Author Topic: Thinking about buying the Yamaha psrs670  (Read 6917 times)

leo35

Thinking about buying the Yamaha psrs670
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:23 PM »
Hello I am new here, I came
 here with the hopes of getting guidance as to whether I should buy Yamaha PSR s670, I had downloaded some of the styles and voice lists and it seems pretty good, but I want to make sure that it's worth getting. Has anyone had a problem with it?

Offline overover

Re: Thinking about buying the Yamaha psrs670
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
Hi Leo,

I recommend to go at least on a S770. The S670 is very complicated to use because it has no direct access buttons (A - J) next to the display (like all other PSR-S and Tyros models have).

The S670 has a (in my opinion) too complicated user interface (similar to PSR-E models). You can select things only by using the Cursor buttons, the +/- (YES/NO) buttons or the data wheel (in combination with the ENTER button).

Please see also the attached picture.

Best regards.
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:54:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

leo35

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
I tried to look for
What you recommended
But they no longer carry it.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:21:34 PM »
I tried to look for
What you recommended
But they no longer carry it.

Hi Leo,

I don't understand what you exactly mean by "they no longer carry it". Can you say this in other words?

I recommend you to go on a S770 / S775 or (much better) on a S970 / S975.

I also do NOT recommend going to an earlier model (S750 / S710 or S950 / S910): Although these models have the direct access buttons I mentioned, they do not yet support the current Expansion Pack technology, and these models are already relatively old (about 8 - 11 years). Here, a small technical defect can mean total economic loss.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:23:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

leo35

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
What I mean is I looked on
Line mainly Amazon and guitar center and they no longer carry the item (have ( that you mentioned

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:10:57 AM »
The PSR-S770 and S970 are older, discontinued models, which is why you won't find them on Amazon, Guitar Center, or other vendor websites unless they are used or new old-stock.  They were replaced by the PSR-S775 and S975, and then now have been replaced by the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900, though the Yamaha website still lists the S775 and S975 as current.  Depending on the discounts you can find, the S775 and SX700 are going to be in the $1300 to $1500 range, and the S975 and SX900 will be in the $2000 to $2200 range.  The PSR-S670, however, is around $800 to $850.  So, that is something to consider, as well.

Also potentially important is, as the model numbers suggest, the S670 came out around the same time as the S770 and S970 and is a 5 year old model.  For some reason, Yamaha never came out with an "S675" version, and they have yet to come out with an "SX600" or other replacement/upgrade, but again, as this model is 5 years old, they may be planning something -- but that is just a guess.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

leo35

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:49:17 AM »
I think im going to try my hand at the psrs670..I've had the mm6 before
That had a cursor on it and I managed pretty good.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:00:57 AM »
I think im going to try my hand at the psrs670..I've had the mm6 before
That had a cursor on it and I managed pretty good.

Hi Leo,

here in Germany, used S670 keyboards are about 500 euros. But you can buy a "new" (but in fact already several years old ;) ) S670 for about 570 euros (with a 3-Years-Warrenty). A used S770/S775 you can buy here for about 700 euros.

All in all, the S670 is a good keyboard. And if your budget is limited at the moment, in my opinion it is much better to buy an S670 than eg a PSR-E model.

If at some point you are annoyed eg by the lack of the direct access keys I mentioned (or you are missing other features) you can always switch to a larger model later (preferably a PSR-SX model) ... :)

Best regards,
Chris

leo35

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »
I liked the styles on psrs67O
I like that I
Comes with
Drum loops and guitar phrases.. right now I have an e463 which doesn't do much.
Hi Leo,

here in Germany, used S670 keyboards are about 500 euros. But you can buy a "new" (but in fact already several years old ;) ) S670 for about 570 euros (with a 3-Years-Warrenty). A used S770/S775 you can buy here for about 700 euros.

All in all, the S670 is a good keyboard. And if your budget is limited at the moment, in my opinion it is much better to buy an S670 than eg a PSR-E model.

If at some point you are annoyed eg by the lack of the direct access keys I mentioned (or you are missing other features) you can always switch to a larger model later (preferably a PSR-SX model) ... :)

Best regards,
Chris
The PSR-S770 and S970 are older, discontinued models, which is why you won't find them on Amazon, Guitar Center, or other vendor websites unless they are used or new old-stock.  They were replaced by the PSR-S775 and S975, and then now have been replaced by the PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900, though the Yamaha website still lists the S775 and S975 as current.  Depending on the discounts you can find, the S775 and SX700 are going to be in the $1300 to $1500 range, and the S975 and SX900 will be in the $2000 to $2200 range.  The PSR-S670, however, is around $800 to $850.  So, that is something to consider, as well.

Also potentially important is, as the model numbers suggest, the S670 came out around the same time as the S770 and S970 and is a 5 year old model.  For some reason, Yamaha never came out with an "S675" version, and they have yet to come out with an "SX600" or other replacement/upgrade, but again, as this model is 5 years old, they may be planning something -- but that is just a guess.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:16 AM »
It's true that the S670 panel controls and screen are a bit more awkward to use than S770 etc.

The feature set on the S670 though is far better than the E models. S670 uses basically the same OS as all the PSR-S and Tyros models. So while there are fewer voices available, it has all the features of mixing console, DSP, multipads, styles from USB, multi-track MIDI recording etc.
Genos

leo35

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
So would you recommend buying it?

blackpool

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »
I had a 670 for holiday use a while back ....very compact and lightweight ....I liked the sound and features of the 670 very much and do remember not having any issues using many of the imported style files from other Yamaha boards.... but did find the controls difficult to see as the labelling is not good IMHO, ( although my eyesight is not great ). I remember i found the print on the case difficult in certain light .... This was the main reason i sold mine.

The 770/5 onwards are a better option i think and as has been said, the screen is far better on these less basic models with the regular A to J side buttons on all the other models in a better position.

It is a nice neat unit the 670 but more in my view just to 'sit and play' rather than use for working on ...ie..registration building etc..
I would buy an SX700 if you can afford the difference and there are some used ones now around....much later tech than a 670 and streets ahead on features!

Well thats my take on it if it helps...

BTW....I imagine new 670's wont be around for much longer...it's years old, beyond its sell by date and hardly sits well now with the PSR SX models...so not the best investment if your buying new .... I think there will be something new soon to fill this segment between the E series and the SX700, as there is NOTHING available..... This is simply my personal view ...

Keith
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:30:20 PM by blackpool »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
It's always a tricky decision Leo. If you  really enjoy playing, buy the best you can afford without overstretching yourself. The pain of spending fades in time, compared to the ongoing  enjoyment ...  :)

If S670 is as far as you can go, there's no doubt that the S670 is better than the E series. It's likely - but no guarantees - that the S670 will be replaced at some point.

How prone to 'buyers regret' are you.

If you buy a new S670 today, and a new replacement model comes out in a couple of months, will you (a) not care or (b) kick yourself. Everyone has different feelings. Some will be very happy with what they have, others will itch to have the best they can afford.
Genos

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »
The PSR-S670 was launched in 2016. A successor is actually years overdue. Here in Germany the PSR-S670 is not available at many dealers at the moment. Maybe the successor will be available soon.

I still think the price-performance-ratio of the PSR-S670 is very good. The "distance" to the smaller E-series is much bigger than to the PSR-S770.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:27:01 PM by tomsixtwo »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi Leo,

I had S670 and all I can say is: get it! Ok, the display is pretty much the same as you had on MM6, which is my main complain. The thing is, S670 is a "real" arranger and working with styles/voices (modifying) isn't really comfortable on that tiny display -but can be managed. As for the rest, S670 is a BIG upgrade from MM6 in every aspect (for example, 128 notes polyphony vs 32 on MM6 makes a huge difference).

Even being a bit "old", on S670 you can do everything latest keyboards can -less comfortable, though. And obviously, 670 lacks some goodies compared to newer models. What I'm trying to say is, S670 is a great way to step into arranger keyboards world on a budget. And if it turns out that creating/editing styles (accompaniments) isn't really your thing, you still have a great sound and huge amount of styles available on internet. But then, built-in amount of (good!) styles and voices will keep you busy for quite some time anyway.

After saying all above, I wouldn't go for S770/775... difference in features isn't really that big (except more comfortable workflow because of larger display). Of course, if you decide for S670, later you might wish for "more". That's ok and usually happens no matter what you buy.  :)

Just my 2c,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

leo35

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the info! 8)

shuey

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 07:44:02 PM »
I had the 670 for 3 yrs and i would definitely recommend it to anyone with a budget of under $700. Yes its annoying not to have buttons on the side of the screen and not be able to connect a mic but its still a very solid piece overall.