Author Topic: Edit Bass notes in a style ?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline terryB

Edit Bass notes in a style ?
« on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
Hi, I am trying to make minor changes to the base notes of a third party purchased style from D-O-O.

I go to Style Creator then to Channel Edit, make the target channel Bass but the top bar indicates Rhythm 2 is selected, and this is the case when I press Step Edit, the Events list is for the rhythm part. In fact I cant make it shift from Rhyrhm 2

I tried it on a preset style with same result. Have I got a malfunction or missing something out ?  :-\

Anybody help  ???

Cheers Terry

Pino

Re: Edit Bass notes in a style ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »
Hi Terry
Don’t know what keyboard you’ve got?

I have an S950 in front of me.

Go to the bottom left corner and press the arrows 🔼 🔽 to change the Chanel.

Much easier in StyleMagic. 😀

Pino

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
Hi Terry,

To change MIDI events (notes, velocities, timing etc) you need to use the Step Editor, not the Channel Edit screen.

In order to select a specific channel to display in the Step Editor, you must first select it as the Recording channel from the Rec Channel screen.

However, many Yamaha Preset styles have most of their channels (other than Rhy2) locked for editing the existing patterns, and will only allow you to select one of them as the Rec Channel if you delete the existing data first!

I have just tried to edit a couple of DOO.DE styles in Genos Style Creator and they both did this too!

To edit such styles you need to make a copy of the style and then use a computer to either...

1]  Try to 'unlock' the locked channels using a program such as Jørgen Sørensen's 'Style Unlocker' program (for PC) which sometimes can unlock style channels, but not always!

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stun/index.htm

If this works you can edit the style back on Genos as I described above.

Edit:  I just used this program on one of the 'locked' DOO.DE styles, and back on Genos I can now select any style channel for editing (by arming it for recording! - you try working out Yamaha's logic!  ??? ::) ) without getting the dreaded deletion warning!

2]  Alternatively you could just edit the style on a computer using a program that doesn't care about Yamaha's restrictions and gives you access to all channels without any need to unlock them.  Such a program is 'MixMaster' which was originally provided by Michael Bedesem but is now administered and developed by Etienne Volbragt.

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Unfortunately there is a bit of a learning curve to use the program, but for the type of simple edits that you referred to, it is quite straight forward.

3]  You can use 'StyleMagic' to edit such styles as Pino suggested, but unlike MixMaster, StyleMagic is not free.   Unless you think that you might make use of StyleMagic in future for other of it's many features, it may be somewhat overkill for your current requirements!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:18:47 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline terryB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:08:16 PM »
Thanks for your help Pino and Ian I will come back to this task.

Cheers Terry

Offline terryB

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
Did it  ;) ;D  I down loaded Jorgen's unlock file and did the unlocking on my PC and it worked when I tried it on the Genos. As you mentioned the original try produced the must delete original file info first when I tried to edit, this was removed with the new style file.

Hats off to Jorgen for producing this unlock program.  :) :)

However I tried the new style in the channel edit and that produced the same result as before ??

I cannot understand why there would be a restriction on editing style parts  ??? especially when software experts can override it  ;)
Good job there are people like Jorgen willing to provide us novice players the ability to overcome such restrictions.

The Mix Master program I downloaded to my PC's both desktop and laptop does not appear to download properly, the screen display is incomplete,
is there additional software needed to run this ?  ???

Anyway, I will get back to do the edits I was trying to make to the style.

Thanks again  Terry