazz Clean and YRM entered the correct values for the 5 bytes exactly the same as your original, but YRM doesn't change the insertion block.

Murray

Offline murrayb

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »
Ian:

The horrendous size of the registrations is due to the very sloppy coding of the live control and assignable button sections of the registration.  Live controls use only about 12 characters of data to set the value for the controller, but each section is 122 characters long.  The assignable buttons have more characters than your original T5 file and most are empty.  But the worst part is the optional description that can be added to a live control. There was obviously enough room in the original sections above, but to deal with  the limit of 9 characters each, the registration now contains 36 new sections of 216 characters each - total waste.

Murray

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:50 PM »
The horrendous size of the registrations is due to the very sloppy coding of the live control and assignable button sections of the registration.

Sloppy coding from Yamaha!  Surely not!  :o ::) :-\ :'(   You'll be accusing them of being 'economical' with information next!

Wash your mouth out with soap (for at least 20 seconds of course)!   ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:05 AM »
Hi - yeah, I understand that the effect setting is what causes the distortion - what i don't know, is why it changes when I recall a Registration, make a simple change (such as in my case, changing the Multipad file that is used), then re-save the Registration.  This seems to happen only on Registrations that have a Jazz Guitar (or similar), and it only ever happens when that voice is in the LEFT setting.  Some odd 'bug', it would seem, that I hope Yamaha will address . . .

Jim