Author Topic: EW400 Recording to IPAD  (Read 2294 times)

JanTheMan

EW400 Recording to IPAD
« on: May 29, 2020, 01:47:24 AM »
I would like to transfer songs I have recorded in User Songs on my EW400 to my IPAD and then edit them. I have connected my IPAD Air 2 to my PSR EW400 using the host to usb cable and lightning  to usb Camera adapter.

I tried using the Yamaha My Music Recorder app, but when I play the song from User Songs and try to record, no audio is recorded. Do I need a different app or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

SeaGtGruff

Re: EW400 Recording to IPAD
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:45 PM »
The best way to do what you're wanting is to use the "Save SMF" option in the FILE CONTROL menu to convert your User Song to a standard MIDI file. This will export the User Song to a MIDI song file on an attached USB flash drive.

Then you can transfer that file to your iPad using whatever method is at your disposal, such as using a computer to save it to a cloud storage site like iCloud, DropBox, or whatever. Then you should be able to pull it up on your iPad from the cloud storage so you can edit it in whatever app you're using.

If you don't have a computer, just an iPad, then you'll need to have a way to connect the USB flash drive to the iPad.

Another possibility would be to connect the keyboard to the iPad, start recording the keyboard's MIDI output in your iPad app, then select the User Song you want to transmit and start playback, first making sure that you've got the "Song Out" function turned on.

But the "Save SMF" is by far the preferred, best method.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
Wait, I didn't read closely enough and misunderstood what you're trying to do.

You're trying to record the audio output, not MIDI?

The PSR-EW400 has USB audio capability, so in theory you should be able to record its audio using a USB connection, at least if the USB audio is being received correctly. I'm not familiar with the iPad Air 2 as far as any possible issues with compatibility.

Note that the PSR-EW400 cannot use USB 3, so you need to be sure that the USB cable is USB 2 and not USB 3. The iPad presumably has USB 3, but that shouldn't matter as long as the cable going to the keyboard is USB 2.

I'll see if I can get that app to work on my iPad 5 with my PSR-EW400.

ADDENDUM -- As far as I can tell from what it says in the App Store, the Yamaha My Music Recorder app is for MIDI recording, not audio. It doesn't specifically say that in the description, but it does say that you need an interface with core MIDI compatibility, implying that it receives and records MIDI data, not audio.

You should look for a different app. Some audio recording apps use the iPad's built-in microphone, but you'll want an app that can use a connected audio source. Some potential apps include Cubasis and Auria.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:29:39 AM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:35:01 AM »
I would like to transfer songs I have recorded in User Songs on my EW400 to my IPAD and then edit them. I have connected my IPAD Air 2 to my PSR EW400 using the host to usb cable and lightning  to usb Camera adapter.

I tried using the Yamaha My Music Recorder app, but when I play the song from User Songs and try to record, no audio is recorded. Do I need a different app...?

Hi Jan,

you can use the USB-to-Host terminal of the PSR-EW400 for MIDI or Audio data transmission. BUT if you want to make an Audio recording, you need a different app, because "My Music Recorderc can only record MIDI data.

And please note that you can NOT edit Tracks separately, if you make a "global" Audio recording.

Therefore my question: What exactly are you planning to do (with the recordings)?

P.S.
Maybe "GarageBand" would do the job. You can use this app with Audio and MIDI. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:43:10 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)