Author Topic: PSR S670 Using Chord Detect with Power Tracks (or other)  (Read 1925 times)

ChrisFair

PSR S670 Using Chord Detect with Power Tracks (or other)
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
Hi all
Sorry if this has been requested before (I couldn't find it)
I recently purchased a PSR S670 and am not an accomplished keyboard player.
It occurred to me that I could record the 'fingered' chords in a step sequencer then play them back and they would control the left hand accompaniment whilst I concentrate on getting the melody bit sorted.
I can get the chords recorded OK in Power Tracks but having set the chord detect to channel 1 to on, when I play them back I am getting the style OK but also the notes of the channel (eg single fingered Bm is not only sounding the accompaniment but also the rotten sounding black not below the root note)
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
I hope the answer isn't practice 'harder for 10 years and you won't need to prerecord anything'!!
Thanks

Offline mikf

Re: PSR S670 Using Chord Detect with Power Tracks (or other)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »
Chris
i am sure that some of the technical wizz kids can give you the answer you request.
But meanwhile I am going to give you the answer you dont seem to want - you will get much more out of this in the long run if you work on playing rather than a technical solution. And it will not take 10 years. Most people can make decent music using an arranger within a few months, not years. That is really the whole point and popularity of arrangers, they make playing much easier. Find someone to give you lessons, and you will be there faster than you think. Or use an online system of learning.
You can also easily start by just recording the lh chords using fast record, do it at very slow speed if you are struggling. Then play along using the rh at your chosen speed. Yes you will have an initial investment in time to learn how to play, read, change chords with your LH , but not at the same time as you play RH. And many, many songs use only about 4 chords, and in the key of C that is not really hard to learn - an hour a day for a week and you will be there.
Think of it like this, lets say you want to learn to play golf, but find it a bit hard, would you then just let someone else hit all the long shots and just learn to putt? Would that be any real fun??
I am sure you bought the keyboard to learn to play, dont give that up, invest few months, and you might surprise yourself.
Cheers
Mike

ChrisFair

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
Thanks Mike. I agree with you comments but really am looking to quickly put together some songs that will show off the built in keyboard styles etc.
I am musically literate (Classical guitar) and am hoping to produce my own midi backing tracks.
I am looking for a better understanding of how the keyboard midi setting need to be configured to make the accompaniment parts automatically.
In the mean time I am practicing!

ChrisFair

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
Progress to date...

Keyboard setup is
MIDI - CHORD DETECT turn on Channel 1
Turn ACMP off

In Power Tracks(or other)
Create Midi track
Set Output Channel to 1
Step record your left hand chords

For playback
Ensure keyboard is set to be the output route
Make sure tempo on Keyboard and Sequencer are the same
Enable ACMP and Sync Start on keyboard

Hit Play in sequencer.

Its close but I'm still wanting to not hear the notes used to make the chord in the first place (this would letme use single fingered as well). I tried reducing the note volume to 0 but that seems to stop eveything from sounding.

Ant thought are still very welcome